SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
My partner had to take the Mustang out for an unavoidable appointment this morning.
The roads had iced over last night. We live on a relatively steep hill.

She was using one-pedal drive and found that the one pedal drive provides far more control over the vehicle on icy roads than she's experienced in previous vehicles. In fact, at one point the vehicle used ABS to control some loss of traction...without her having to put her foot on the brake.

This is a nice new thing to learn, even if it might have been expected.
Sponsored

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Yup even my RWD CA Rt1 drives nice on slippery surfaces (including ice) in 1-P mode.

The car engages the ABS quite frequently in that instance.

OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
Yup even my RWD CA Rt1 drives nice on slippery surfaces (including ice) in 1-P mode.

The car engages the ABS quite frequently in that instance.
I was skeptical of 1P simply because I'm skeptical of new tech until I've had a chance to test it out.

I am happy to say it's working fairly well and I'm learning how to use it. I do wish it would disengage while I'm backing up and I wish it was easy to get to in the menu so I could disengage it when moving at low speeds where I want the vehicle's momentum to take over instead of stopping immediately.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I was skeptical of 1P simply because I'm skeptical of new tech until I've had a chance to test it out.

I am happy to say it's working fairly well and I'm learning how to use it. I do wish it would disengage while I'm backing up and I wish it was easy to get to in the menu so I could disengage it when moving at low speeds where I want the vehicle's momentum to take over instead of stopping immediately.
You could always pop the car into neutral at slow speeds and let it roll--a bit easier than turning off 1-P and the brakes still work in N.

I typically do that at a car wash: Pop it in N prior to the car coming to a stop. Then when leaving pop it back into D.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I did a control test on a certain stretch of road. When it was very snowy/icy/slippery. I tried three passes each at 60 MPH and beginning my stop at the same mailbox.
1. OPD letting it do it’s thing.
2. 2-pedal allowing the ABS to kick in.
3. 2-pedal trying to not slide and have ABS kick in.

2-pedal with abs kicking in took the longest time as I slid a fair amount. And the distance was OK. But felt pretty out of control

2-pedal without hitting ABS felt like it took forever and certainly took the longest distance.

OPD stopped me quicker and in less distance and felt like it was in total control. So I’ve stayed in OPD all winter.

Last edited:

OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
I did a control test on a certain stretch of road. When it was very snowy/icy/slouch. I tried three passes each at 60 MPH and beginning my stop at the same mailbox.
1. OPD letting it do it’s thing.
2. 2-pedal allowing the ABS to kick in.
3. 2-pedal trying to not slide and have ABS kick in.

2-pedal with abs kicking in took the longest time as I slid a fair amount. And the distance was OK. But felt pretty out of control

2-pedal without hitting ABS felt like it took forever and had certainly took the longest distance.

OPD stopped me quicker and in less distance and felt like it was in total control. So I’ve stayed in OPD all winter.
This is similar to my experience with a Prius when they added the "B" drive mode, which I'm just now realizing was something similar to an early version of one-pedal driving.

jimitoast

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Acuras (MDX, TL), 2022 Mach E GTPE
Occupation
Shepherd
Country flag
Out of curiosity, did you test any differences by drive mode (unbridled, engage, whisper) for the 3 options you tested?

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Out of curiosity, did you test any differences by drive mode (unbridled, engage, whisper) for the 3 options you tested?
I did not. Figuring unbridled had the strongest braking and didn’t result in sliding or abs activation, I thought surely the “lesser modes” would not get me stopped any faster.

jimitoast

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Acuras (MDX, TL), 2022 Mach E GTPE
Occupation
Shepherd
Country flag
I did not. Figuring unbridled had the strongest braking and didn’t result in sliding or abs activation, I thought surely the “lesser modes” would not get me stopped any faster.
Your logic seems sound to me. Thanks!
Sponsored