Opening Frunk With Jump Box

Thesmoothdome

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Star White Metallic Premium eRWD
Country flag
Before someone jumps in and tells me to search, I did and if it wasn't good enough for you, please don't respond to this thread. Sad that I need to state that before asking, but there's a few folks here who just feel like it's their job to get bent out of shape about questions that have already have answers anywhere on the internet.
We're getting ready for a 1200 mile trip and I added a 12v jump box to cargo gear as a just in case so I can open the frunk if the car dies. I've read the manual and followed the procedure, but can't get it open with either the box or a straight up jump from my wife's car.

I'm wondering if I'm missing something like the battery has to be dead before the terminals can open the trunk or if my terminals just don't work. Any advice appreciated.
Sponsored

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
It will only work if the car's 12v battery is dead. If the 12v has a charge, it disables the jump leads.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Yes, it only works when the 12V battery is dead. And if the jump box is in the car, you may not be able to get to it.

OP
OP
Thesmoothdome

Thesmoothdome

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, it only works when the 12V battery is dead. And if the jump box is in the car, you may not be able to get to it.
Thanks for the quick responses. That's a load off of my mind. We'll be traveling with a hitch mounted cargo box, so I plan on keeping the jump box in there.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Thanks for the quick responses. That's a load off of my mind. We'll be traveling with a hitch mounted cargo box, so I plan on keeping the jump box in there.
Also, make sure your jump box has a mode to override the safety feature that prevents it from sending power when no voltage is detected.

OP
OP
Thesmoothdome

Thesmoothdome

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Also, make sure your jump box has a mode to override the safety feature that prevents it from sending power when no voltage is detected.
Thanks for the info! Luckily, the one I ordered has that.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Lastly, make sure to store the jump box in a location that you can access if the battery is too dead to open the door with the pillar code.
🤔
Sponsored