Options/Cost for coating, sealing, wrapping black trim ?

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I have a Select with the 'natural' black ABS trim around wheels and rocker panels.... Vehicle is now 2 years old, and I live in brutal conditions for black plastic; intense sun, dirt roads, mud, snow, ice, salted scoria on highways in the winter which creates reddish cement stuck to car....

I wash my car about once a week, or after snow melts off highways in the winter.

I've tried 'many' different products on the black trim to try to maintain 'black', but it is drifting toward streaks of gray unless I put on blacking and work it in.... Anything too goopy doesn't dry and collects massive amounts of brown dust if I drive even a short way on a dirt road or driveway, of which there are many....

So...... what are my options/cost ?

- pull trim, sand, prime, paint ?

- pull trim, sand, wrap ? or can wrap be done in situ without removal/sanding for good adhesion ?

- pull trim, replace with factory pre-painted trim (gloss black or body color) ordered thru Dealer ?
Sponsored

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I’m afraid option 3 is probably your best bet. Or just dealing with it, which is sad, I know.
In these winter conditions, even sanding, and then painting with good bonding primer and good paint, will chip off easy. I’ve mastered painting cheap plastic for interior pieces, but it wouldn’t hold on exterior pieces in winter.
Vinyl won’t stick to that kind of plastic at all, ever.
You can try some Chemical guys VRP which may bring back the clean glossy black but it’s probably not going to last too long. Winter is just hard. Even my pride and joy green machine looks like a military vehicle in a war zone right now.