Orange County Blue Cruise

mdolan92869

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e (Had '83 GT, '89 GT Ragtop, '13 GT)
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
Does anyone know if there's a post or group that is keeping track of Blue Cruise highways? Specifically Southern California. Ford's map is just a blue blob. IF there is, let me know. If not, here goes what I found out today for Orange County:
  1. 241 toll road south from Chapman/Santiago Canyon Road to 133 south - works except when the road narrows from 3 to 2 lanes, gets confused by the disappearing lane line and the transition to the 133 south
  2. 133 south to I405, fine once off transition from the 241 and lost again at the I5 interchange
  3. I405 north to Jamboree, fine the whole way once on from the 133 transition
Will be driving around some more this weekend seeing where it does and doesn't work.
Sponsored

gpgrim

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR 4XP, MB E-350, Exp. EB, Subaru XTrek
Occupation
Physicist
Country flag
Does anyone know if there's a post or group that is keeping track of Blue Cruise highways? Specifically Southern California. Ford's map is just a blue blob. IF there is, let me know. If not, here goes what I found out today for Orange County:
  1. 241 toll road south from Chapman/Santiago Canyon Road to 133 south - works except when the road narrows from 3 to 2 lanes, gets confused by the disappearing lane line and the transition to the 133 south
  2. 133 south to I405, fine once off transition from the 241 and lost again at the I5 interchange
  3. I405 north to Jamboree, fine the whole way once on from the 133 transition
Will be driving around some more this weekend seeing where it does and doesn't work.
I assume by "Blue Cruise" you mean "hands free?" If it is a highway, it'll be "hands free," except in obvious high risk areas, such as congested merges, flyovers etc...

OP
OP
mdolan92869

mdolan92869

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I assume by "Blue Cruise" you mean "hands free?" If it is a highway, it'll be "hands free," except in obvious high risk areas, such as congested merges, flyovers etc...
Assuming that they mapped it. I was really wondering about the toll roads, if they paid to get on them or not.

gpgrim

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Physicist
Country flag
Assuming that they mapped it. I was really wondering about the toll roads, if they paid to get on them or not.
Blue Cruise is Ford's branding of adaptive cruise control combined with lane centering. It operates the same in both "hands free" and "hands on" mode. It does not use any route mapping to operate.
Access to "hands free" mode only requires the roadway be part of the "hands free" routes Ford has identified. Once activated you'll happily be chauffeured by the equivalent of a new driver who just got their learner's permit, i.e. not dangerous, but can sometimes make you wonder what they were thinking.

OP
OP
mdolan92869

mdolan92869

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Blue Cruise is Ford's branding of adaptive cruise control combined with lane centering. It operates the same in both "hands free" and "hands on" mode. It does not use any route mapping to operate.
Access to "hands free" mode only requires the roadway be part of the "hands free" routes Ford has identified. Once activated you'll happily be chauffeured by the equivalent of a new driver who just got their learner's permit, i.e. not dangerous, but can sometimes make you wonder what they were thinking.
That's not true. Here's from Ford's FAQ about Blue Cruise (highlighting mine). They send out crews to accurately map highways for this.

How does BlueCruise differ from other competitors?
BlueCruise differs from other competitors by offering a true hands-free driving experience on pre-qualified sections of road called BlueZones. BlueCruise also uses text and blue lighting cues to communicate that the feature is in hands-free mode. These cues are effective even for drivers with color blindness.

How do I check Hands-Free BlueZone coverage in my area prior to purchasing?
Hands-Free BlueZones are available on over 130,000 miles of highways across North America
. An interactive coverage map is coming soon.

gpgrim

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Physicist
Country flag
That's not true. Here's from Ford's FAQ about Blue Cruise (highlighting mine). They send out crews to accurately map highways for this.

How does BlueCruise differ from other competitors?
BlueCruise differs from other competitors by offering a true hands-free driving experience on pre-qualified sections of road called BlueZones. BlueCruise also uses text and blue lighting cues to communicate that the feature is in hands-free mode. These cues are effective even for drivers with color blindness.

How do I check Hands-Free BlueZone coverage in my area prior to purchasing?
Hands-Free BlueZones are available on over 130,000 miles of highways across North America
. An interactive coverage map is coming soon.
What's not true? I'm not seeing it.
Sponsored