Its_my_wifes_car

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 - Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I placed an order online (and accepted by my dealer) for our 2022 Premium AWD / ER in early December. Two month of waiting have passed and I fully expected an even longer wait for eventual delivery. An hour ago I received an email from Ford stating the order was cancelled by my dealer. NOT HAPPY AT ALL! I called my dealer and the sales manager and got voicemail for both....so I forwarded the email from Ford to them with some very strong, yet civil, language demanding an explanation and a call back ASAP.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Order Cancelled by Dealer / Ford? / Panic Mode 1645560613507

I got a call back within a minute. They assured that my order is safe. They filled me in on the fact Ford is cracking down on dealers with fake orders by requiring copies of the driver's licenses be included for any orders (I remember seeing this in the forum). They learned of the specific action and email from Ford right before I sent it - because other customers were calling them frantically. They assured me that my order is safe and I will still have my place in line....and were very apologetic (and sounded frustrated with Ford).

I am not sure if they were planning to track down the customers and hadn't gotten around to it....or perhaps they were not aware that this guideline was retroactive to past orders. I won't relax until I see my original order number in my online tracking....with its original status and details.

In the end I don't feel they were being shady or incompetent. I honestly feel they were caught offguard (or are they BS-ing me?). I've had a great history with this dealer (this is my 3rd car from them). No ADM (I have it in writing) and they have always come through.

Has anyone else encountered this - or a dealer asking for license info retroactively?
Sponsored

mdpmdp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Premium RWD SR Grabber Blue
Country flag
My dealer has not asked for a copy of my license or any other documentation. I ordered completely online 10/1/21, paid my $500 deposit online, and received a build date last month.

rmins

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Prem Mach E SR RWD
Country flag
I received the same email. I ordered online 11/13/21, went to the dealer the next day and 'officially' got my order placed through the dealer. I received a cancellation email on 11/30/21. I called the dealership and they ensured the order is still active in their system. I even called Ford marketing and they were able to confirm the order is in the system (using the order code and sales code). I have not received a production date or VIN yet. Until I receive the VIN, I will only be able to get status updates on the order by calling the dealer.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
My guess is that someone at the dealer fat-fingered something and screwed up. Hopefully it is reversible. Or the Ford backend system is messed up again.

Either that or somebody there hates you!

OP
OP
Its_my_wifes_car

Its_my_wifes_car

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 - Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I received the same email. I ordered online 11/13/21, went to the dealer the next day and 'officially' got my order placed through the dealer. I received a cancellation email on 11/30/21. I called the dealership and they ensured the order is still active in their system. I even called Ford marketing and they were able to confirm the order is in the system (using the order code and sales code). I have not received a production date or VIN yet. Until I receive the VIN, I will only be able to get status updates on the order by calling the dealer.
I think I'll give it a little time and then I'll call Ford - I'm most worried about losing my place in line. i agree with a lot of what's said in these forums - the process is very messy.

bristol16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 GTPE, '15 SS
Country flag
Not really the same thing but similar...my dealer changed ownership between me ordering and my vehicle arriving and my order was cancelled due to my arrangement being with a dealership that no longer existed. I just stopped by and talked to a sales manager and asked if they needed a new deposit (mine had been refunded) and they assured me they did not and that my order was still mine. I was worried they would just take it and sell it plus ADM to someone walking in the door but they were very straight forward about the whole thing and I didn't have a problem. The vehicle had already been built and promised to the dealer when it all went down though. I usually don't initiate contact with "strong" language right out of the box without knowing both sides of the situation. I'm sure this happening to all of a dealers orders at one time is both unexpected and overwhelming for them if they are understaffed anything like most of the places around me. Hopefully they get it sorted out for you.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
The validation that the order is a real person, with an ID, is supposed to happen at the beginning. If the dealer didn't do it, then it wouldn't be a surprise that this happened eventually. Months later is a joke.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I did all of my communication with the dealer through whom I purchased my MME through email and phone (and a couple of PMs on this forum). The dealer did not ask for a copy of my DL until I was signing paperwork to pick up the car. I am sure that they probably *should* have gotten my ID before that point, but there you have it. ?‍♂?

nosnik50

First Name
Nosnik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach e
Country flag
I just saw this thread. I haven’t received a canceled email. However, I order my MME online so there was no requirement for a driver license. I just emailed my sales rep at the dealership a copy of license just in case.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I ordered 11/11/21 and they required a copy of my ID. I am not saying the dealer was doing anything shady but they should have known. This is in place to ensure dealers do not cheat to obtain vehicles and also needed for verification of price protection I would think. Hopefully this works out for you.

MrsZuko

First Name
Sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Space White MME GTPE
Occupation
NP
Country flag
Has anyone else encountered this - or a dealer asking for license info retroactively?
So yes actually, I placed my order in November which didn't go through until February (don't ask) and my dealer contacted me last week for a new copy of my driver's license for the order. They had a copy of my license already, but told me Ford wanted another copy, so I assume this is legit? I never received a cancellation notification though, so there's that. The ordering process for me has been interesting at best so...take that for what it's worth. ?

Last edited:

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
This happened to me when I ordered my Premium. I placed the order request on-line and finalized the order at the dealership. About a month later I got a cancelation notice like yours. For me, it was the addition of X-Plan pricing: they entered a new order rather than update the old one. They assured me my place in line had not changed, and I confirmed that later when it was scheduled for production and showed my original order date, not the month later one. So unless you think your dealer is dishonest, I would trust them that your order is still good.

TGIF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘18 Pacifica PHEV, ‘22 RR Premium 4X
Country flag
I placed an order in early October everything done via text/phone. I did send a picture of my DL which the salesperson said was to verify the order to Ford.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
My DL was required for all orders this past fall.

I also signed a spec sheet (with detailed pricing) and one had a partially filled out buyer’s order. I feel I am price protected if Ford continues to honor it.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Ford has warned dealers they will be cracking down on ones that don’t follow the retail order verification process. Most dealers have, but there is still a percentage that haven’t been doing things properly. Order cancellation is probably the result of non-compliance with this directive. Some dealers have to learn the hard way.
Sponsored

Last edited: