Order prior to price increase, increased in price

Reign of Ravens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E Premium, Chrysler PacHy
Country flag
@astronut325 how did it end up playing out for you?
Sponsored

astronut325

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium, Toyota Camry, Honda Odyssey
Occupation
Software analyst
Country flag
@astronut325 how did it end up playing out for you?
It took many phone calls, and emails with the dealer sales manager. Even then, I was almost a victim of bait and switch. In the end I got the original purchase price. I detailed my purchase in this post in the 5/16/22 order thread:
It was anything but smooth sailing when we got to the dealer yesterday. I was in constant touch with my sales person providing my info so the credit/finance piece can be taken care of before I get to the dealer. And this person confirmed they’ll honor the original purchase price and x-plan, the deal his manager agreed to in December. My wife and I get to the lot, the sales person first shows us the Mach-E. We are swooning over it!

Then we headed into his office and he lays out the paperwork. What price do I see? The current price, not the original purchase price! My wife and I were perplexed to say the least. The sales person basically said they don’t have the original order sheet, and he is unable to access Smart VINCENT, and the DORA is unavailable. I told him that’s unacceptable. I chose his dealer over the Ford dealer 5 minutes from my house.

This went back and forth for at least an hour and a half. The manager emails someone at Ford and confirms the original purchase price. Great! Then the sales person drops the 2nd bomb, we’re not able to apply x-plan pricing to my order unless we accept the invoice price. I didn’t accept that. I had to pull out the emails from his manager that confirms original price and x-plan pricing. The manager came in again after making a phone call to someone at Ford and figured out the x-plan pricing for the original purchase price. This took another hour or so.

Then the third bomb was dropped, namely because I didn’t realize it soon enough. I only realized this at final contract signing. They’re not crediting me the $325 for the removal of active park assist. The sales person said that’s not possible unless we go back to the invoice price. I said then I should get that for free when it comes available since I’m paying for it. The sales person said no, I asked for his manager to get involved. Manager comes in and agrees, in writing, to install the active park assist on our Mach-E at no additional cost when it becomes available.

We signed all the paperwork and provided the down payment. The sales person asked us to go play with the car and get it setup. We did that, and after about 20 minutes the sales person brought us the receipt for the down payment. He explained a few things about the Mach-E, got us setup in Ford Pass, and took a few pictures of my wife and I with our marvelous Mach-E.

Came home to my elated children that stormed the Mach-E the moment we pulled into the driveway.

The reason I’m posting this is because several people have asked me to detail the process of what I go through. This is was my journey to get my Mach-E. Hope it helps you folks get the original pricing. 3+ hours at the dealer. Kept my cool the whole time and always made it a point that I want the original agreement.

5EE99796-FC22-4E76-96E8-F47D3A23DA1B.jpeg

Now, I need some advice on what apps I need installed on my phone besides Ford Pass. Plug Share? Electrify America?

Reign of Ravens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for the follow-up. Come to think of it, I do recall reading your ordeal in that thread. I'm starting this process now... or really, finalizing, because I had already identified it was going to be an issue a few months ago. My car isn't due in for a few more weeks so I have some time, but man... it's like pulling teeth to get these dealers to do the right thing. Hopefully I get to share a success story similar to you.

astronut325

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software analyst
Country flag
Thanks for the follow-up. Come to think of it, I do recall reading your ordeal in that thread. I'm starting this process now... or really, finalizing, because I had already identified it was going to be an issue a few months ago. My car isn't due in for a few more weeks so I have some time, but man... it's like pulling teeth to get these dealers to do the right thing. Hopefully I get to share a success story similar to you.
I wish you nothing but the best. It should NOT be this difficult to get the original price/agreement. Remember to try to get everything in writing, but you might have to nag them over the phone too.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I bought my GTPE at the newest (2022) price over the weekend - even though I had price protection. The dealer is applying for price protection now and will send me the $3k check when it gets approved by Ford.

Less than ideal but we have a good relationship with them (bought my first MME off the lot at MSRP, traded in my Premium at 2022 MSRP for the GTPE, ordered Bronco with no deposit, never any markup nor forced add-ons)

Reign of Ravens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I wish you nothing but the best. It should NOT be this difficult to get the original price/agreement. Remember to try to get everything in writing, but you might have to nag them over the phone too.
I sort of blame Ford for this, but I understand that what they can do is limited because the dealer ultimately sets the price. If Ford was intending on doing price protection, it seems a lot of this could have been avoided if they had just kept the MSRP as the original, instead of making the dealer have to do some extra work.

As for the dealers... It gets weird. I have no choice but to hope that this really is a case of just not knowing about it or what to do, as opposed to manipulative greed. The entire thing is strange though, because I know very well that they stand to make more money if they still it to anyone but me. I'm sure they know it, too - hell, a few months ago when I tried to discuss pricing, their sales manager told me to my face that they'd lose money by selling to me at MSRP, and that I'd likely be the last person they sold at MSRP to (which I loosely have in writing from them, binding them to it). It was a rather unpleasant experience. So what incentive do they have to make me happy? Seems more like they have every reason to try and make me so upset that I give up the order. Given the current circumstances, can't imagine Ford offers a big enough incentive (or penalty) based around who ordered the car and who ends up buying it - definitely not enough to compete with the ADM we're seeing these days.

We'll see how it goes... Might end up posting back here, or making a thread for my own long story once the car arrives. Thanks again for your guidance.

astronut325

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software analyst
Country flag
I sort of blame Ford for this, but I understand that what they can do is limited because the dealer ultimately sets the price. If Ford was intending on doing price protection, it seems a lot of this could have been avoided if they had just kept the MSRP as the original, instead of making the dealer have to do some extra work.

As for the dealers... It gets weird. I have no choice but to hope that this really is a case of just not knowing about it or what to do, as opposed to manipulative greed. The entire thing is strange though, because I know very well that they stand to make more money if they still it to anyone but me. I'm sure they know it, too - hell, a few months ago when I tried to discuss pricing, their sales manager told me to my face that they'd lose money by selling to me at MSRP, and that I'd likely be the last person they sold at MSRP to (which I loosely have in writing from them, binding them to it). It was a rather unpleasant experience. So what incentive do they have to make me happy? Seems more like they have every reason to try and make me so upset that I give up the order. Given the current circumstances, can't imagine Ford offers a big enough incentive (or penalty) based around who ordered the car and who ends up buying it - definitely not enough to compete with the ADM we're seeing these days.

We'll see how it goes... Might end up posting back here, or making a thread for my own long story once the car arrives. Thanks again for your guidance.
Happy to help. And yes I agree. This whole ordeal started with Ford deciding to change the price on existing orders and then leaving it up to the dealers to make it “correct.”

The whole thing has left a sour taste in my mouth.

MrsZuko

First Name
Sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Space White MME GTPE
Occupation
NP
Country flag
Here in Colorado (Phil Long Ford), I just was told that they would be honoring the original price. Apparently, the dealer just needs to do some stuff with FORD to tell them what happened when the car shows up.
Was this Chapel Hills or Motor City? I am all set to fight Motor City on my price increase. It was their error as I placed an order on 11/24/21, paperwork with my signature reflects one price, they did not place my order until 2/1/22 so my MSRP is 3k ahead. Not sure I'll be able to make that up, but your post gives me some hope that maybe they'll own up to a mistake if they are willing to honor your original price.

Reign of Ravens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't think I'm going to be able to get it. Sales contact and sales manager say they don't know anything about it. Considering this affected all Ford sales and not just the Mach-E, that's a lot of customers leaving money on the table due to their incompetence (assuming they weren't pocketing it, themselves). Ford told me to direct them to the regional representative, who apparently said that if it's not listed in the incentives, I'm not eligible. Price protection this time around isn't an incentive, so of course it's not there. I called Ford back again today and this person had no idea about it. They were sympathetic and said they hope I get it, but couldn't offer any guidance.

All of you with competent and kind dealers, send them a Christmas present this year to thank them, because it seems they're pretty rare and they literally saved you money. This part of the experience has made me go from "this is the first and last time I deal with this dealership" to "this is the last time I buy a Ford." Maybe the dealership will make it right in the end, or maybe the car will amaze me so much that I feel differently in time... But right now, the dealership can still do a whole lot to get between me and my order, and the purchase hasn't been made yet. Ford might not even get the chance to try and change my opinion, at this rate.

BeepBoop

First Name
Syed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E CR1 AWD (soon, hopefully)
Country flag
Hello,
I wanted to ask if any of you had a situation like this:
I put in my first order for a premium standard range AWD before the price increase, but then changed it to a California Route AWD after the price increase. Do you think I am eligible for the original CR1 AWD price or not? Also, I ordered on 10/30/21 on the Ford website but the dealer put the order in on 12/16/2021. Does this change anything?

Last edited:

Wingman335

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Cruiser 200, FJ Cruiser, BMW M3
Country flag
Hello,
I wanted to ask if any of you had a situation like this:
I put in my first order for a premium standard range AWD before the price increase, but then changed it to a California Route AWD after the price increase. Do you think I am eligible for the original CR1 AWD price or not? Also, I ordered on 10/30/21 on the Ford website but the dealer put the order in on 12/16/2021. Does this change anything?
I've been told by my dealer that if you make changes to the order after a price increase, you'll end up paying the newer, higher price. That's because it pretty much becomes a new order while keeping your place in line.

jr4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e
Country flag
I've been told by my dealer that if you make changes to the order after a price increase, you'll end up paying the newer, higher price. That's because it pretty much becomes a new order while keeping your place in line.
Not true per this forum. Just the easy answer? My dealer told me they could not pull up my original order sheet, but they did not deny that my original price applies. They just didn't want to pay me before they got the check from Ford.

Ford will likely cut a check for the full difference to the dealer. You are entitled to that.

Oh... you changed the base trim. Not sure about that. I just changed the color.

mayro03

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e 2022 Route 1
Country flag
Thank you all. I'm preparing for receipt of my Rt1 ordered late Oct. 2021 and Ford Corporate is saying they will not do any price protection and i have to deal with the dealership regarding the 2K +tax MSPR increase that occurred several months after my original order.

Receiving a '22 and ordered a '22 so no conversion from a previous build year. Any other advice or recommendation as i push forward and car arrives? I have a paper trail of communication with Ford previously that says the dealer can request price protection but now corporate has changed it's tune a few days away from delivery.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Thank you all. I'm preparing for receipt of my Rt1 ordered late Oct. 2021 and Ford Corporate is saying they will not do any price protection and i have to deal with the dealership regarding the 2K +tax MSPR increase that occurred several months after my original order.

Receiving a '22 and ordered a '22 so no conversion from a previous build year. Any other advice or recommendation as i push forward and car arrives? I have a paper trail of communication with Ford previously that says the dealer can request price protection but now corporate has changed it's tune a few days away from delivery.
“Price protection” protects you from MSRP increases from when you order.

I know people got this when they converted from 2021 to 2022, honestly not sure if it was offered when the 2022 price increased.

Do you have a signed purchase agreement with a price on I from Last year?

avinator

First Name
Avinash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Energi,Mach E,Honda Pilot
Country flag
“Price protection” protects you from MSRP increases from when you order.

I know people got this when they converted from 2021 to 2022, honestly not sure if it was offered when the 2022 price increased.

Do you have a signed purchase agreement with a price on I from Last year?
Ford does not go price protection it works via the dealer. I was one who got switched from 2021 to 2022 and got protection from the dealer though i had order in with required documentation of prices agreed, it was honored.
Sponsored