Order prior to price increase, increased in price

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
While I agree with what you said and I've said it myself. The issue comes down do what you ordered. You ordered a MY21. Pain and simple.

There are no MY21s being made. It doesn't matter what you agreed to if the product your ordered isn't being made.

The "contact" doesn't morph into a MY22 because that's what you think you deserve. A contract is only valid for the products listen within it. A different MY is a different product, like it or not.

Good luck with your fight. I don't think you have a leg to stand on but if you get it for less, more power to you.
Let's look at some factual information.

I ordered a 2021 on 5/29. In October, it was converted to a 2022. The price went up by $595. Ford sent me an email with a $750 incentive, i.e. lowering the price on my order by $155. So I will pay less for my 2022 than I expected to pay for my 2021.

Yes, the contract did in fact "morph" into a 2022.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Order prior to price increase, increased in price converted order.PNG
Sponsored

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
While I agree with what you said and I've said it myself. The issue comes down do what you ordered. You ordered a MY21. Pain and simple.

There are no MY21s being made. It doesn't matter what you agreed to if the product your ordered isn't being made.

The "contact" doesn't morph into a MY22 because that's what you think you deserve. A contract is only valid for the products listen within it. A different MY is a different product, like it or not.

Good luck with your fight. I don't think you have a leg to stand on but if you get it for less, more power to you.
The easiest solution for anyone with a trade in:

Negotiate another $2k on your trade in value.

And with the way used car prices have gone up, should be easy.

Mine went up by about $5k from when I ordered (April) and took delivery (October).

Should the dealer have given me less since “we had a deal in April?” ?

And FYI, I actually did get a written offer in April for my trade in that they said they would honor at delivery “or give me more if the value went up.” I got more.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Let's look at some factual information.

I ordered a 2021 on 5/29. In October, it was converted to a 2022. The price went up by $595. Ford sent me an email with a $750 incentive, i.e. lowering the price on my order by $155. So I will pay less for my 2022 than I expected to pay for my 2021.

Yes, the contract did in fact "morph" into a 2022.

converted order.PNG
Ok because they choose to do that. What's your point?

If they didn't choose to do that then you'd be screwed. If everyone got the letter you got then why would this thread exist?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ok because they choose to do that. What's your point?

If they didn't choose to do that then you'd be screwed.
You said:

"There are no MY21s being made. It doesn't matter what you agreed to if the product your ordered isn't being made.

Good luck with your fight. I don't think you have a leg to stand on but if you get it for less, more power to you. "

I was merely pointing out that in fact the contract did morph into a MY22, and is 100% valid. There is no need to stand on one leg, or the other leg, since there is no issue.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
You said:

"There are no MY21s being made. It doesn't matter what you agreed to if the product your ordered isn't being made.

Good luck with your fight. I don't think you have a leg to stand on but if you get it for less, more power to you. "

I was merely pointing out that in fact the contract did morph into a MY22, and is 100% valid. There is no need to stand on one leg, or the other leg, since there is no issue.
So... This thread is 100% trolling. Because everyone got a letter like you?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Yes, everyone that had their 2021s converted to a 2022 got an email, not a letter, just like me. There was a whole thread on it.
If that's the case the admin should close the thread.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If that's the case the admin should close the thread.
Nah, because “dealers will do
what dealers do,” try to get more money out of unknowing customers.

Why do they do it? For the money of course.

The BEST outcome for the dealer is the original person who ordered backs out and they get an additional $5k ADM selling it to someone else.

Want to “screw over” the dealer? Buy the car at MSRP. Even the $2k increased MSRP. It’s actually the meanest thing you can do.

If you cancel, you’re doing them a favor.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Nah, because “dealers will do
what dealers do,” try to get more money out of unknowing customers.

Why do they do it? For the money of course.

The BEST outcome for the dealer is the original person who ordered backs out and they get an additional $5k ADM selling it to someone else.

Want to “screw over” the dealer? Buy the car at MSRP. Even the $2k increased MSRP. It’s actually the meanest thing you can do.

If you cancel, you’re doing them a favor.
I get that but this thread is about someone placing an order for a MY21 and then seeing the MY22 price increase.

That would be expected because the MY22 is a different product than the MY21. But if they are being given a "voucher" for a discount then I fail to see why the price increase matters if they have an offset to it. Seems like the thread might be trolling.

Regulus7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
993 C4 Cab, Macan S, SantaFe, Ice Blue MME GT
Occupation
Money Manager
Country flag
While it may still take another 3-5 years, the fact is that the antiquated dealer selling model will eventually go away as more and more new car companies do direct to customer sales and used car platforms become dominant. In a way these next few years of supply shortages and booming economy may be the last profitable years for many legacy dealers. So In a way we should not begrudge them the market opportunity to make more $. Ultimately we can just walk away. I came close to buying a GT back in late October as I was tempted to pay $8k over msrp but I did not need another car right now so I opted instead to order a ‘22. If they stick me with a large markup I can always walk away again…

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I get that but this thread is about someone placing an order for a MY21 and then seeing the MY22 price increase.

That would be expected because the MY22 is a different product than the MY21. But if they are being given a "voucher" for a discount then I fail to see why the price increase matters if they have an offset to it. Seems like the thread might be trolling.
I don’t think it’s trolling. Trolling would assume the OP knew that what they’re saying isn’t true.

Seems more likely that it’s a legit concern that the dealer will raise the price at delivery.

And that has happened…… way more than once.

The lesson to everyone? Always get price in writing.

I also think (not sure) that the $750 email went out before the $2-3k price increase.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
While it may still take another 3-5 years, the fact is that the antiquated dealer selling model will eventually go away as more and more new car companies do direct to customer sales and used car platforms become dominant. In a way these next few years of supply shortages and booming economy may be the last profitable years for many legacy dealers. So In a way we should not begrudge them the market opportunity to make more $. Ultimately we can just walk away. I came close to buying a GT back in late October as I was tempted to pay $8k over msrp but I did not need another car right now so I opted instead to order a ‘22. If they stick me with a large markup I can always walk away again…
Dealer model is a law. Unless they change the law, it isn’t going anywhere.

And for those concerned about pricing and the dealer model, the direct model is WORSE!

Tesla raised the model Y LR a total of $9,000 last year!! And that’s on 2021s.

And here we complaining about $2k on a model year change (2021-2022).

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
The easiest solution for anyone with a trade in:

Negotiate another $2k on your trade in value.
If you can get $2k more for your trade, then you should be able to get that without having to pay more for the new car.

mdpmdp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Premium RWD SR Grabber Blue
Country flag
Nobody that ordered with a lower price is going to pay more, except those who had their 2021s rolled into 2022s, and already knew of a small price increase, with a $750 rebate that more than offset the increase, so they'll pay net less.

Those wasting their time calling uninformed dealers prior to a car even being made are worrying for no reason. You should be joyous, you're getting a $2,000 discount on a car so it's worth more before you even own it.

Find other things to worry about, like your range in cold weather... ? ?
Not sure why you would speak in absolutes when I expect AT LEAST 1 person to run into this issue with a local dealer. I'll be sure to quote you when somebody inevitably posts something to this effect in a few(?) months.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not sure why you would speak in absolutes when I expect AT LEAST 1 person to run into this issue with a local dealer. I'll be sure to quote you when somebody inevitably posts something to this effect in a few(?) months.
Please do. Of course make sure that person actually ordered a vehicle, instead of having the dealer say "we ordered a bunch, so you'll get one of them".

I expect much consternation, as uninformed salespeople say stupid things which people then regurgitate on social media. Ford will communicate to the dealerships, if they haven't already, and someone will leak that communication onto social media.

But hey, if you want to grow an ulcer worrying about it, have at it.
Sponsored