Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The original theory was that some number of unconverted cars or some additional ones (? if true) were given owner names under the MachDrop - that was teh understanding/premise and made sense at that time because the going theory was that the cars were anyway going to be made. The MachDrop makes no sense to me now knowing that they are not first delivered (still dont know that but very likely not delivered in first batch) and no production dates yet -

Off all the production dates seen so far, the FEs strategy seems confusing to me - not all early reservations of FEs have dates nor first build dates, so other than red calipers and blue color what exactly is the value Ford is assigning to this model is not clear to me.
The concept if the "First Edition" has more to do with special status as "collector's" item. Ford did the same thing in 2015: EVERY mustang made that year was in reality a 50th anniversary edition, but they only badged a small number of GT's as "50th anniversary" cars and charged out the nose for them. Dealers were able to sell them for $10,000 to $20,000 over list because people desired that status (and badge). Those cars were not the first off of the line, nor did they have any significant differences to other GT's.

The ASSUMPTION made here (and that fed on itself) was that Ford was going to build and ship all of the FE's exclusively, and then move on to the premiums. That idea did not come from Ford: from the reveal onward the First Edition and Premiums were termed as starting delivery in late 2020. That's all Ford said. Perhaps you feel @trutolife27 and other insiders should have disabused everyone of that incorrect notion more vehemently, but that is neither appropriate nor fair to lay the blame at their feet.

If you don't want to pay the $3600 for the "status" and minor cosmetic differences of the First Edition, then don't. The fact that Ford did a crappy job of telling you if you have a FE can work in your favor; keep your original order and cancel the FE.
Sponsored

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
I don't care about the extra charge. I would have paid extra for the paint and even trim anyway, which is often the case. But I do think they should have explained the launch a bit better as well as what the First Edition really meant. Other than that, it's just a dissapointment that it won't make the tax credit and that my existing trade value will continue to go down while waiting, but that's my problem. Ford can do whatever they want. I'll wait. I also have a GT on order. None of this extra time is unexpected. I've expected that from the start. Sometimes you just use the fourms as a sounding board to pass the time.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I don't care about the extra charge. I would have paid extra for the paint and even trim anyway, which is often the case. But I do think they should have explained the launch a bit better as well as what the First Edition really meant. Other than that, it's just a dissapointment that it won't make the tax credit and that my existing trade value will continue to go down while waiting, but that's my problem. Ford can do whatever they want. I'll wait. I also have a GT on order. None of this extra time is unexpected. I've expected that from the start. Sometimes you just use the fourms as a sounding board to pass the time.
Fair enough!

For what it's worth, very few will actually get their Mach E's in 2020, if any.

bprince

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Rapid Red AWD
Country flag
Idk why I feel like my personal experience has been less than stellar. I placed my Mach E order on July 6 through my local dealer (trying to support the working class). That was my biggest mistake.

My expected build date was late November; early December (factoring in COVID delays). I just got off the phone with my dealer bc unlike many of you guys, I still haven’t received my build date/vin.

My dealer just told me that my build date won’t be until January at the earliest because my order date was in August. I’m like WHAT?! He says bc I changed the color, it knocked me back. ???

At no point did the four representatives I spoke with advise me that changing the color would push me back a month! I live in Chicago. I can’t go through winter without a car. I won’t officially cancel until I actually get the build date (Just because I’m curious to see what it is).

But it pisses me off to high noon to be told that had I kept my original color, then I would’ve had a late November/early December build date!

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
For what it's worth, very few will actually get their Mach E's in 2020, if any.
Which makes me wonder what the hell they plan on doing all next month? Build 10 cars? Seems to me they could have scheduled many more than has been reported so far here. I guess this forum only represents a tiny portion of the orders then. Have to keep reminding myself of that.

Jim_I

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium X-R Batt RWD Carbonized Gray
Country flag
I hope this does not sound stupid, but I am not seeing the geographic pattern that ChasingCoral sees...

For example: 12/14 AZ-2 FL-3 GA-1 IL-1 MD-2 MN-1 NJ-1 TX-1 WA-3

That seems to me to just be random states all over the county.

California always gets a lot, as they buy the most. It was the same when I was waiting for both my Volt & Bolt. CA & NY and the other CARB states got theirs first. Then they starting shipping to the rest of the country. And Ohio, where I was then, was way down on the list.....

Or am I missing something?

And I agree with timbop. We were all hoping that we would get our cars early, with no justification or statement from Ford.

I am now looking at it this way. If they ramp up to 1500 cars per week, everyone should have their car by next July. You can wait, or you can cancel. Personally, if it is June and my car is still not here, I may cancel and order a 2022.

JMHO

Jim

Plutoman15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Excursion, Expedition
Country flag
Idk why I feel like my personal experience has been less than stellar. I placed my Mach E order on July 6 through my local dealer (trying to support the working class). That was my biggest mistake.

My expected build date was late November; early December (factoring in COVID delays). I just got off the phone with my dealer bc unlike many of you guys, I still haven’t received my build date/vin.

My dealer just told me that my build date won’t be until January at the earliest because my order date was in August. I’m like WHAT?! He says bc I changed the color, it knocked me back. ???

At no point did the four representatives I spoke with advise me that changing the color would push me back a month! I live in Chicago. I can’t go through winter without a car. I won’t officially cancel until I actually get the build date (Just because I’m curious to see what it is).

But it pisses me off to high noon to be told that had I kept my original color, then I would’ve had a late November/early December build date!
I changed my color a week ago or so and my order date still says 6/28/20 even though I got an email saying my order was updated when the color change went in. My dealer told me it would not change my place in line. My order number is 34,5xx so maybe since I am a later number it doesn't move my line position.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
The concept if the "First Edition" has more to do with special status as "collector's" item. Ford did the same thing in 2015: EVERY mustang made that year was in reality a 50th anniversary edition, but they only badged a small number of GT's as "50th anniversary" cars and charged out the nose for them. Dealers were able to sell them for $10,000 to $20,000 over list because people desired that status (and badge). Those cars were not the first off of the line, nor did they have any significant differences to other GT's.

The ASSUMPTION made here (and that fed on itself) was that Ford was going to build and ship all of the FE's exclusively, and then move on to the premiums. That idea did not come from Ford: from the reveal onward the First Edition and Premiums were termed as starting delivery in late 2020. That's all Ford said. Perhaps you feel @trutolife27 and other insiders should have disabused everyone of that incorrect notion more vehemently, but that is neither appropriate nor fair to lay the blame at their feet.

If you don't want to pay the $3600 for the "status" and minor cosmetic differences of the First Edition, then don't. The fact that Ford did a crappy job of telling you if you have a FE can work in your favor; keep your original order and cancel the FE.
Probably true @timbop.

bprince

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Rapid Red AWD
Country flag
I changed my color a week ago or so and my order date still says 6/28/20 even though I got an email saying my order was updated when the color change went in. My dealer told me it would not change my place in line. My order number is 34,5xx so may since I am a later number it doesn't move my line position.
Well, tell that to my dealer bc I certainly don’t understand why a color change in September pushed me back to a January receipt. I placed and paid for my order in person on July 6th and it was accepted on July 7th. I’m lost. I legit may not have a choice but to go Model Y because January won’t cut it in Chicago.

Waiting on a second follow up phone call, now.

JohnSernyk

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford CMax Energi
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Well, tell that to my dealer bc I certainly don’t understand why a color change in September pushed me back to a January receipt. I placed and paid for my order in person on July 6th and it was accepted on July 7th. I’m lost. I legit may not have a choice but to go Model Y because January won’t cut it in Chicago.

Waiting on a second follow up phone call, now.
We got our notification of our build week as December 14. We ordered a 1st edition.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Doesn‘t sound like your dealer knows what they’re talking about, which is the norm. Did you preorder in November of last year? If not, you were never getting a November/December build.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Which makes me wonder what the hell they plan on doing all next month? Build 10 cars? Seems to me they could have scheduled many more than has been reported so far here. I guess this forum only represents a tiny portion of the orders then. Have to keep reminding myself of that.
In November, the plant will be producing a few hundred cars per week; some number below 1,000 per week. Some of those will be an unknown number of FCTP cars which are yet to be built. Others will be for large EU corporate customers (such as EU leasing companies) and some will be NA individual customer cars. In the next 8 weeks and change at the Cuautitlan Stamping and Assembly Plant, I'd personally anticipate no more than a few thousand cars being built with half of those being FCTP vehicles. I base that only upon what I read here and on the other forum.

And you're correct, the sample of people here isn't even close to being a representative sampling of mach-e order holders.

bprince

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Rapid Red AWD
Country flag
We got our notification of our build week as December 14. We ordered a 1st edition.
When did you order your 1st Ed.? But then again, it still doesn’t really matter to me. At this point, it’s more about the principle than the date. I don't see why my date was pushed back WEEKS for a color change. Not a config change. A color change.

Did you preorder in November of last year? If not, you were never getting a November/December build.
Honestly, I’ve learned that the reservations didn’t really matter that much. actual orders did when they first opened. I say that bc i know of people who never reseved, but ordered early on and have nov 28 build date. Even my dealer just told me that had I not changed the color I wouldve been in his batch of early December dates.
So I’m truly lost.

solarmoo900

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE AWD ER
Country flag
The ASSUMPTION made here (and that fed on itself) was that Ford was going to build and ship all of the FE's exclusively, and then move on to the premiums. That idea did not come from Ford: from the reveal onward the First Edition and Premiums were termed as starting delivery in late 2020.
I on the phone with both the MachDrop people and my dealer asked specifically about this. I remember clearly the rep from MachDrop saying "Your overthinking this, the FE will come before all other cars" because I kept bringing up I only wanted to do this if it was guaranteed to come before my premium. My dealer confirmed the same.

So I think this goes back to everyone's complaint that Ford has been really bad at this miscommunication. If both your (outsourced) marketing team and your dealers don't know what is going on, why should you expect your customers to.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Honestly, I’ve learned that the reservations didn’t really matter that much. actual orders did when they first opened. I say that bc i know of people who never reseved, but ordered early on and have nov build dates. Even my deal just told me that had I not changed the color I wouldve been in his batch of early December dates.
so I’m truly Lost.
The only people I’ve seen report that they did not have reservations but have a build date are just getting that info from their dealers, not Ford. Those dealers are wrong.
Sponsored