Ordering questions when trading in

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Sienna, '22 Mach-E Premium ER AWD (PWRPONY)
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag
I currently drive a 2020 Mustang GT and have decided to trade it in on a Mach E. I would buy one off the lot if there are ever any available but I live in a small town and I don't think they've ever had one on the lot here. Looking to buy a Premium AWD Extended.
Should I wait for the 27th or go ahead and start talking to the dealership?
If I ordered one today, is it safe to assume it would be the 2022 model?
Will there be a new order queue for the 2022 or does it just roll the people currently waiting over into the new model?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Lord Polymath

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag
From what I've read it appears that the model year will dependent on when the order is placed, not when the order is delivered.

Cobra427

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost, 2022 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Following...

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Supposedly the order banks are closed for 2021 models now. I would assume if you placed the order today it would be held until the 27th when the 2022 order banks open. If you already have a dealer in mind, I would say that it’s good to get the ball rolling.

OP
OP
Lord Polymath

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag
Supposedly the order banks are closed for 2021 models now. I would assume if you placed the order today it would be held until the 27th when the 2022 order banks open. If you already have a dealer in mind, I would say that it’s good to get the ball rolling.
I'll probably do that soon but I keep thinking about another thread where someone said to just do it myself online. Part of my anxiety about this is how to handle the trade-in aspect. This is how I see it going down, anyone please correct me if I'm wrong.

1) On September 27th, I either go to the dealership and place an order or place an order at ford.com.
2) I wait what seems like an eternity for my MME to be built.
3) At some point in this waiting process, the dealership will have me come in and talk trade-in, financing, etc. I would assume this will happen once the car is complete and ready to be shipped, not just "in production" due to the chip shortage uncertainties.
4) When I get the call from the dealership, I will get offers on my current Mustang from CarMax, Carvanna, and somewhere else maybe. These can be used as leverage when the dealership low balls the trade-in value.
5) Enjoy the Mustang Mach-E

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
At some point in this waiting process, the dealership will have me come in and talk trade-in, financing, etc. I would assume this will happen once the car is complete and ready to be shipped
Not necessarily. My dealer had no interest in evaluating my trade or discussing financing before the day the car arrived at the dealership. I wasn't interested in dealing with a low-ball trade in offer that late in the game, so I just sold to Vroom instead.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Your narrative sounds like a plan. I am not even to the “in production” phase yet, so I haven’t gotten quotes on my trade in.

Cobra427

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The trade strategy hinges on the dealer and their sales philosophy.

We have decided to not buy the 2021 we have on order and instead place an online order as soon as the 2022 banks open on the 27th. Another decision we made was to investigate the new dealer that is now opening in the town nearest us, which had closed due to covid, and has been purchased by another dealer group.

We went to investigate and the new owner gave us a better price for our trade, and even said he would hold that price until our 2022 comes in, as long as we select him as the dealer when we order.

It's all about the dealer. I like your plan. Best of fortune.

willowma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium ER AWD on order
Country flag
I went through the trade-in process in online ordering after dealer delivery and the guaranteed offer was more than $5000 less than the on-line offers from Carmax and Carvana. At that point I didn't even bother with taking the car to the dealer for a quote. Also, the extended service plan price for an 8 year 100000 mile plan on online ordering was $2000 more than the dealer offered me, and $2300 more than I eventually bought it from FloodFord online.

OP
OP
Lord Polymath

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag
The trade strategy hinges on the dealer and their sales philosophy.

We have decided to not buy the 2021 we have on order and instead place an online order as soon as the 2022 banks open on the 27th. Another decision we made was to investigate the new dealer that is now opening in the town nearest us, which had closed due to covid, and has been purchased by another dealer group.

We went to investigate and the new owner gave us a better price for our trade, and even said he would hold that price until our 2022 comes in, as long as we select him as the dealer when we order.

It's all about the dealer. I like your plan. Best of fortune.
Interesting. That's very cool that they said they would hold the price offered for your trade, even though it's likely to be what, 4-6 months before the MME arrives? How are you going to order on the 27th? Go to the dealer or just do it online at home?

OP
OP
Lord Polymath

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
One other thing to think about with your trade is tax implications. In NY (and other places), you only pay sales tax on the difference between the trade value and the sale price, which can amount to quote a bit of savings.

OP
OP
Lord Polymath

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag
One other thing to think about with your trade is tax implications. In NY (and other places), you only pay sales tax on the difference between the trade value and the sale price, which can amount to quote a bit of savings.
You're right, I didn't think about that. Even if the dealership offers me $3k less than a private sell, I'd pay less in taxes.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
E
You're right, I didn't think about that. Even if the dealership offers me $3k less than a private sell, I'd pay less in taxes.
Exactly, sometimes you can make out a little bit selling privately or through another organization, but to me it just isn't worth the extra paperwork hassle (title transfer, plate surrender, insurance cancellation and restart, etc.). Trading in is just easier.

Cobra427

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Interesting. That's very cool that they said they would hold the price offered for your trade, even though it's likely to be what, 4-6 months before the MME arrives? How are you going to order on the 27th? Go to the dealer or just do it online at home?
We plan to order online. My 'new' dealer said that online orders/reservations get priority over dealer orders.
Sponsored