Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Awe man... Does that mean we have to call them semi-automatic wipers?
At least we have an actual stalk to control them ?
Hey they are way better than advertised--they are not "automatic," they are "autonomous." As autonomous wipers, they can choose to wipe anytime they choose to do so.
Sponsored

tonesto7

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Software Developer/System Admin
Country flag
Interesting idea. How would this work? Specifically:

How do you convince the vehicle to download through the proxy? The certs won't be trusted by the vehicle's known CAs, right?

How do you ensure the entire download occurs on Wifi and not cellular? (Or are you also suggesting to MITM the AT&T mobile network?)

If you disable the built in cellular modem, will the vehicle still get the update on wifi, or will it refuse to start the transaction?

Once you have the files on a USB drive, how do you tell the vehicle to perform the upgrade?

That is awesome!! I hope you get a chance to borrow an F-150 Lightning for a few days, and then report back with your thoughts compared to the ICE/hybrid ones.
Your right about the CAā€¦ I havenā€™t been able to find a way to install the cert so the SSL traffic would be trusted.
There has to be some sort of way to install a cert via USB.

I actually have a Raspberry pi running MITMProxy which acts as a Hotspot for devices to connect to it that I want to sniff out data, and I just plug the PIā€™s NIC interface into my local network to provide internet.

Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s not possible to proxy cellular connections without physical access to the TCU hardware.

As far as electric vs ICEā€¦ I love my 3.5L EcoBoost but I hate these turbo power trains they just donā€™t drive smoothly like naturally aspirated motors. So Iā€˜m 100% certain I will the instant torque and smoothness of all-electric. I will be getting a Lightning for sure once my 3-year lease is up in March of 2024
All we likely need is the URL to file seed for the compressed update. I wonder if I can have my Unifi system log all requests to a certain domain like *.ford.com

Again this is all speculative and no real-world examples exist for working with the Sync4 USB + Files

Last edited:

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
I took a look to see if the update was available on FDRS (the 1.6 update was indeed a GWM update; after the 1.6 was pushed OTA, the GWM wasn't listed as a module needed an update).

Anyway, sadly I only have these two showing as updates:

Ford Mustang Mach-E [OTA] 1.7.1 Appears to be incoming 1633140747837

Interestingly, and I didn't quite realize this earlier, I can check any number of VINs for updates without needing to plug the car in. So if anyone wants to check what updates might be listed for their specific vehicle, feel free to PM me. My license is only valid for 48 hours from the time of this post, though.

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e
Country flag
Same boat....I decided to reach out to Ford customer service this morning who put me in touch with the "OTA" department. Apparently my car has no updates pending even though I don't even have 1.4... No next steps given, just "my screen says your car is up to date" lol
Same here ..Iā€™ve only had your system is up to date message since Iā€™ve gotten the car

fallguy

First Name
fallguy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender, 1968 Mustang, 2021 Mach-E GT
Occupation
Federal
Country flag
I hope everyone gets the update soon. The frunk button on console and app are fantastic. I went from using the frunk once a month, so once a day. It's just far more convenient.

Only thing that could be better, it foot activation for opening it like the trunk.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I hope everyone gets the update soon. The frunk button on console and app are fantastic. I went from using the frunk once a month, so once a day. It's just far more convenient.

Only thing that could be better, it foot activation for opening it like the trunk.
Have you tried using the number pad on the door to open the frunk? Thatā€™s how Iā€™m planning to do it most of the time.

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
Interestingly, and I didn't quite realize this earlier, I can check any number of VINs for updates without needing to plug the car in. So if anyone wants to check what updates might be listed for their specific vehicle, feel free to PM me. My license is only valid for 48 hours from the time of this post, though.
Just for reference, I can't actually tell what Powerup updates or TSB issues your particular vehicle might have; I assume Powerup 1.7.1 will show as an APIM update, while the other module updates need to be cross-referenced manually with the TSBs posted. Sorry I wasn't more clear with this in my earlier post :(

hbirring01

First Name
Harman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
In this update do changes to sync settings stick after turning the car off and on again. Specifically wondering about the touchscreen beeps being turned off. Tia

OP
OP
benk016

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
In this update do changes to sync settings stick after turning the car off and on again. Specifically wondering about the touchscreen beeps being turned off. Tia
I haven't tested that setting specifically, but so far everything I've noticed is saving and loading back as expected.

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
The frunk button on console and app are fantastic
Does it actually work for you? I heard it added the button, but it wasnā€™t working yet.
Have you tried using the number pad on the door to open the frunk?
You can do that? Whatā€™s the key you hold?

unhandled

First Name
Mathieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Weird behaviour this morning. Before I took my car for a quick drive, I checked for updates and the the main screen turned off. I then figured I would drive anyway and started to back-up, the rear camera was working on and off for a few seconds and then the main screen rebooted. This has never happened to me before.

Now I just noticed the TCU being connected longer than usual but itā€™s now disconnected. Anyone else noticed something like that? Precursor to the update download/installation?

MachTee

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium Infinite Blue SR AWD
Country flag
My car is on 1.6. With a bit of fiddling, I was able to turn off the touchscreen beeps and it stayed off. I then wanted it back on. Also took a bit of fiddling and it now stays on. The one thing I cannot get to stick is the automatic ambient light selection to stay off. I want it on red at all times, and with the automatic selection stuck to on, my red selection always gets overridden. I'm glad though that my sound system settings always sticks. If I had to reset it each time it will drive me nuts.