Mechanical Engineer
Country flag

Mathington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
I have read every page of this thread but now just honestly cannot remember...does this 1.7.1 update ALSO add expanded CarPlay (vertical version) or just navigation directions in the IPC? I know the GTs have expanded CarPlay but wasn't sure if this update included it.
I saw this expanded CarPlay in one of the Mach-E GT PE review videos and thought it was really cool. I hope they bring this to my regular Mach-E Premium soon, I like the extra screen space use and layout change.

OP
OP
benk016

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I saw this expanded CarPlay in one of the Mach-E GT PE review videos and thought it was really cool. I hope they bring this to my regular Mach-E Premium soon, I like the extra screen space use and layout change.
It should come. Eventually. The version the GT vehicles are running is about a week newer than the version coming in 1.7.1 OTA. But that version the GTs have is also not from the stable builds like the OTA version is.

Last edited:

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
So Just another bit of info coming in.

This OTA rollout is NOT suspended. It is just being rolled out in a VERY slow way. Way slower than I think anyone would have imagined it would go, even for the first real OTA. Don't be surprised if you don't see this for several more weeks. It sounds like they are actively making some tweaks to the deployment process as they go based on customer feedback, and data from the cars.
From what I've heard, 1.7.1 is not only adding a few new features and fixing PaaK yet again, it is also being used to test updating a number of modules in preparation for BlueCruise. Checking to see how things are going with the updates may be slowing it down.

Remember that lots of modules have not been tested with real-world OTAs. Some of those modules are extremely critical.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
From what I've heard, 1.7.1 is not only adding a few new features and fixing PaaK yet again, it is also being used to test updating a number of modules in preparation for BlueCruise. Checking to see how things are going with the updates may be slowing it down.

Remember that lots of modules have not been tested with real-world OTAs. Some of those modules are extremely critical.
At this rate, it seems most Mach E owners won't be getting BlueCruise until 2022. A shame they couldn't stick to their schedule, although as with things of this nature, we must assume there's a good reason they're behind.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
So Just another bit of info coming in.

This OTA rollout is NOT suspended. It is just being rolled out in a VERY slow way. Way slower than I think anyone would have imagined it would go, even for the first real OTA. Don't be surprised if you don't see this for several more weeks. It sounds like they are actively making some tweaks to the deployment process as they go based on customer feedback, and data from the cars.
Huh.

Almost like...

Nah, I can't say it again. Never mind.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
At this rate, it seems most Mach E owners won't be getting BlueCruise until 2022. A shame they couldn't stick to their schedule, although as with things of this nature, we must assume there's a good reason they're behind.
2022? At this rate, 2025 is completely possible.

i8iridium

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
U.S. Air Force
Country flag
So just a quick write up from me if your planning on doing the APIM update via FDRS.

1. Choose a good quality USB device. I went through loads of them and the best for me was a USB External 500Gb SSD. Thumb drives were slow and unreliable.

2. WiFi….ideally good and fast as FDRS downloads over 9Gb

3. Error free. If you get any errors when you plug your USB into the vehicle, it won’t work. I kept getting “USB Error” 10 minutes into the update. I waited, and waited but no dice. I actually had to clear FDRS data out, so it redownloaded the 9Gb and then it worked without error.

4. Don’t unplug USB until you are told. Seriously. After the update is complete, you may be tempted to pull it out. You’ll regret it. Just be patient after the restart and SYNC will tell you when to unplug.

Overall, I spent 5.5 hours on this damn update, but if everything goes smooth with decent WiFi you can be done in around 1hr 40mins.

Some thumb drives were estimating 2 hours just to copy data from FDRS, but my external SSD did it all in 10 minutes (USB3).

The actual time for updating the car from plugging in the USB (takes at least 2 minutes before saying “Don’t unplug USB” so be patient after plugging in) was 20 minutes of USB disk activity, and another 20-25 minutes where nothing at all is happening that you can see. These 20-25 minutes is SYNC reshuffling all the files around in the background ready for the upgrade. It really does look like the update hasn’t worked, but just wait…wait…wait.

I hope the above helps other people feeling adventurous.
I used FDRS and USB and got it successfully updated. I used a basic cheapo USB 3 Flash drive. Big tip that I've used for any Sync update is to plug in the USB and then from command prompt use diskpart and clean the USB drive. There's lots of tutorials out there on the interwebs to walk through that process, but it always works for me. Regardless, it's updated and seems to work well.

Last edited:

chrisGT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach-e GT
Country flag
If it takes so long to roll out an infotainment update, then when should we expect the more important updates like the speculated update that increases DC charging speed and the usable battery capacity by +3kWH ?

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
If it takes so long to roll out an infotainment update, then when should we expect the more important updates like the speculated update that increases DC charging speed and the usable battery capacity by +3kWH ?
?‍♀

OP
OP
benk016

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
They won't all take this long of a rollout. This is the first major OTA they are pushing. So things are going very slow, and they are testing things in each wave. OTA's will get faster in the future.

The APIM (infotainment) updates will likely be one of the biggest updates that will get pushed down. While it may seem simple to most, this is actually a big update.

I also suspect the reason they are using Early Access customers first, is that part of signing up to that program probably agreed to open up higher level logging to Ford.
Sponsored