Pravin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 MachE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Finally have the APIM installed. Based on the list of files posted by @louibluey , I was able to see that one of the files was truncated. Then looking at how @ProximusAl solved the same issue, I thought if I could locate the cached files and delete them, an attempt to do the procedure again might fetch the files properly.

The downloaded files are cached at this location:
C:\ProgramData\Ford Motor Company\FDRS\fdrs\data\vehicle_software\

There are multiple sub-directories, which have these files. I went ahead an deleted the files, left the sub-dirs intact. So if anyone encounters the "USB error", this might be quicker than uninstall/reinstall.

Then after starting FDRS again (which took a bit longer), I started the same procedure with one of my previously failed USB thumb drives. Everything worked smoothly. I did this on a laptop, so kept using it till the process completed. The last time around I had left it alone, perhaps it went to sleep or the wifi disconnected causing the truncated file.

And finally a big thanks to Ford Software Engineers for using the "USB Error" to designate multiple issues!! ;-)

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
Gotta say I’m really disappointed with Ford software. - this is just a rant… After 3 months of waiting for OTA fixes dialing for answers starts in earnest now..
  • OTA updates sprinkle out over months after release. My car is Still at 1.4. Updates should be universally available when released… as it is with phones, windows, and Teslas. I should be able to download any released fixes but nothing ever shows as available. With the dozens of bugs in the car they could do weekly fixes for years. 3 months now and nothing of substance has been fixed. I don’t want an Effing calculator in 1.7 (if it ever gets here) I’d like something of substance fixed. Here are some ideas…
  • PAAK “works” poorly. Have any of the execs or devs driven a Tesla? Neither my phone nor my wife’s phone could open the car after dinner on Saturday.
  • IOS phone app shows different battery state on two pages WTF?
  • Why is the phone app so full of useless things I can’t remove… ford insurance? ….I don’t think so….
  • Sync 4 is a disaster - loses settings weekly. I can go on and on. At this point what I really want to know is: how do the software developers stay employed? How do the execs that approve this garbage stay employed?
    wow I feel a lot better ?.

Last edited:

conviction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e select
Country flag
Current version is 1.4

I have had the car close to wifi to increase chance of getting the update but no luck :(

Still waiting for an update. Is there a way I can force update ?

OP
OP
benk016

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Current version is 1.4

I have had the car close to wifi to increase chance of getting the update but no luck :(

Still waiting for an update. Is there a way I can force update ?
No. Ford has to enable it for your car.

Jeffvisor

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Are the people getting the new update only the people who signed up for early access or is it coming to others as well?

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag

Eraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD | SR
Country flag
I got the 1.7.1 update on Saturday afternoon while I stopped off at a brewery for about an hour. Oddly enough my scheduled update window is Thursday night. The only reason I know I got an update was from a notification via FP. When I got back into my car it didn't show that I had an update with the icon at the top of the main display (that showed up just this morning). I was able to manually confirm by checking the updates and it showed I had 1.7.1 along with the other visible changes. Note: I am part of the early access program.

For those of you concerned about having a Wi-Fi connection to receive updates, I don't think it is an issue. Pretty much every update I have received has been when I've been away from home without Wi-Fi.

Last edited:

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
Are the people getting the new update only the people who signed up for early access or is it coming to others as well?
I'm in Early Access *and* I have a First Edition built in mid-December but my car wasn't updated ahead of any others.

I did just check the car ... it looks like 1.7.1 is being applied as I write this. When I check the software version on the car it shows me it is at 1.7.1 but I don't see any new features yet.

I did notice that the car was already awake when I approached it (it is usually asleep and wakes when I press the button to open the door.) The car was plugged in and the charge port lights were blue (usually they are white) ... although it did not look like it was currently pulling power.

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
Gotta say I’m really disappointed with Ford software. - this is just a rant… After 3 months of waiting for OTA fixes dialing for answers starts in earnest now..
  • OTA updates sprinkle out over months after release. My car is Still at 1.4. Updates should be universally available when released… as it is with phones, windows, and Teslas. I should be able to download any released fixes but nothing ever shows as available. With the dozens of bugs in the car they could do weekly fixes for years. 3 months now and nothing of substance has been fixed. I don’t want an Effing calculator in 1.7 (if it ever gets here) I’d like something of substance fixed. Here are some ideas…
  • PAAK “works” poorly. Have any of the execs or devs driven a Tesla? Neither my phone nor my wife’s phone could open the car after dinner on Saturday.
  • IOS phone app shows different battery state on two pages WTF?
  • Why is the phone app so full of useless things I can’t remove… ford insurance? ….I don’t think so….
  • Sync 4 is a disaster - loses settings weekly. I can go on and on. At this point what I really want to know is: how do the software developers stay employed? How do the execs that approve this garbage stay employed?
    wow I feel a lot better ?.
I see you just join the forum Friday, was it just to hate on the Mach E? We've had our since March, and we've thoroughly enjoyed the ride quirks and all!

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
My update failed yesterday mid-download so it had to get back in the queue and start the whole download over again

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
The drawing feature is fun! We played our most expensive game of tic-tac-toe ever; our first game of tic-tac-toe on a $51,000 "Piece of paper' ie! The 15.5 screen! Haven't played with other stuff yet.

Screenshot_20211019-130819.jpg

Screenshot_20211019-130842.jpg

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Just received 1.7.1 update - have to see if the features work. Cant seem to see where to set remote setup preferences in Ford account - ford pass is not updated yet may be that needs to happen.
Sponsored