Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
So, has the consensus changed in the past 2 months since last checking in on this forum? Buying a new car is the only way to get updates?
Not at all. Most everyone receive 1.4 and 1.6. More many have received 1.7.
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I think the consensus is that Ford put a pause in OTA updates, then slowly started them up, and that this coincided with the hire of Doug Field, which may or may not be connected.

MachTee

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium Infinite Blue SR AWD
Country flag
So I saw the down arrow in my car last night. When I got home I pressed the install button. My car is set to notify only and not auto install. Checked on it couple hours later and it showed as being up to date with 1.7.1 but gave no indication of the update being successful. IIRC when 1.4 and 1.6 were installed, the next time the car was started it gave an indication of a successful install.

My router showed 4.85GB of traffic from mdm9650-tcu. I can't tell if the installation was successful as I don't have the notes app, and what's more concerning is that my Ford Sync version went from "20312_PRODUCT" with "revision 243" to "version --" and revision "--" o_O I rebooted Sync and it made no difference. Also, prior to the update, under the same About SYNC screen, it showed my onboard modem serial number. After 1.7.1 it no longer shows onboard modem.

Any of you guys seen this before?

OP
OP
benk016

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
So I saw the down arrow in my car last night. When I got home I pressed the install button. My car is set to notify only and not auto install. Checked on it couple hours later and it showed as being up to date with 1.7.1 but gave no indication of the update being successful. IIRC when 1.4 and 1.6 were installed, the next time the car was started it gave an indication of a successful install.

My router showed 4.85GB of traffic from mdm9650-tcu. I can't tell if the installation was successful as I don't have the notes app, and what's more concerning is that my Ford Sync version went from "20312_PRODUCT" with "revision 243" to "version --" and revision "--" o_O I rebooted Sync and it made no difference. Also, prior to the update, under the same About SYNC screen, it showed my onboard modem serial number. After 1.7.1 it no longer shows onboard modem.

Any of you guys seen this before?
There's been several people in thread with the same issue.

If you're in early access, email them and let them know. If you're not, just keep waiting as some have had it complete after a few days.

MailGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt Premier, Mini Cooper SE, Mustang Mach E FE
Country flag
To those still waiting for 1.7.1 I would suggest you confirm cell signal and WIFI signal strength where you park your MachE. There's an excellent post by @breeves002 at OTA Updates - Technical Info | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum - MachEforum.com , that details the requirements of how OTA's work. There's a reference to signal strength as a requirement listed there.

Cell signal is non-existent at my home and my usage pattern rarely left the car for extended periods in good cell areas. After connecting Ellie to my home's WIFI network I could only get 1-2 bars of WIFI due to AP distance and the fact that the signal had to travel through two layers of hardy board (concrete/fiber siding). I put an AP in the garage and within 3-4 days 1.7.1 was delivered flawlessly to my December 2020 built FE. Car is not registered in EA or Beta. Maybe a coincidence on timing, I don't know.

67 Stang Convertible

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mustang, 2013 Kia Optima, 2018 Kia Sportage
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
To those still waiting for 1.7.1 I would suggest you confirm cell signal and WIFI signal strength where you park your MachE. There's an excellent post by @breeves002 at OTA Updates - Technical Info | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum - MachEforum.com , that details the requirements of how OTA's work. There's a reference to signal strength as a requirement listed there.

Cell signal is non-existent at my home and my usage pattern rarely left the car for extended periods in good cell areas. After connecting Ellie to my home's WIFI network I could only get 1-2 bars of WIFI due to AP distance and the fact that the signal had to travel through two layers of hardy board (concrete/fiber siding). I put an AP in the garage and within 3-4 days 1.7.1 was delivered flawlessly to my December 2020 built FE. Car is not registered in EA or Beta. Maybe a coincidence on timing, I don't know.
Glad you got it; I'm not a bit jealous :(.... However that sounds more like a coincidence as many people have had failed attempts, which I would imagine would happen with weak WIFI.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
I feel your pain. My car has been in the shop since Thursday because there wasn't a single tire in the state. I took a screw in the sidewall. They say I'll have it back this coming Friday (hopefully with updates). Every day I drive the Honda down the highway I get a little bit more frustrated.
Completely understand the frustration. But you're almost there. Sometimes the best things in life take a little bit of time. But always worth the wait.

Mathington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
My dealer has been trying to install the 1.7.1 update as part of the TSB to address some of the issues I was having and despite being in the shop twice, for two days each time, they have been unable to successfully perform all the updates to the car APIM.

They say that the update almost completes and then suddenly fails or throws some error messages. At their shop alone, this is happening to 4 other Mach-E and an F-150. Not sure if this is something the dealer is doing wrong or if there is something wrong with the car or software. Now I'm sad to say that the car is in a worse state than before they attempted the updates, the screen backlight will be either off or at 100% and no matter how I change the brightness in the settings, it doesn't do anything. There are also times when the main screen is completely off and won't turn on.

Has anyone else had this problem with their dealer? I'm just looking for any advice that may be able to help my dealer with this issue. They said that they are reaching out to Ford about this but so far I don't know if they have any solution or response at this time. My car previously had 1.6.0 installed OTA

My car will be going into the shop this week for the third time to try and fix this. Hopefully the third time is the charm.

Feeling pretty bummed out that I will be not be able to enjoy driving my car over the upcoming long weekend :(

MailGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt Premier, Mini Cooper SE, Mustang Mach E FE
Country flag
Glad you got it; I'm not a bit jealous :(.... However that sounds more like a coincidence as many people have had failed attempts, which I would imagine would happen with weak WIFI.
Sorry you’re not jealous ?. As others have posted, the update is certainly a welcomed improvement. I’ve got that new car feeling again ?.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Hi Matthew! Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and mileage so I can look into this issue with your OTA update?
My dealer has been trying to install the 1.7.1 update as part of the TSB to address some of the issues I was having and despite being in the shop twice, for two days each time, they have been unable to successfully perform all the updates to the car APIM.

They say that the update almost completes and then suddenly fails or throws some error messages. At their shop alone, this is happening to 4 other Mach-E and an F-150. Not sure if this is something the dealer is doing wrong or if there is something wrong with the car or software. Now I'm sad to say that the car is in a worse state than before they attempted the updates, the screen backlight will be either off or at 100% and no matter how I change the brightness in the settings, it doesn't do anything. There are also times when the main screen is completely off and won't turn on.

Has anyone else had this problem with their dealer? I'm just looking for any advice that may be able to help my dealer with this issue. They said that they are reaching out to Ford about this but so far I don't know if they have any solution or response at this time. My car previously had 1.6.0 installed OTA

My car will be going into the shop this week for the third time to try and fix this. Hopefully the third time is the charm.

Feeling pretty bummed out that I will be not be able to enjoy driving my car over the upcoming long weekend :(

Mathington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag

SOLIDAge

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD Premium
Country flag
Got the dreaded “your update was unsuccessful” message today after waiting so long for the update. I have perfect cell and Wi-Fi coverage in my garage so this is sad. When I go look at system updates it tells me that my system is up to date but it still doesn’t show 1.7.1
Ford Mustang Mach-E [OTA] 1.7.1 Appears to be incoming E98FC179-910B-4285-8C90-AA60659ACF2D