OTA 1.7.1 Stuck, anyone else have issue updating?

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
seven months now. No power-ups. Not a single one.
plus= none of the nonsense you guys have when power-ups are installed
minus= no "proper functioning"; FordPass Sync4 do not synchronize; no road trips - too risky w/o properly functioning vehicle
Been to dealer numerous times(as those lovely customer service reps. told me was the only way). The "tech." does not even know what power-ups are. He was going to look into it and get back to me(over a month now). Ha Ha Ha
Conclusion = I do not have the vehicle for which I paid a large sum of money.

footnote: never experienced anything like this with any of the many new vehicles I have purchased
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
As i wrote the other day, my car was behaving almost identically to the original post. I took it to the dealer this morning and received a call just before closing this afternoon. They have tried correcting the issue all day and have been unable to get it fixed. They have performed master resets and tried to update it but it continually failed. The service representative told me the technician was talking to an engineer at Ford. The car is still at the dealer and the technician is supposed to call me tomorrow. We’ve really loved the car but has to be able to get updates, either as an OTA or at the dealer, to function properly.
And it will. Unfortunately testing the infrastructure for OTA with a limited number of cars before trying to roll out out to everyone didn't find the bottlenecks and weak points.

They'll eventually get it. What they are actually trying to do is pretty ambitious, and sometimes things just don't work the way they were intended/expected to. Frankly I don't really need anything in the 1.7.1 update, and any serious things with TSB's can get fixed at the dealer.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
This is what I now have after multiple attempts after calling Ford. This is one of the reasons they told me to get it to the dealer.
FE16B4C1-898E-481F-8422-78F07FC7DBAA.jpeg
You may be in the middle of the update.

TAPe

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT, Mustang GT convertible, BRONCO
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
You may be in the middle of the update.
Unfortunately it’s not in the middle of an update. It has just completed its second day at the dealership. They could not get the car to download or to reset update comands. The performed a master reset but could not get the system to work properly. They also got some messages regarding the restraint system and antilock brakes while it was sitting in the shop. They told me that the car thinks its system is up to date and all is well even though it isn’t. The tech has been working with engineers at Ford. They are not sure how long it’s going to take to get it fixed.

Wally

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Red Premium Mach E4
Country flag
Been over a week. still not working. hesitant to bring it back to the dealer again. seems it gets worse instead of better. :(

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
I still haven't received any update, is that normal still or should have everyone received 1.7.1 so far OTA?

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Hey everyone, so since Friday my car has said its on 1.7.1, but I have none of the new features (no frunk button, no Drawing pad, nothing). My vehicle turned automatic updates off and I can't toggle it back on (when I do, as soon as I leave the update screen and come back its toggled off again), I also can no longer set desired update times, they just wont save.

Has anyone else had any issues with the OTA getting seemingly stuck? in total my mdm9650-TCU device has downloaded 5.04 GB of data over the last month and hasn't downloaded anything new since 9/29/21. This is smaller then the update should be so I am not really sure what is going on here.
I'm having the exact same set of issues.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/ota-1-7-1-appears-to-be-incoming.9845/post-265275

I sent an email to the early access email address and they've been communicative and are looking into it for me. Although I would like the OTA's to work better, there is nothing really stopping me from enjoying the car. There's nothing that important in 1.7.1 and I wouldn't really even know to look for this issue if I wasn't actively watching these forums. I'll have a different opinion about a delayed install for something more substantial like BlueCruise, but for minor software bug fixes I can wait for now rather than risking trying to take it to the dealership and be without it for who knows how many days. Sorry that you're going through this, but you're not alone.

The only good news is that since you're not alone there are plenty of example for Ford to use to identify the issue (which is the first major obstacle towards getting a fix).

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm having the exact same set of issues.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/ota-1-7-1-appears-to-be-incoming.9845/post-265275

I sent an email to the early access email address and they've been communicative and are looking into it for me. Although I would like the OTA's to work better, there is nothing really stopping me from enjoying the car. There's nothing that important in 1.7.1 and I wouldn't really even know to look for this issue if I wasn't actively watching these forums. I'll have a different opinion about a delayed install for something more substantial like BlueCruise, but for minor software bug fixes I can wait for now rather than risking trying to take it to the dealership and be without it for who knows how many days. Sorry that you're going through this, but you're not alone.

The only good news is that since you're not alone there are plenty of example for Ford to use to identify the issue (which is the first major obstacle towards getting a fix).
So you are in the early access program?

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
So you are in the early access program?
Yes. I signed for for Early Access for BlueCruise (which I don't have). I think only early access people are getting 1.7.1 at the moment... although I could be wrong.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes. I signed for for Early Access for BlueCruise (which I don't have). I think only early access people are getting 1.7.1 at the moment... although I could be wrong.
Haha ok, yeah, so much ambiguity. I have another weird issue I posted about as well, hopefully someone can chime in there in the FordPass forum.

Wally

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Red Premium Mach E4
Country flag
The only way to see, is to know what the OTA actually updated, and check the module software on it. This particular OTA updated the APIM. 1.7.1 isn't a version of any software on the car at all. Just a name of the OTA make it easier to keep track of what it updated.

This is why you have seen people get 1.6, and then get 1.4. They aren't sequential updates. They are just update deployments that are independent of each other. Its definitely a confusing way to do it, and not being able to see an actual version in the car to verify doesn't help.

If you have the below version of Sync, then you have the 1.7.1 update:
1635174305668.png
Mine shows "---" for both version and revision.

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E (sold), 2023 Ioniq 6 SEL
Country flag
When was your car built? If it was built after or near the times those updates were launched, your car likely already had them.
My car was built in April, and even after a trip to the dealer for a supposed PaaK update, I'm not sure it's ever been updated given the numbers relative to others- @Ford Motor Company have any ideas?

Ford Mustang Mach-E OTA 1.7.1 Stuck, anyone else have issue updating? Sync4

Last edited:

TAPe

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT, Mustang GT convertible, BRONCO
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Unfortunately it’s not in the middle of an update. It has just completed its second day at the dealership. They could not get the car to download or to reset update comands. The performed a master reset but could not get the system to work properly. They also got some messages regarding the restraint system and antilock brakes while it was sitting in the shop. They told me that the car thinks its system is up to date and all is well even though it isn’t. The tech has been working with engineers at Ford. They are not sure how long it’s going to take to get it fixed.
It is now the end of day three and the car is still sitting at the dealership. Not hearing anything, I called late this afternoon. The service representative told me that the tech has been going back and forth with Ford, usually with about a three hour turn around, all day. The car still is not working even though it “thinks” it is. According to the rep., the Ford engineer’s last response is the situation is being escalated to a higher level at Ford. The representative told me that this could take another one to three business day before there is a response. So the car sits at the dealer over the weekend into next week. No one offered me a vehicle to use. Fortunately I have another car. Others may not be so fortunate. Also we have a reservation on the Ford Lightening. Now I’m beginning to have some second thoughts.
Sponsored