OTA 1.7.1 Stuck, anyone else have issue updating?

Kneebeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD Select
Country flag
I'm at week 3 of a stuck update. Sometimes the auto update button is available, sometimes it isn't. Sometimes the Sync version shows up, sometimes it's just dashes.

I'm still getting that weird truncated 1.7.1 update message with that random Chinese character, and it cuts off at "Yo".

At this point I'm concerned about bringing my car into the dealer for the windshield recall, just in case they try and update the software and it gets stuck like some of the others in this thread.
Sponsored

Jonrd2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Scientist
Country flag
I'm at week 3 of a stuck update. Sometimes the auto update button is available, sometimes it isn't. Sometimes the Sync version shows up, sometimes it's just dashes.

I'm still getting that weird truncated 1.7.1 update message with that random Chinese character, and it cuts off at "Yo".

At this point I'm concerned about bringing my car into the dealer for the windshield recall, just in case they try and update the software and it gets stuck like some of the others in this thread.
I am in the same boat. I am also hesitant to take it to the dealer specifically for the software update, but not sure if waiting for additional updates is going to work out either.

TAPe

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT, Mustang GT convertible, BRONCO
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
As some of you who have been following this thread may know, per Fordā€˜s direction I took our car to the dealer after issues and some likely false alerts occurred during several unsuccessful 1.7.1 download attempts In September. The car has been at the dealership since OCTOBER 27! A case number and a case manager was assigned by Ford. I also have talked to Charity who manages the Early Access Program. She had her team investigate what has been happening to our car. A couple of weeks ago Ford finally decided to replace the carā€™s APIM. Yesterday I talked to the dealerā€™s service representative and the new APIM was finally installed Wednesday.

Friday the ā€œcustomer satisfactionā€ updates that were just sent to all Ford dealers was downloaded. The service representative told me the download stopped after it was 85% complete and an error message occurred. He said the failed download was bad, but even worse, everything on the car shut down. They couldnā€™t even get it to start or to respond to any type of communication. They tried contacting the engineers they are working with at Ford, but the group was not working on Friday. Before closing, the dealership called and told me that the technician working on the car had just started and moved the car. He has no idea why he could finally get it to start.

I sent an email to Charity and I will be talking to our case manager Monday. In the meantime, weā€™re trying to to enjoy our holiday. At least weā€™re able to spend time with our kids and grandkids this year! For that, my wife and I are really thankful!!
I wanted to let everyone know that we got our car back yesterday. It had spent 32 days at the dealership trying to fix its inability to download OTA updates. Working with software engineers at Ford, the dealerā€™s technician finally got the newly installed APIM to work. After reading through the service technicianā€™s notes, I am really impressed how the local technician and Fordā€™s software engineers methodically worked together to find the cause of the problems and the necessary steps to take to fix them. It is apparent that it has been a learning process for everyone involved.

Needless to say, the past few weeks have been extremely frustrating for us, but we are really happy to have our car back. I keep checking our garage to make sure that it is true. We are really nervous whether the car is finally repaired. However, weā€™re hopeful that in our carā€™s particular case, replacing the APIM was the solution. By the way, our case manager at Ford and the team at the Early Access Program were really helpful throughout the entire ordeal. Hopefully this is my last post in this thread!

Jeffvisor

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

I am at the exact same place of 3 weeks and now auto update is greyed out. i wonder if we should do a master reset or wait it out?

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I wanted to let everyone know that we got our car back yesterday. It had spent 32 days at the dealership trying to fix its inability to download OTA updates. Working with software engineers at Ford, the dealerā€™s technician finally got the newly installed APIM to work. After reading through the service technicianā€™s notes, I am really impressed how the local technician and Fordā€™s software engineers methodically worked together to find the cause of the problems and the necessary steps to take to fix them. It is apparent that it has been a learning process for everyone involved.

Needless to say, the past few weeks have been extremely frustrating for us, but we are really happy to have our car back. I keep checking our garage to make sure that it is true. We are really nervous whether the car is finally repaired. However, weā€™re hopeful that in our carā€™s particular case, replacing the APIM was the solution. By the way, our case manager at Ford and the team at the Early Access Program were really helpful throughout the entire ordeal. Hopefully this is my last post in this thread!
Care to share those notes with us? Curious what all they tried.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Ok! I finally got a call back from the engineering team at Ford -- specifically, the "Vehicle Technology Research Escalation Team".
To recap -- my issue is the same as a lot of you, with the car stuck with halfway downloaded 1.7.1 patch notes (ending in "yo" ?), and a Sync version showing just "--". I've got no new features, and at least 3 failed update attempts.

The Ford Engineer called me and told me the following:
  • After two failed attempts on any update, she recommended just going to the Dealer to have it installed manually. It seems that dealerships can install any update manually, as some of you have already discovered, but I wasn't aware that it was fully elective like this.
  • Even if we're stuck on the 1.7.1 update, we will still continue to get future updates and technically we don't need to do anything except wait, but it's better to go and get it installed manually at the dealer so they can rule out a problem with the APIM.
  • She assured me that they won't notify all users of the app of this issue, because apparently the % of people experiencing this issue is vanishingly small (I might be the fourth person total). I'm not convinced of this, based on the number of others on here who have the same problem.
I also got some information on upcoming updates:
  • 2.0.1 -- this update will "fix the updater" and hopefully resolve future update problems going forward
  • 2.0.x(?) -- January -- there will be our first "inhibit" update that will be of the type that requires the car to be parked, and will make it undrivable while it updates. We'll get a notification and the ability to schedule it, such as for overnight. Should take about an hour ideally. Looks like this will update some drive modules potentially.

I'm a little nervous to take the car to the dealer based on the experiences some of you have had here already, but I think I'll have them do it at the same time as the pano glass roof re-seal and just see how it goes. As long as they give me a rental.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Ok! I finally got a call back from the engineering team at Ford -- specifically, the "Vehicle Technology Research Escalation Team".
To recap -- my issue is the same as a lot of you, with the car stuck with halfway downloaded 1.7.1 patch notes (ending in "yo" ?), and a Sync version showing just "--". I've got no new features, and at least 3 failed update attempts.

The Ford Engineer called me and told me the following:
  • After two failed attempts on any update, she recommended just going to the Dealer to have it installed manually. It seems that dealerships can install any update manually, as some of you have already discovered, but I wasn't aware that it was fully elective like this.
  • Even if we're stuck on the 1.7.1 update, we will still continue to get future updates and technically we don't need to do anything except wait, but it's better to go and get it installed manually at the dealer so they can rule out a problem with the APIM.
  • She assured me that they won't notify all users of the app of this issue, because apparently the % of people experiencing this issue is vanishingly small (I might be the fourth person total). I'm not convinced of this, based on the number of others on here who have the same problem.
I also got some information on upcoming updates:
  • 2.0.1 -- this update will "fix the updater" and hopefully resolve future update problems going forward
  • 2.0.x(?) -- January -- there will be our first "inhibit" update that will be of the type that requires the car to be parked, and will make it undrivable while it updates. We'll get a notification and the ability to schedule it, such as for overnight. Should take about an hour ideally. Looks like this will update some drive modules potentially.

I'm a little nervous to take the car to the dealer based on the experiences some of you have had here already, but I think I'll have them do it at the same time as the pano glass roof re-seal and just see how it goes. As long as they give me a rental.
Just curious what the build dates are for people experiencing this issue? Has anyone successfully got this installed OTA?

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I wanted to let everyone know that we got our car back yesterday. It had spent 32 days at the dealership trying to fix its inability to download OTA updates.
There is no f-ing way I am giving up my MME for 32 days. Probably it is irrelevant because my car is not in the group going through updates, but if it were, I would wait it out. I look for excuses to drive it and I would be going nuts the entire time it sat at the dealer. Man, I feel for you!

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Just curious what the build dates are for people experiencing this issue? Has anyone successfully got this installed OTA?
My build date was early February, 2021. It does seem to only affect some cars; I am not sure of the pattern.

MachTee

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium Infinite Blue SR AWD
Country flag
My build date was early February, 2021. It does seem to only affect some cars; I am not sure of the pattern.
My car was built 3/2021. I have received 3 OTA updates, a "bug fix" soon after buying the car, followed by Powerup 1.4 and 1.6. All went with no issues. I then brought the car to the dealer to perform the PaaK update, along with DSP and the loud fan while charging update.

What is strange to me is that when I pressed update on the second 1.7.1 install attempt, it downloaded "stuff" over a 2 day period, first was ~2GB, and then ~2.5GB the next day. The first time it failed, it downloaded almost 5GB in one go. From the other 1.7.1 thread, IIRC it should be nearly 8GB.

It seems everyone with the failed 1.7.1 has the Chinese character in place of the TM, and gets cutoff at "yo". I'm curious to know if the update notes get straightened out if/when 1.7.1 does get installed successfully. And how about those who got it installed successfully the first time, were the update notes also messed up?

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
My car was built 3/2021. I have received 3 OTA updates, a "bug fix" soon after buying the car, followed by Powerup 1.4 and 1.6. All went with no issues. I then brought the car to the dealer to perform the PaaK update, along with DSP and the loud fan while charging update.

What is strange to me is that when I pressed update on the second 1.7.1 install attempt, it downloaded "stuff" over a 2 day period, first was ~2GB, and then ~2.5GB the next day. The first time it failed, it downloaded almost 5GB in one go. From the other 1.7.1 thread, IIRC it should be nearly 8GB.

It seems everyone with the failed 1.7.1 has the Chinese character in place of the TM, and gets cutoff at "yo". I'm curious to know if the update notes get straightened out if/when 1.7.1 does get installed successfully. And how about those who got it installed successfully the first time, were the update notes also messed up?
Call Ford's engineering support team at 1-800-392-3673 and open a case. The more voices on this, the better. When I spoke with them, they basically told me it was a rare issue and they haven't had many complaints about it -- I beg to differ.

EDIT: Your build date is similar to mine, and we are in the exact same boat in terms of updates, and the 1.7.1 issue.

MachTee

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium Infinite Blue SR AWD
Country flag
Call Ford's engineering support team at 1-800-392-3673 and open a case. The more voices on this, the better. When I spoke with them, they basically told me it was a rare issue and they haven't had many complaints about it -- I beg to differ.

EDIT: Your build date is similar to mine, and we are in the exact same boat in terms of updates, and the 1.7.1 issue.
I was going to, but then the Ford rep here contacted me over PM. I'll see how that goes before I call, to avoid any possible confusion.

Edit: I'll add that the only time I received an alert from Ford Pass was more than 2 weeks after 1.7.1 failed the first time, was when Ford Pass showed that an update was pending. It has never alerted me of a successful (which it obviously isn't) or unsuccessful install attempt.

Last edited:

Jeffvisor

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Does anyone know if stuck in the 1.7.1 update if a master reset works to fix it?

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
Ours was built in May of 2021. I am feeling lucky that this update completed after only one failed attempt. The worst part for us was having to deal with a dim screen for a couple days!
Sponsored