OTA 1.7.1 Stuck, anyone else have issue updating?

christooma

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
the big fix I mentioned doesn’t seem to be 1.7.1. It doesn’t actually have a version number - just a generic bug fix. Now that my OTA status isn’t “expired”, maybe the car will attempt 1.7.1 soon?
Just following up in case it helps anyone. After the expiration time stamp on this anonymous bug fix passed, I got Powerup 1.4.0 with Securalert (which I have never gotten). My best guess is that the bug fix helped reset my OTA process and now my car will be stepping through each update over the next few weeks? We’ll see if that theory ends up being true…

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Speaking of resetting Sync, I reset Sync4A earlier and the option to enable automatic updates or schedule them (and save changes) actually works for me now. Not sure if it will stick or do anything for me, but I disabled automatic updates and set a scheduled update for this evening during charging time. Will let folks know if it works out.

FWIW I did DM the Ford reps here with my VIN and whatnot. They requested more info, created a case for me, then an agent called me to talk over the issue. While super helpful, the agent understandably wasn't super familiar with the Mach-E update process and this issue in particular, and they weren't able to do much thus far other than refer me to a dealer. I'm loathe to go that route since the consensus here seems to be that dealers can't help on this front.
The service people at dealers are just people like you and I. Treat them that way and you should have no problem.

My service has been a whole lot more learnt than tier 1 support could ever be. Talk to your dealer mine understandably is still learning a bit but has been great to date. It has been OK since we can both learn a bit together. Those are the guys you have a contract/warranty with not the tier 1 support hotline provided as no help on this forum.

I understand 2.3 is also a sync update; wonder what happens when 2.3 downloads and installs over the partial 1.7.1 or if it does? 2.1 did but not sync. Will some have the sync features of 2.3 but not those of 1.7.1? You have puzzles but no notes. Verification of the OTA process has a bump based on 39 pages. Looks like a quick fix as the thread just started on Oct. 4. ;)

SashaLondon

First Name
Sasha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME AWD SR
Country flag
Sorry to be clear, some people have had sort of ninja update that cleared the error for the OTA and waiting for fresh updates? Or is it random?

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Sorry to be clear, some people have had sort of ninja update that cleared the error for the OTA and waiting for fresh updates? Or is it random?
Not going to read all pages but the problem still exists from what I understand? Mine failed at a different point than others so I would go with random? Normally if all is working well than a reinstall over top should help? Guess not and cyber ninja's may be required. I was told there are still a lot of files sitting in there from the fail?

The update really does nothing but verify that you can be updated. The time frame to verify that our cars are good is getting a bit concerning. Not good that they push further updates to their good vehicles as they leave others sit. Car should work with the fail so I guess late is better than never. Mine has no fail any more it has now skipped that fail and has gone on to a successful 2.1 and hid it. A failed 1.7.1 and a good 2.1 will make most think they are good. I would like to see mine proceed to a successful 1.7.1 before getting 2.3.

Jeffvisor

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I've also been stuck on 1.7.1 for a few months. Updating all the other modules didn't change anything. My automatic updates toggle is greyed out. I called Ford a few weeks ago and I feel like they didn't care about my issue. I'm hoping the CS rep was just having an off day.
you are in the same position as me mine is going back to service on Monday likely the APIM module needs to be replaced. I think that is my issue. 21p22 does not fix the stuck issue alone I had it done and still stuck

oliverames

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Select Dual Motor Standard Range
Country flag
Had some good luck so I thought I'd share my story here for others in the same boat. Here are some prerequisites. I own a Job 1 Mach-E Select AWD and took delivery in May 2020. The first OTA I received was 1.6.0. The second was 1.4.0. Got those some time in the summer, pretty much back-to-back. Car is usually plugged in at home, connected to my WiFi. It has its own access point right nearby, so it has a very good connection to my network. 2-3 bars of AT&T service as well. I did have the customer satisfaction updates run at the dealership in December (December 27) and can charge faster at over 80%.

The car's first attempt to download and update what I'm assuming was 1.7.1 was on November 26, 2021. I also had the 1.7.1 release notes with the Chinese character and "you are all set." The error was what MANY of you have seen, which is "expired" when looking at the OTA information from the Scriptable widget. That was combined with an inability to toggle automatic updates, set a schedule, and no version information. Believe this inability to toggle these features is not because they are broken, but because the car thinks it is mid update and won't let you change any settings. Here's why I think this is the case.

I've been talking to my dealer and a friend who has access to PTS (professional technician system) so what I've learned is that as soon as an OTA fails, the car immediately recycles that OTA. That doesn't mean it will try to install and download right away, but it knows it has failed and the troubleshooting solution is wiping everything and starting from scratch (ping the server, see if update available, download update, attempt to install). So during this process, it will not let you toggle updates, show version numbers, or let you schedule stuff. It is working on something!

Car re-tried on December 21 and expired again. Tried on January 4 and instead of expiring, it straight up failed. I saw "failure" in the Scriptable widget. What I noticed in PTS though was that the reason it failed was because "Update Manifest Available." As far as I can tell, it failed not because it struggled to install but because Ford pushed a new update manifest. Here's a screenshot showing everything I've talked about so far. Spoiler for the end of the story!

Ford Mustang Mach-E OTA 1.7.1 Stuck, anyone else have issue updating? vnt4sKQn.jpg-medium

Last night I checked the widget OTA status for fun and saw this. Delivery queued! I'd never seen that before, but assumed it meant that the car had an update available and the update was queued for download. FYI OTAM_S1001 does not correspond to the update it is downloading, but the STATUS of the update.

Ford Mustang Mach-E OTA 1.7.1 Stuck, anyone else have issue updating? QwdXHBas.jpg-medium

Now I don't drive very much at the moment since I'm working from home and the wife is also home with our new baby. So the car sits in the driveway plugged in for literal days. Sometimes an entire week. From everything I understand, the car only downloads updates while it is running so I went out and turned it on (leaving it plugged in). I left it for maybe two hours. It was -10 here in Vermont so I didn't mind letting it warm up a bit anyway. Not like idling a gas vehicle! After two hours I checked again.

Ford Mustang Mach-E OTA 1.7.1 Stuck, anyone else have issue updating? 35EVmbVW.jpg-medium

Installation queued! Must have downloaded I thought. I assumed from what I've read that the car primarily installs updates when it is powered off. So I went out to turn it off, left it plugged in, and continued with my night. One hour later I checked again.

Ford Mustang Mach-E OTA 1.7.1 Stuck, anyone else have issue updating? 4KSbksYN.jpg-medium

SUCCESS?! I couldn't believe it. I didn't dare go out to the car. So I had my friend pull the PTS report you see above. It also said success. What the heck?!

Ford Mustang Mach-E OTA 1.7.1 Stuck, anyone else have issue updating? cgoX5RAo.jpg-lar
Ford Mustang Mach-E OTA 1.7.1 Stuck, anyone else have issue updating? h-A2ViPX.jpg-lar

It worked! So I was literally in the place many of you have been. Expired. Failed. Toggling updates issues. Failures in PTS. Updates available in FDRS. My dealer didn't try doing an APIM update. I think they missed it when I went in, even though I specifically requested it. Job 1 car. Prior to June. Weird 1.4.0 to 1.6.0 update cadence. Chinese character in 1.7.1 release notes, then they disappeared. No consumer facing failures, not in FordPass, not on the car. All the "failures" were in PTS or the Scriptable widget.

So what happened? I have theories. My first theory is that Ford pushed a new version of 1.7.1 that got passed the installation issues. Hence the "Update Manifest Available" error on one of the installations. If this is true, then I would imagine people will start seeing 1.7.1 succeed.

My second theory is that many of us in this thread are experiencing different problems that manifest as the same problem. My update expired two times, maybe because I don't drive very often? So it would always take too long to download because it was trying over cellular with 2-3 bars and not WiFi? Also the places I drive (rural area) are often without service, so even if I was driving it wouldn't be able to pull down the update? Then I just happened to hit the right cadence of turning the car on and off? It would make sense to me that the car prioritizes downloads while running, rather than while off...although that's a bit of a ridiculous implementation if you ask me, especially if plugged in. As a result, I think this theory is less likely. If this is the case however, maybe I didn't have a problem with the APIM module. Maybe the dealer would have had no trouble updating it! I did have an appointment for this Monday to try.

Here is to hoping 2.1.0 and 2.3.0 completes a little bit more smoothly...sound off with questions if you have them!

Jeffvisor

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hey @Ford Motor Company, we all appreciate that you're here, but I think the consensus is that we need something more than sending you folks a PM with our VIN numbers in it. This isn't a problem isolated to a handful of Mach-e owners. Can you provide a global update for us? (Even if it's to refute my statement that we're all suffering the same problem, that would be useful.)
agree i sent Ford my vin# and their tech was no help he said take to the dealer. I said okay what do I tell me to do? he said they will know. So I took it there to have the update fixed and the recall done bottom line it was there for 3.5 weeks and update still stuck. The dealers don't know what to do Ford needs to tell them how to fix it likely the APIM needs to be replaced. Dealers are not used to dealing with this issue.

gnaark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First Edition Rapid Red
Country flag
Had some good luck so I thought I'd share my story here for others in the same boat. Here are some prerequisites. I own a Job 1 Mach-E Select AWD and took delivery in May 2020. The first OTA I received was 1.6.0. The second was 1.4.0. Got those some time in the summer, pretty much back-to-back. Car is usually plugged in at home, connected to my WiFi. It has its own access point right nearby, so it has a very good connection to my network. 2-3 bars of AT&T service as well. I did have the customer satisfaction updates run at the dealership in December (December 27) and can charge faster at over 80%.

The car's first attempt to download and update what I'm assuming was 1.7.1 was on November 26, 2021. I also had the 1.7.1 release notes with the Chinese character and "you are all set." The error was what MANY of you have seen, which is "expired" when looking at the OTA information from the Scriptable widget. That was combined with an inability to toggle automatic updates, set a schedule, and no version information. Believe this inability to toggle these features is not because they are broken, but because the car thinks it is mid update and won't let you change any settings. Here's why I think this is the case.

I've been talking to my dealer and a friend who has access to PTS (professional technician system) so what I've learned is that as soon as an OTA fails, the car immediately recycles that OTA. That doesn't mean it will try to install and download right away, but it knows it has failed and the troubleshooting solution is wiping everything and starting from scratch (ping the server, see if update available, download update, attempt to install). So during this process, it will not let you toggle updates, show version numbers, or let you schedule stuff. It is working on something!

Car re-tried on December 21 and expired again. Tried on January 4 and instead of expiring, it straight up failed. I saw "failure" in the Scriptable widget. What I noticed in PTS though was that the reason it failed was because "Update Manifest Available." As far as I can tell, it failed not because it struggled to install but because Ford pushed a new update manifest. Here's a screenshot showing everything I've talked about so far. Spoiler for the end of the story!

Ford Mustang Mach-E OTA 1.7.1 Stuck, anyone else have issue updating? h-A2ViPX.jpg-lar

Last night I checked the widget OTA status for fun and saw this. Delivery queued! I'd never seen that before, but assumed it meant that the car had an update available and the update was queued for download. FYI OTAM_S1001 does not correspond to the update it is downloading, but the STATUS of the update.

Now I don't drive very much at the moment since I'm working from home and the wife is also home with our new baby. So the car sits in the driveway plugged in for literal days. Sometimes an entire week. From everything I understand, the car only downloads updates while it is running so I went out and turned it on (leaving it plugged in). I left it for maybe two hours. It was -10 here in Vermont so I didn't mind letting it warm up a bit anyway. Not like idling a gas vehicle! After two hours I checked again.

Installation queued! Must have downloaded I thought. I assumed from what I've read that the car primarily installs updates when it is powered off. So I went out to turn it off, left it plugged in, and continued with my night. One hour later I checked again.

SUCCESS?! I couldn't believe it. I didn't dare go out to the car. So I had my friend pull the PTS report you see above. It also said success. What the heck?!

It worked! So I was literally in the place many of you have been. Expired. Failed. Toggling updates issues. Failures in PTS. Updates available in FDRS. My dealer didn't try doing an APIM update. I think they missed it when I went in, even though I specifically requested it. Job 1 car. Prior to June. Weird 1.4.0 to 1.6.0 update cadence. Chinese character in 1.7.1 release notes, then they disappeared. No consumer facing failures, not in FordPass, not on the car. All the "failures" were in PTS or the Scriptable widget.

So what happened? I have theories. My first theory is that Ford pushed a new version of 1.7.1 that got passed the installation issues. Hence the "Update Manifest Available" error on one of the installations. If this is true, then I would imagine people will start seeing 1.7.1 succeed.

My second theory is that many of us in this thread are experiencing different problems that manifest as the same problem. My update expired two times, maybe because I don't drive very often? So it would always take too long to download because it was trying over cellular with 2-3 bars and not WiFi? Also the places I drive (rural area) are often without service, so even if I was driving it wouldn't be able to pull down the update? Then I just happened to hit the right cadence of turning the car on and off? It would make sense to me that the car prioritizes downloads while running, rather than while off...although that's a bit of a ridiculous implementation if you ask me, especially if plugged in. As a result, I think this theory is less likely. If this is the case however, maybe I didn't have a problem with the APIM module. Maybe the dealer would have had no trouble updating it! I did have an appointment for this Monday to try.

Here is to hoping 2.1.0 and 2.3.0 completes a little bit more smoothly...sound off with questions if you have them!
so, what you are saying is that we have to be randomly lucky and check the status to hope for a delivery_queued

nothing seems to be in our control :(

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadowfax, the Star White Tricoated Metallic Pony
Country flag
so, what you are saying is that we have to be randomly lucky and check the status to hope for a delivery_queued

We might also need to go to a dealer that actually installs ALL of the 21P22 modules, which mine didn't.

gnaark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First Edition Rapid Red
Country flag
We might also need to go to a dealer that actually installs ALL of the 21P22 modules, which mine didn't.
I wanna trust mine on this. It took them 5 hours to do the update and they were telling me that some modules failed 3 times and they kept trying until everything got installed.

oliverames

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Not necessarily. I suspect that plenty of cars get to delivery_queued and installation_queued and fail during installation for APIM issues or other software problems like we've all been having. Those prompts are just the typical update prompts for failed and successful updates. I just saw it at the right time to be able to document the entire process.

oliverames

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My dealer didn't install to all the modules either, but that was only because those modules were already running the most recent version available from previous dealer visits. I had someone check FDRS for me and everything was updated except the APIM, which has now been updated OTA for me, and ABS, which is a know FDRS bug.

dougni

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 California Route 1 RWD Ext (Job 1)
Country flag
I

Interesting sequence of events. Also, did you notice your attempts were on Tuesdays. Except for the first one. Mine are on Thursdays. So I’m hopeful for tomorrow, it’s been expired since the 30th, the day after the dealer updated all the modules.

Jim_I

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium X-R Batt RWD Carbonized Gray
Country flag
Here is the email I sent to the Ford Early Access Team on Jan 5th. I am not signed up as a part of this.

Dear Sir/Madam:

I am writing to you as my Ford Mustang Mach-E OTA updates are not working.

The Power Up 1.7.1 attempted to load but appears to have failed during the update process.

I took my car to my dealership in December with a list of the updates I wanted done:

FSA 21B36 - PAAK Update - Installed by Dealer
FSA 21P22 - Software Calibration Update - Installed By Dealer With Issue Concerning ABS Module
FSA 21C22 - Windshield Glass Re-Seal - Installed By Dealer
FSA 21S42 - Panoramic Roof Glass Re-Seal - Installed By Dealer

I also asked for the SYNC 4A update as my main screen has locked up over a dozen times. This was not done.

I also asked for the Power-Up 1.7.1 update, as the OTA attempt had failed and seems to have locked up. This was not done.

They had my Mach-E for 13 days.

I have had no OTA updates since mid-November and now I understand that Power-Up 2.1.0 and 2.3.0 has been received OTA by other Mache-E owners.

I am asking for your help to resolve these problems, or help with instructions on how I can get the SYNC-4A and Power-Up updates to load. If I have to take it back to the dealer, please get me accurate instructions on how to perform these updates that I can pass along to the dealership as they seem to not know or not care about getting it right.

My vin is: 3FMXXXXXXXXXXXXXX and my build date was 02-2021

As this is the flagship EV from Ford, I would hope that Ford will work through these early release glitches and get things running smoothly!

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just received a response from them:

Hi Jim,

We are currently working on both a communication to customers with this issue and a plan of action. You will be receiving more information on next steps soon. We are discovering that you may have an issue that requires more care and are looking into it as we speak and have already assigned a ticket for you.

Thanks!

Ford Early Access Team

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So nothing really new. Soon is the operative word, I guess.....

I think is a lot worse than they are saying. If there was a software patch that could fix this, it should have been done by now.

My guess is that they are fighting with the company that manufactured the APIM over who is going to pay for all of this and when they can supply all the new APIM's.....

Jim

EDIT: I just read the last three pages of posts. The post from Ford was concerning the F150, but does not mention the MachE. So who knows what is really going on here. I am going to make an appointment with the dealership to install the 21-2310 sync4A update and to readjust the windshield wipers that were not right after they did the windshield update. Then I guess it is just wait and see for now....
Sponsored

Last edited: