OTA 1.7.1 Stuck, anyone else have issue updating?

Eric_C_Boston

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E RWD ER
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
I got Power-Up 2.1, which upgraded the Gateway Module (GWM). Then I successfully got Power-Up 2.3 which upgraded the APIM (Sync 4) and TCU. I assume a Dealer doing TSB 21-2310 would end up flashing the same GWM firmware as Power-Up 2.1. Power-Up 2.1 upgraded the GWM from DSMU5T-14G650-DE to DSMU5T-14G650-ED (Strategy from LJ8T-14H021-AKE to LJ8T-14H021-EKE).

As mentioned previously, the GWM is key for updates. The OBD connector on the MME does not directly connect to a CANBUS like in previous generations of Ford vehicles. Both HSCAN-1 and MSCAN on the OBD connector go directly to the GWM. So problems with the GWM will cause problems with updating other modules even using OBD. It explains why there is a direct USB upgrade method for the APIM that bypasses the GWM.

What version of Sync 4 after a recent TSB 21-2310 update did people end up with? I have 21281_PRODUCT Revision: 244 after the Power-Up 2.3 update. Previously I had 21174_PRODUCT Revision: 168.

Jonrd2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Scientist
Country flag
I've dug around looking for an answer but had no luck. To avoid be chastised I figured I'd post here vs making a new post :)

I just had the dealer run the TSB 21-2310 to get my car out of 1.6/1.7.1 limbo. The car is now running 1.7.1. Today when looking at my dash I noticed these three tinny black arrows.. I have old man vision, so I guess its possible these were here prior to 1.7.1 but I would think I would had noticed.

Anyone know what these arrows mean??
IMG_1886.jpeg
Did you get the car back from the dealer with 1.7.1, or did your car download it afterwards?

gnaark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First Edition Rapid Red
Country flag
My car is currently at the shop to do the glass recall and the Sync 4 TSB too.
I'll report back after.
they gave me a Ford Edge as loaner, it is awful ?

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Did you get the car back from the dealer with 1.7.1, or did your car download it afterwards?
I picked up the car with 1.7.1 installed. I think they just updated the synch version to match what 1.7.1 wanted and then it pulled down. I don't know how much of a "fix" this was vs a workaround. I'm hoping that feature updates will be more successful, but I'm not holding my breath if I'm understanding the TSB.

This is what they did:
VERIFIED CONCERN, APIM NOT UPDATED PROPERLY. CHECKED
OASIS, TSB 21-2310 APPLIES TO VEHICLE. CHECKED FOR GWM
UPDATE-NONE AVAILABLE, CHECKED FOR APIM UPDATE-UPDATE
AVAILABLE. UPDATED API PER TSB AND FDRS INSTRUCTIONS AND
VERIFIED REPAIR, APIM NOW UPDATED TO LATEST SOFTWARE LEVEL.
CC: 04 CAUSE: 14G670 8T.

Jonrd2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Scientist
Country flag
I picked up the car with 1.7.1 installed. I think they just updated the synch version to match what 1.7.1 wanted and then it pulled down. I don't know how much of a "fix" this was vs a workaround. I'm hoping that feature updates will be more successful, but I'm not holding my breath if I'm understanding the TSB.

This is what they did:
VERIFIED CONCERN, APIM NOT UPDATED PROPERLY. CHECKED
OASIS, TSB 21-2310 APPLIES TO VEHICLE. CHECKED FOR GWM
UPDATE-NONE AVAILABLE, CHECKED FOR APIM UPDATE-UPDATE
AVAILABLE. UPDATED API PER TSB AND FDRS INSTRUCTIONS AND
VERIFIED REPAIR, APIM NOW UPDATED TO LATEST SOFTWARE LEVEL.
CC: 04 CAUSE: 14G670 8T.
And was your 1.7.1 previously stuck like the rest of us? Your story does offer some hope.

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
And was your 1.7.1 previously stuck like the rest of us? Your story does offer some hope.
Yes, car tried to install 1.7.1 months ago and failed. It reverted back without any issue, then it attempted to install again about 3 weeks later. It never recovered from that reinstall attempt. I had the same issue with Auto Update being off and not being able to turn it back on. Car was in that state for a good month, maybe a little longer.

In my case, that TSB corrected the issue, at least with 1.7.1

Eric_C_Boston

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E RWD ER
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
Yes, car tried to install 1.7.1 months ago and failed. It reverted back without any issue, then it attempted to install again about 3 weeks later. It never recovered from that reinstall attempt. I had the same issue with Auto Update being off and not being able to turn it back on. Car was in that state for a good month, maybe a little longer.

What Sync4 version does your car have now?

Thanks, Eric

Jim_I

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium X-R Batt RWD Carbonized Gray
Country flag
So, if the TSB 21-2310, that will be great news. So, while I am at the dealership what other TSB should I be asking for
It depends upon your specific vehicle, and the techs should be able to pull them up for your Mach-E,

But here are the main updates:

21P22 - Software Calibration Update - Updates many of the car's modules
21B36 - PAAK Software Update
21S42 - Roof Glass Reseal
21C22 - Windshield Glass Reseal
21-2310 - SYNC-4A Software Update - if customer has a specific complaint that is on the list

Jim

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

TSB 21-2310 is the one in October? Do you think they were related and it had something to do with the 1.7.1 installed or just a separate process installed at the same time?

It depends upon your specific vehicle, and the techs should be able to pull them up for your Mach-E,

But here are the main updates:

21P22 - Software Calibration Update - Updates many of the car's modules
21B36 - PAAK Software Update
21S42 - Roof Glass Reseal
21C22 - Windshield Glass Reseal
21-2310 - SYNC-4A Software Update - if customer has a specific complaint that is on the list

Jim
You forgot the first on March 25, 2021

TSB 21-2091 - 12-Volt Battery Becomes Discharged While The Vehicle Is Plugged In.

Waiting for something similar again.
Sponsored