OTA 1.7.1 Stuck, anyone else have issue updating?

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach-E GT-PE, '22 F-150 Lightning
Country flag
If that's the case, that you're one of the Sync 1.7.1 'stuckees', then you may need to plan a trip to the dealer.

Or hasn't it actually applied it yet? Does your 'About Sync' screen say it's on 1.7.1 now or an earlier version?

Mike
Sponsored

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
If that's the case, that you're one of the Sync 1.7.1 'stuckees', then you may need to plan a trip to the dealer.

Or hasn't it actually applied it yet? Does your 'About Sync' screen say it's on 1.7.1 now or an earlier version?

Mike
I was one of the "stuckees", but as I mentioned, it finally got around to a dealer fixing it last week. So all's good now.

stmache

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-e GTP, 2017 Ford Mustang EB
Occupation
IT Manager, Photographer
Country flag
Knew this was coming from reading here but my dealer just confirmed the APIM they ordered will not be sent as there is a "programming issue with this part. Ford Engineering is working on a resolution. We [They] do not have an ETA at this time.--"

Have asked my dealer when can I pick up the car since, again, it is not a hardware issue but a software one. Rather drive it as it is instead of putting gas in the loaner.

tdwatts

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang mach-e; Porsche Cayenne
Country flag
Looks like things are finally starting to speed up, at least for me.

I took mine in for the stuck 1.7.1 update and received it back on 4/4. I didn't mention the BC update because I was sick of the delays and just wanted the car back. No OTA's for about 2 weeks until one downloaded and was applied. Then almost a month later I received an update on Monday (5/16) and then received another this morning (5/18). I'm currently at 2.7.1.

Strange thing was that neither of the updates this week happened while it was parked overnight with automatic updates on, instead both downloaded and applied while I was out running errands.
Your timeline is almost exactly the same as mine. Hopefully the updates continue.

Last edited:

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Looks like things are finally starting to speed up, at least for me.

I took mine in for the stuck 1.7.1 update and received it back on 4/4. I didn't mention the BC update because I was sick of the delays and just wanted the car back. No OTA's for about 2 weeks until one downloaded and was applied. Then almost a month later I received an update on Monday (5/16) and then received another this morning (5/18). I'm currently at 2.7.1.

Strange thing was that neither of the updates this week happened while it was parked overnight with automatic updates on, instead both downloaded and applied while I was out running errands.
This is exactly what I was talking about earlier today. I don't think updates work over wifi at all. I think they only are working when the cars are out and about in a city or area with good cell coverage. Think about it, the TCU is able to get good signal bandwidth in a city environment, the 12v battery has plenty of juice because the HVB is helping out, and especially in the case of all those ABA updates that can write to the "B" memory while the car is driving around using whatever software version is running in the "A" memory space, and when it gets done it says you got updated and the update will take effect when you restart the car. And the car car talks to the mothership while you're driving around using the TCU over AT&T (in the US), and your wifi is at your house and the car isn't connected to it.

But there isn't anybody that can definitely say that they know they got an OTA pushed to them over wifi at their house. The car's TCU is on and connected when the car is at home too. So I don't think OTAs ever come through wifi. I believe they only are pushed through the car's TCU.

The truth is out there....🤖

Mike

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
Car went in for update to fix the "issue" today.
They phoned just before and paused after saying hello.
I said, it failed and you're wanting to keep it so you can replace the APIM that I asked for four months ago.
He said, no, come and pick it up as the part won't be in until next week.
Trying hard not to be the last one left on 1.71.
Hopefully my Sync 4 might move from V4.0.20301 next week. (Dec 2020) Feels like so last decade.

Smolinski

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mustang mach 3
Country flag
After 5 weeks at the dealership, I see that BC is installed. Am I correct that they had to get at least 1.7 (maybe later) installed to get BC in there.

kulaga

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium ER Grey, 2023 MME GT Black
Country flag
This is exactly what I was talking about earlier today. I don't think updates work over wifi at all. I think they only are working when the cars are out and about in a city or area with good cell coverage. Think about it, the TCU is able to get good signal bandwidth in a city environment, the 12v battery has plenty of juice because the HVB is helping out, and especially in the case of all those ABA updates that can write to the "B" memory while the car is driving around using whatever software version is running in the "A" memory space, and when it gets done it says you got updated and the update will take effect when you restart the car. And the car car talks to the mothership while you're driving around using the TCU over AT&T (in the US), and your wifi is at your house and the car isn't connected to it.

But there isn't anybody that can definitely say that they know they got an OTA pushed to them over wifi at their house. The car's TCU is on and connected when the car is at home too. So I don't think OTAs ever come through wifi. I believe they only are pushed through the car's TCU.

The truth is out there....🤖

Mike
I think you might be right. Driving back from a restaurant, car downloaded 2.4.3 today. Going to have to come up with more excuses to drive it!!

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
After 5 weeks at the dealership, I see that BC is installed. Am I correct that they had to get at least 1.7 (maybe later) installed to get BC in there.
Yes. If you're in the "stuck" group then you can't get BC installed. When I brought my car in initially they told me that I had the stuck OTA fix done as it was a part of 21P22 and really wanted to make sure I wanted to spend the 2 days to get them to install BC. Rather than arguing with them that I knew the OTA fix wasn't part of 21P22 I just confirmed that I wanted them to install BC as I knew it would fail without it. Sure enough, in the tech notes they started installing BC and it failed because they didn't install the OTA fix, but it said the BC instructions told them to run TSB 22-2150 which they did.

Ford Mustang Mach-E OTA 1.7.1 Stuck, anyone else have issue updating? 279643674_327654666148810_364429427504413056_n

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well according to this wiki here you are probably at par with 2.8.3. But you won't see that in your "powerup version" display because as I'm sure you know the car may show the most recent version of the OTA powerup and provide a brief description but you could be months (in OTA time) past that if your car has been updated by the tech using FDRS.

My F-150 says my most recent powerup was 2.1.0.....but I'm fully updated and running Sync 421, so that OTA thing is meaningless in some cases.

Mike

Jim_I

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium X-R Batt RWD Carbonized Gray
Country flag

Yes, if BC is installed, you should be current. Something else to check. If your Sync version is 421 then you should be good to go.

Finally, have one of the people here that can check your VIN on FDRS. If they show nothing left to install there, you are up to date!

Glad to hear that you got your car back!!!!

Jim

stmache

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-e GTP, 2017 Ford Mustang EB
Occupation
IT Manager, Photographer
Country flag
Got this email from the Service Manager today...

Mr. Thomas -- All the
programing was successful,
our tech took a short road
test & utilized the BlueCruise
system - it is working as it
was designed.

It took a Ford Field Engineer working with Ford Engineering in Dearborn a full day's work yesterday to get it from a stuck 1.7.1 status to BlueCruise. I can only guess the dealership's one EV certified tech did get something accomplished during the previous days before the Field Engineer got involved, too.

Will pick it up later today. Want to thank @generaltso for all the VIN checks to see the status of updates through this 25 day ordeal, @louibluey a local Mach-e owner who offered to do the updates but I deferred determined my dealership do it (dammit!) and a person with connections to Ford who stepped in to get this thing done!

Maybe what they learned from my Mach-e with an early March, 2021 build date, will help others get unstuck and updated.

SMBE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ER Mach-E AWD
Country flag
Car went in for update to fix the "issue" today.
They phoned just before and paused after saying hello.
I said, it failed and you're wanting to keep it so you can replace the APIM that I asked for four months ago.
He said, no, come and pick it up as the part won't be in until next week.
Trying hard not to be the last one left on 1.71.
Hopefully my Sync 4 might move from V4.0.20301 next week. (Dec 2020) Feels like so last decade.
you are not the last one. My dealer, also in Canada, now claims that Ford has retracted the updates to fix the stuck issue. Maybe time to reach out to a different dealer.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
you are not the last one. My dealer, also in Canada, now claims that Ford has retracted the updates to fix the stuck issue. Maybe time to reach out to a different dealer.
If you give me your VIN I'll check to see what updates you may have pending.

Mike

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
My car is on "recall" which wasn't resolved and now they are doing the APIM (I assume that - they said Ford was sending them a part needed to get updates going). BECM and HVBJB have been done. Definitely need to keep at them. Told them 3-4 months ago the APIM needed replacing.
Looked to change my dealer and called another and they wanted to do my windscreen so my dealer at least seems the most progressive around even if mine was the first one they've done.
Sponsored