Have you received the BlueCruise Map Update?

• Total voters

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
You can. Your car checks all the time. Ford Has not deployed it to your car yet so it has nothing to download.
Come on, you know what he means. Just because Apple didn’t alert me that the newest iOS is available, doesn’t mean I can’t pull it from their server when I want to. Should the same way for Ford. If I ping their server asking for the update, then let me have it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
benk016

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Come on, you know what he means. Just because Apple didn’t alert me that the newest iOS is available, doesn’t mean I can’t pull it from their server when I want to. Should the same way for Ford. If I ping their server asking for the update, then let me have it.
Just because Apple does it one way, doesn't mean Ford does as well.

They release updates in waves of VIN's. If your VIN isn't selected, it won't see anything available.

The only way around it is to use FDRS and apply updates manually like a dealer does.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Just wanted to give a heads up that those who are general release and not early access should start to receive the updates. I've had a a couple forum members text me today saying that they have received the update and are not part of early access.

Keep your eyes peeled ?

OP
OP
benk016

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Just wanted to give a heads up that those who are general release and not early access should start to receive the updates. I've had a a couple forum members text me today saying that they have received the update and are not part of early access.

Keep your eyes peeled ?
According to the Poll above, I'm the only Early Access member that has received the update.

There have been 4 users report Non-Early Access installs.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Does this update show in the iOS widget tool like other updates when set to deploy, etc.?

OP
OP
benk016

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Does this update show in the iOS widget tool like other updates when set to deploy, etc.?
I don't have iOS, but it showed up for me on the widget @kennelh made for Android. It is delivered like all other OTA's so it should.

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
Regarding a larger map, I thought someone on the forums pointed out that the maps within the FordPass app have a slightly different color to them showing where BlueCruise was enabled... MagentaCruise?

IMG_8C7DE20F894D-1.jpeg
Sadly that is just a coincidence. The darker red color is HERE maps default rendering for motorways (divided highways with access control), it looks the same on any other map service using HERE maps.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Not eligible here. GT-PE with metal roof, so no Active 2.0 stuff on the car, making BlueCruise not available on my car. ??

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
In general, conservative update schedules would push updates in a ramp up of increasing percentages (eg, start with random distro of 5% of population, wait a couple of days, then increase to next 25% and so on). Then you check metrics of some type after each ramp to make sure things are normal with those who have the update. This may be kinda important with a big hunk of metal that could require an expensive dealer visit (or worse!) if the software doesn't update properly on it.

Since Ford is being pretty conservative with its OTAs, and it has a dealer network to update cars manually if needed, it probably isn't high on their list to provide consumers the ability to update their car whenever they want manually.

You probably aren't on the first ramp up for this update, but think in the back of your mind that it is actually a good thing that Ford is being more conservative in how it gains its experience with sending remote updates to cars.

One of the main reasons I bought the Mach-E was that I wanted the OEM mentality of being somewhat conservative and having the institutional experience of building cars. My car carries my loved ones, is a 5,000lb object when moving under my control, and it has to be reliable and predictable to me. I have experience in the driver distraction subject area, and it is actually really scary the effects on driver cognitive load when even little bugs or unexpected things occur.

I have less tolerance for risk in my car than I do for my phone or other gadgets. I just think it is important to recognize that car software is not the same as an app updating on your iPhone.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just because Apple does it one way, doesn't mean Ford does as well.

They release updates in waves of VIN's. If your VIN isn't selected, it won't see anything available.

The only way around it is to use FDRS and apply updates manually like a dealer does.
And just because Ford does it this way doesn’t mean it’s right.

Obviously Ford has been very conservative with all of their OTA rollouts and I understand they are doing it slowly. But at this point they must have a decent amount of data. And since they’re not really doing beta releases, one must also assume the software they are releasing is reading for prime time, and anyone who wants to actively pull it should be able to. But clearly we’ll have differing opinions on that.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In general, conservative update schedules would push updates in a ramp up of increasing percentages (eg, start with random distro of 5% of population, wait a couple of days, then increase to next 25% and so on). Then you check metrics of some type after each ramp to make sure things are normal with those who have the update. This may be kinda important with a big hunk of metal that could require an expensive dealer visit (or worse!) if the software doesn't update properly on it.

Since Ford is being pretty conservative with its OTAs, and it has a dealer network to update cars manually if needed, it probably isn't high on their list to provide consumers the ability to update their car whenever they want manually.

You probably aren't on the first ramp up for this update, but think in the back of your mind that it is actually a good thing that Ford is being more conservative in how it gains its experience with sending remote updates to cars.

One of the main reasons I bought the Mach-E was that I wanted the OEM mentality of being somewhat conservative and having the institutional experience of building cars. My car carries my loved ones, is a 5,000lb object when moving under my control, and it has to be reliable and predictable to me. I have experience in the driver distraction subject area, and it is actually really scary the effects on driver cognitive load when even little bugs or unexpected things occur.

I have less tolerance for risk in my car than I do for my phone or other gadgets. I just think it is important to recognize that car software is not the same as an app updating on your iPhone.
I 100% agree about being more safe than sorry with a vehicle software. I mean, I think it’s absolutely ridiculous Tesla has been allowed to release literal beta software to their customers’ cars.

But there’s slow rollouts and there’s what Ford has been doing, and unfortunately it’s been shown that Ford is having trouble with the OTA delivery part of things. Even Farley hinted that was why Job 1 cars haven’t received BlueCruise yet.

OP
OP
benk016

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
And just because Ford does it this way doesn’t mean it’s right.

Obviously Ford has been very conservative with all of their OTA rollouts and I understand they are doing it slowly. But at this point they must have a decent amount of data. And since they’re not really doing beta releases, one must also assume the software they are releasing is reading for prime time, and anyone who wants to actively pull it should be able to. But clearly we’ll have differing opinions on that.
It's not the software they are worried about pushing out. It's the OTA process as a whole they are working on. They hit a major issue and put them months behind schedule. And I have a feeling after that they are being even more conservative.

If they released them for everyone at once, everyone would probably be stuck on 1.7.1 right now.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It's not the software they are worried about pushing out. It's the OTA process as a whole they are working on. They hit a major issue and put them months behind schedule. And I have a feeling after that they are being even more conservative.

If they released them for everyone at once, everyone would probably be stuck on 1.7.1 right now.
Right, and with 2.3 it seems like maybe, possibly, they’re going to let people get the software updates when they want them, instead of waiting for the lottery. At least the release notes make it seem that way. Right now the system is still broken and scheduling updates means virtually nothing.
They probably hope/wish they’ll be able to let customers pull the software like Apple does, but it seems a lot of work remains. There’s a difference between a slow rollout and what we’re seeing now.

pclarkjr

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
job 2 non-early access here, got the update today ??

OP
OP
benk016

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Right, and with 2.3 it seems like maybe, possibly, they’re going to let people get the software updates when they want them, instead of waiting for the lottery. At least the release notes make it seem that way. Right now the system is still broken and scheduling updates means virtually nothing.
They probably hope/wish they’ll be able to let customers pull the software like Apple does, but it seems a lot of work remains. There’s a difference between a slow rollout and what we’re seeing now.
The scheduling they added in 2.3.0 is for after it's downloaded you can schedule a window or multiple windows for it to install in since it will make the car inoperable during some updates.
Sponsored