TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Ghost Stallion is lurking and liking this thread!
Sponsored

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
You heard wrong.

I reported the Huber Heights location was only giving 34kw at the 350kw locations. On August 29th. Now, 3 weeks later, PlugShare shows the same issues...https://www.plugshare.com/location/171776

Two Chevy Bolt owners thought 34kw was normal... One said the chargers "ramp down during peak electrical demand".

Go look on PlugShare for Gainesville.
https://www.plugshare.com/location/192956

Here's Bushnell, FL. I reported them also. Weeks later, still broken...https://www.plugshare.com/location/158468
Wouldn’t be surprised if the ones in Bushnell
were sabotaged lol.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
What exactly was wrong with the EA station in Gainesville? I’ve heard EA is pretty responsive on fixing issues.
Only 1 of the stations in Gainesville has been working properly for months now, and not all the time - sometimes it maxes at 34 kw. I cannot confirm this, but it seems like the 350kw stations are particularly susceptible to falling back to 34kw. Purely supposition, but it seems like their temperature sensors and/or cooling systems are more finicky. The 150's are susceptible also, but they don't seem to be as bad. Labor day weekend I tried to charge before dinner and there were 2 other people at the 3 150kw EA station Target location. One guy was on the phone trying to get his bolt to charge at all, and another guy was charging his ID.4 but it was only at 34kw. The third station kept erroring out and I couldn't get a charge going for more than a minute. The Mrs and I decided to try again after dinner. When we returned there was no one there, so we plugged in to the station that worked for the ID.4. Lo and behold the station reported that the car was asking for 120kw but the station was only supplying 80kw.

isn’t charging to 100% for a road trip for example which I think is to 88kw really only using roughly 90% of the battery (98kw total) . So charging to 90% of allowed 88kw is roughly 81%. Unless I am missing something which is possible.
Yes "100%" right now is only 88 of 99 kwh. BUT, the point is that the cars are configured for 100%, so if Ford opens up the buffer those cars will STILL be charging to 100% of the new size (say 93kwh of 99). Doing that on an everyday basis is bad for the battery, so they are not sure what to do for those drivers.

IMHO the smart thing to do is have a "road trip" setting that temporarily opens the additional buffer, and warns the driver every time they start it. OR, they can add a new button to the FP app that does a one-shot charge to 93kwh instead of 88 before a road trip.

Last edited:

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I already apologized ...
Sure, having the word "sorry" in a complaint is an apology for calling the man a nerd and a ballwasher:

Sorry, I thought you were more aware of the dismal quarter mile performance issues that started with user 0t60-3.5 and the rest of us have also been experiencing, since a picture of his car appeared in your video.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Only 1 of the stations in Gainesville has been working properly for months now, and not all the time - sometimes it maxes at 34 kw. I cannot confirm this, but it seems like the 350kw stations are particularly susceptible to falling back to 34kw. Purely supposition, but it seems like their temperature sensors and/or cooling systems are more finicky. The 150's are susceptible also, but they don't seem to be as bad. Labor day weekend I tried to charge before dinner and there were 2 other people at the 3 150kw EA station Target location. One guy was on the phone trying to get his bolt to charge at all, and another guy was charging his ID.4 but it was only at 34kw. The third station kept erroring out and I couldn't get a charge going for more than a minute. The Mrs and I decided to try again after dinner. When we returned there was no one there, so we plugged in to the station that worked for the ID.4. Lo and behold the station reported that the car was asking for 120kw but the station was only supplying 80kw.

Yes "100%" right now is only 88 of 99 kwh. BUT, the point is that the cars are configured for 100%, so if Ford opens up the buffer those cars will STILL be charging to 100% of the new size (say 93kwh of 99). Doing that on an everyday basis is bad for the battery, so they are not sure what to do for those drivers.

IMHO the smart thing to do is have a "road trip" setting that temporarily opens the additional buffer, and warns the driver every time they start it. OR, they can add a new button to the FP app that does a one-shot charge to 93kwh instead of 88 before a road trip.
I’ve been setting my charging limit to 90%, have had it less than a week, but seeing I should be setting it to 80% most of the time? Then do 100% if I’m going on a trip?

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I’ve been setting my charging limit to 90%, have had it less than a week, but seeing I should be setting it to 80% most of the time? Then do 100% if I’m going on a trip?
90% is fine - it is what Ford recommends in the manual. 90% of 88kwh is 79kw, so you're below the threshold where it is hardest on the battery.

For trips, yes by all means charge to 100%

Last edited:

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No, 90% is fine - it is what Ford recommends in the manual. 90% of 88kwh is 79kw, so you're below the threshold where it is hardest on the battery
Of course all the dealers have been charging to 100%. Every demo I’ve seen.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Of course all the dealers have been charging to 100%. Every demo I’ve seen.
yes, but that's OK since 100% isn't really 100% and they are only doing it for a short while. The key is how you charge/discharge it over years. Occasional road trips where you charge to 100% and drain to below 20% are fine - it's what you do on a daily basis that is more important

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
yes, but that's OK since 100% isn't really 100% and they are only doing it for a short while. The key is how you charge/discharge it over years. Occasional road trips where you charge to 100% and drain to below 20% are fine - it's what you do on a daily basis that is more important
I know I’ve seen it before but I can’t for the life of me find that part in the manual right now. Which section is it under?

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I know I’ve seen it before but I can’t for the life of me find that part in the manual right now. Which section is it under?
Page 149 titled "High Voltage Battery":
Ford Mustang Mach-E OTA Mach-E DC Fast Charging speed and threshold increases coming this winter 1632053019652

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
90% is fine - it is what Ford recommends in the manual. 90% of 88kwh is 79kw, so you're below the threshold where it is hardest on the battery.

For trips, yes by all means charge to 100%
Last week I set ours up to charge to 90% but it still charged to 100%. I noticed later that the charge settings disappeared in Fordpass but showed up ok in the car!

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Last week I set ours up to charge to 90% but it still charged to 100%. I noticed later that the charge settings disappeared in Fordpass but showed up ok in the car!
I noticed that if you set it to automatically charge when plugged in and don’t set up preferred charging times it will go to 100% even if you set a limit through that option, which is confusing. You can set preferred charging time to Anytime and it works correctly, stopping at 90.

ElectrifyCLT

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT- Dark Matter Grey
Country flag
Good lord Frankie give it up. This is huge news for more people than trap speeds, and Kyle is one of the best in the business by far. Even if Kyle were to ask there’s no way they’d say anything, there’s an embargo until Mid-October as reported by Mike Levine on Twitter. There’s going to be no-comment on driving dynamics or performance from any reputable outlet until then. Anyone that jumps the gun runs risk of getting blackballed by Ford going forward. It’s not worth the risk to anyone in the business to push those buttons with automakers. Even then, Kyle admitted he hasn’t done enough research yet to understand the problem you’re blaming him for not bringing up. I appreciate the fact that he does his research before trying to pin someone to the wall. He’s done great analysis of the charging curve with InsideEVs.

Here’s the trap speed thread for your reference, in case you forgot where to find it.

Here’s another one. Stop bringing your issue into every irrelevant thread. It’s absolutely an issue and until the embargo and media drive you’re unlikely to hear anything.

Please, let others talk about other topics they care about in the appropriate threads.

Sorry, I thought you were more aware of the dismal quarter mile performance issues that started with user 0t60-3.5 and the rest of us have also been experiencing, since a picture of his car appeared in your video.

It's not just that it's slower than the 4X, even if it were to be tested to be slightly faster than the 4X it would still be pretty wretched compared to the MYP which is not what us GT owners were hoping for.
Sponsored