RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I have to say that in watching that interview, what struck me as showing that Ford isn't in touch with the owners was the games / entertainment features coming. Really? I want to play games on my $60,000 vehicle? I'm driving, and the passengers can use their tablets or phones. And when I'm charging, I don't need to play mindless games. Fix the problems, then add features.
Sponsored

OP
OP
silverelan

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I have to say that in watching that interview, what struck me as showing that Ford isn't in touch with the owners was the games / entertainment features coming. Really? I want to play games on my $60,000 vehicle? I'm driving, and the passengers can use their tablets or phones. And when I'm charging, I don't need to play mindless games. Fix the problems, then add features.
It's a big screen and has good graphics/processing power. Why not make entertainment options available?

As for range increases, they could be gained in a couple of different ways. First would be with the battery buffer being unlocked. Second could be with system optimizations. Might be a combination of both.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
It's a big screen and has good graphics/processing power. Why not make entertainment options available?

As for range increases, they could be gained in a couple of different ways. First would be with the battery buffer being unlocked. Second could be with system optimizations. Might be a combination of both.
Because it takes away from everything else, unless that person(s) is only developing entertainment and has no capability to do anything else.

OP
OP
silverelan

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Because it takes away from everything else, unless that person(s) is only developing entertainment and has no capability to do anything else.
I hear what you're saying, that various bugs should be fixed first, but I think Ford's devs can walk and chew gum at the same time. Porting some simple apps into the infotainment system isn't a big deal. Also, as @breeves002 points out, there's been some decent Sync 4a refinements already.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I hear what you're saying, that various bugs should be fixed first, but I think Ford's devs can walk and chew gum at the same time. Porting some simple apps into the infotainment system isn't a big deal. Also, as @breeves002 points out, there's been some decent Sync 4a refinements already.
EXACTLY. It is VERY likely that the games are being developed by a separate team (possibly outsourced) than the core infotainment team that is responsible for fixing the sync4a issues. The teams doing the firmware for the different modules are most definitely not the same team as the infotainment developers - they are completely different skillsets. Based on its issues, the fordpass app maintenance is likely contracted out altogether.

It's a false dichotomy to say "do this or that": many things can be done concurrently.

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
I think it's more that they can chew gum, but are unable to walk.

bp99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME eAWD, 21 MME CA Route 1 (sold)
Country flag
EXACTLY. It is VERY likely that the games are being developed by a separate team (possibly outsourced) than the core infotainment team that is responsible for fixing the sync4a issues. The teams doing the firmware for the different modules are most definitely not the same team as the infotainment developers - they are completely different skillsets. Based on its issues, the fordpass app maintenance is likely contracted out altogether.

It's a false dichotomy to say "do this or that": many things can be done concurrently.
It's all the same budget. They can pay a developer/contractor to create games, or spend that money on a developer/contractor that fixes bugs/improves the infotainment system for the driver.

OP
OP
silverelan

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
It's all the same budget. They can pay a developer/contractor to create games, or spend that money on a developer/contractor that fixes bugs/improves the infotainment system for the driver.
I very seriously doubt that is a concern. Ford is dumping billions of dollars into catching up to Tesla, and adding entertainment while charging was very likely on the roadmap already - although probably not this early.

How about firing the incompetent devs and mgrs, and hiring better, more expensive ones?
excellent insight :rolleyes:

bp99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME eAWD, 21 MME CA Route 1 (sold)
Country flag
Adding more devs to a particular project doesn't make it go faster.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooks's_law
It depends on where the constraint is. Yes, there are many development tasks that cannot be divided (developers will be stepping on each other's code). Some of those cascade downward if there are dependencies blocking other work. There's also ramp up time to become familiar with the code making an initial additional hire slow down the overall project as others need to assist them.

However, if the constraint is too much work on components that are distinct, additional developers can speed up the process. Every project has a cutoff point of diminishing (and even negative) return on additional staffing. It all depends on the total scope and architecture. Otherwise, no project would ever have more than a single developer.

Nikos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Must GT, 21MME AWD, 22 F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Country flag
Hello everyone.!!!
I have experienced a problem with my MME.
My USB ports under the console have quit charging my cell phone and I am getting warnings of " device in USB port is not responding ". Have you seen this in your MME. Maybe is time to take it to Ford for some TLC and the 10000 mile look over.

AndyR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E X
Country flag
if a gallon of gas is $3 and you get 30 miles to a gallon that is 10 cents a mile
if you pay 35 cents a Kwh and you get 3.5 miles per Kwh = 10 cents a mile

charging at home could be 3 cents a mile much better
You are on the right track!
Ford Mustang Mach-E OTA Mach-E DC Fast Charging speed and threshold increases coming this winter 1632437945306

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Hello everyone.!!!
I have experienced a problem with my MME.
My USB ports under the console have quit charging my cell phone and I am getting warnings of " device in USB port is not responding ". Have you seen this in your MME. Maybe is time to take it to Ford for some TLC and the 10000 mile look over.
Try a different USB cable.
Sponsored