OTA month sprints or every 6-month updates?

SashaLondon

First Name
Sasha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME AWD SR
Country flag
Wondering if anyone heard if they plan to do updates every month (or shorter timescales) or leave it and have larger ones coming out slowly. I do not know how often Tesla updates but they seem to have one every few weeks.
Sponsored

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
They mentioned first update was late 2021, referring to the hands-free driving assist. Possible they do bug fixes and small improvements in the mean time. I don't think they said one way or the other.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
I seem to remember in one of our town hall meetings it was mentioned about there being about 10-12 updates in the first year. So Iā€™m guessing that weā€™ll see updates every 5-6 weeks.

Purely speculation on my part but Iā€™m thinking weā€™ll see functionality updates and horsepower increases for sale in the first year. More drive modes and additional uses for the ā€˜volumeā€™ knob.

OP
OP
SashaLondon

SashaLondon

First Name
Sasha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME AWD SR
Country flag
I seem to remember in one of our town hall meetings it was mentioned about there being about 10-12 updates in the first year. So Iā€™m guessing that weā€™ll see updates every 5-6 weeks.

Purely speculation on my part but Iā€™m thinking weā€™ll see functionality updates and horsepower increases for sale in the first year. More drive modes and additional uses for the ā€˜volumeā€™ knob.
Brilliant that was what I wanted to know.

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I am hoping for frequent updates. What that means for us is further refinement . Tesla has done a remarkable job with OTA, resulting in major improvements to battery life and power over the last couple of years. I am really hoping for the same from Ford once data from real world drivers starts flowing in.

OTA is important for futureproofing. Spending the amount of money on the MachE that I am , I don't want to wish I had another car in 3 years.

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Yeah. It was the update for hands free driving.
Right, they said hands free driving would be available in an OTA update in Q3 2021. But when did they say there wouldnā€™t be any OTA updates before then?

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
šŸ”‘ ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ šŸ‘€
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Right, they said hands free driving would be available in an OTA update in Q3 2021. But when did they say there wouldnā€™t be any OTA updates before then?
I definitely recall them saying that the first OTA update was planned for about six months after first customer deliveries.

I remember this because of my reaction as a software engineer. I was wondering how they could possibly predict this unless the update is ready and sitting in the shelf for some reason. Will be interesting to see if it does anything major or if it's more of a minor field test.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I definitely recall them saying that the first OTA update was planned for about six months after first customer deliveries.

I remember this because of my reaction as a software engineer. I was wondering how they could possibly predict this unless the update is ready and sitting in the shelf for some reason. Will be interesting to see if it does anything major or if it's more of a minor field test.
Yes, they were planning one for release about 6 months out. That doesn't mean they won't have another earlier. I'm expecting one near delivery.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I would expect the answer to be "it depends". They clearly are planning an update in the 3rd quarter, but I would expect patches for serious bugs found after release might be scheduled sooner.

As for rolling out updates after every sprint, that feels too frequent for a mission critical device like a car.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
šŸ”‘ ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ šŸ‘€
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
There will be a release before the select models start down the line and turn into GT build.
You heard it here first, folks!

Selects will be turned into GTs via OTA before you even take delivery. Awesome! I'm glad I've still got my second reservation from last November.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
You heard it here first, folks!

Selects will be turned into GTs via OTA before you even take delivery. Awesome! I'm glad I've still got my second reservation from last November.
no no no - the update will make this commercial play on the Sync 4A screen every start after pressure from the MCA.

Sponsored