Reaction score
Website
www.drobnxs.com
Vehicles
21 MME, 65 Mustang Too Many to List!
Occupation
Physicist
Country flag
Apple is not perfect. Google is not perfect. Updates are still troublesome for everyone.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...ems-bugs-upgrade-13-pro-max-/?sh=6b28c9ba6116
I get that they aren't perfect. If you read my whole post I acknowledged that and said the proof is the response to the stumble.

My overly beaten dead horse point is that the troubles with the Mach-E OTA program were mostly self inflicted by not doing homework on best practices prior to launch.

This isn't just internet bitching. This is a fair assessment from someone who actually has managed complex products that have a significant software load along with customers who don't tolerate lack of transparency or an inability to access a product history and upgrade audit trail.

I'm just calling it how I see it as a person who's actually done this for a living.

I give Ford tons of credit for a great car, and also point out where they have fallen short.

OTA at the start fell very short.
Sponsored

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
I get that they aren't perfect. If you read my whole post I acknowledged that and said the proof is the response to the stumble.

My overly beaten dead horse point is that the troubles with the Mach-E OTA program were mostly self inflicted by not doing homework on best practices prior to launch.

This isn't just internet bitching. This is a fair assessment from someone who actually has managed complex products that have a significant software load along with customers who don't tolerate lack of transparency or an inability to access a product history and upgrade audit trail.

I'm just calling it how I see it as a person who's actually done this for a living.

I give Ford tons of credit for a great car, and also point out where they have fallen short.

OTA at the start fell very short.
I just think clarity around OTA would go MILES (pun intended) Official word about releases and what is actually updated, correct version numbers like normal, etc. I'm just glad we've got vehicle that can be updated OTA with new features.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
You said:

But why should we think that not learning from those examples from oh so long ago is acceptable? I mean the lessons learned have been in the public domain for years.
I'm pointing out that Apple failed to perfect software updates 40 years ago, 4 years ago, and even has significant failures just 4 months ago.

From your point above, Apple has apparently decided that it IS acceptable to not learn from ITS OWN mistakes over the years, nor from lessons learned from the "public domain."

All I was pointing out was bad logic in the argument you used to assess Ford's ranking against software 'peers.'

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I just think clarity around OTA would go MILES (pun intended) Official word about releases and what is actually updated, correct version numbers like normal, etc. I'm just glad we've got vehicle that can be updated OTA with new features.
1000% agree with this.

I think all the speculation on what Ford is or isn't doing here is part of the reason people get so upset about this.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
1000% agree with this.

I think all the speculation on what Ford is or isn't doing here is part of the reason people get so upset about this.
We also have to remember what they accomplished amidst a global pandemic. How much of this was coded on simulators? I'm usually a glass half-full guy.

Dr Obnxs

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drobnxs.com
Vehicles
21 MME, 65 Mustang Too Many to List!
Occupation
Physicist
Country flag
You said:

I'm pointing out that Apple failed to perfect software updates 40 years ago, 4 years ago, and even has significant failures just 4 months ago.

From your point above, Apple has apparently decided that it IS acceptable to not learn from ITS OWN mistakes over the years, nor from lessons learned from the "public domain."

All I was pointing out was bad logic in the argument you used to assess Ford's ranking against software 'peers.'
Just to get accurate here, you're making a mistake. Your post implies that perfection is the only way to demonstrate that one has learned. That's a claim that is false on it's face.

Even if one has improved massively over time, there are always going to be issues.

My complaint isn't that they aren't perfect. It's that they even failed to do due diligence is designing a program that is anywhere close to resembling one based on easily identifiably best practices.

Those that understand my point get it. Those that are going to say others with experience still aren't perfect so the FORD OTA roll out was great and the current implantation is fine and acceptable don't get my point. And probably never will.

I think I've spent enough time on this one. If others want to continue the debate that's fine.

EGmachE

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE CR1
Country flag
Guessing my car tried to update and failed. It doesn't show what version I have anymore. Just says up to date

IMG_20220113_175914.jpg

IMG_20220113_180759.jpg

Eric_C_Boston

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E RWD ER
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
I think my car had a partly failed 1.7.1 update as I did not get the update message in the car or FordPass, but my APIM module strategy went from MU5T-14G676-CA to MU5T-14G676-FB. I recently got Powerup 2.30 and it does update the APIM and TCU.

2.3.0 updated the APIM from DSMU5T-14G670-FB to DSMU5T-14G670-EG (strategy from MU5T-14G676-FB to MU5T-14G676-EG). One of the ECU Configurations went from MU5T-14J003-AD to MU5T-14J003-AF. The calibration did not change. The map and voice files did not change, but some of the other Sync4 files did. There were three added software components.

2.3.0 also updated the TCU from DSMU5T-14H074-AAV to DSMU5T-14H074-AAX (Strategy from MU5T-14H085-FA to MU5T-14H085-DG). The ECU Config stayed the same, but three other software components were updated.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Those that are going to say others with experience still aren't perfect so the FORD OTA roll out was great and the current implantation is fine and acceptable don't get my point. And probably never will.
Non sequitur fallacy.

And much ado about nothing -- a comedy btw.

tannerk89

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Just to get accurate here, you're making a mistake. Your post implies that perfection is the only way to demonstrate that one has learned. That's a claim that is false on it's face.

Even if one has improved massively over time, there are always going to be issues.

My complaint isn't that they aren't perfect. It's that they even failed to do due diligence is designing a program that is anywhere close to resembling one based on easily identifiably best practices.

Those that understand my point get it. Those that are going to say others with experience still aren't perfect so the FORD OTA roll out was great and the current implantation is fine and acceptable don't get my point. And probably never will.

I think I've spent enough time on this one. If others want to continue the debate that's fine.
I think you’re confidence that your experience would translate directly to the automotive world is pretty short sited.

As others have explained updating a phone or a computer, or even a network of computers or PLC’s is an entirely different problem than updating a car. They work differently than what you are used to. 47+ modules in a vehicle that rely on the software to work 100% or fail safely with varying degrees of network connectivity and types and times and regions etc.

It’s not an off the shelf solution that can just be plugged in.

PeeKay

First Name
Pravin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 MachE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I had my first failure of 2.3.0 on Jan 7th. Car was connected to WiFi at that time. Reading about the possibility that Wifi connectivity could cause failures, I disabled the WiFi client in the car, and parked my car in the driveway.

The OTA status page changed from "General failure will retry", to pending. But in a few hours, went back to failure. So it seems like there is something else going on in addition to WiFi. Not sure if Fords servers are unable to handle a lot of cars, or theres something else going on.

I will try the same procedure again tomorrow.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
My update was unsuccessful on 1-10-22. Still no evidence of it attempting to update again. OTA Details mention an expiration of 1-14-22...

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
My update was unsuccessful on 1-10-22. Still no evidence of it attempting to update again. OTA Details mention an expiration of 1-14-22...
Same. If it doesn’t happen today then we have to wait for another push?

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Same. If it doesn’t happen today then we have to wait for another push?
I'd guess so. Hopefully that'll happen right after this push expires. I did turn Wifi off just in case.

I know it isn't a huge deal, but making a road trip next Friday and was hoping to have the update by then.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
You said:

I would add that Apple has a reputation for being opaque about some of their updates, to the frustration of their user base (this from an Apple fan boy). Certainly, the OTA rollout has been rough, end-user communication poor, and the OTAs themselves seem completely disorganized and random from a user perspective. I agree that ford could go a long way to addressing this by simply pushing useful communications through FordPass instead of using FordPass as a platform to hawk the stupid Visa card to tell me I need to get “the works” service package (give it a break already!)
Sponsored