macgyver60

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD Ext Range
Country flag
So today got the latest OTA to 2.4.4 after I got home from an errand. In the short time before I left for work without any notifications there was an OTA update on the car. The problem is that when I backed out of the garage the car shot out much faster than I was expecting. What happened is that the OTA update disabled the one pedal driving which caused the car to move when it shouldn’t have and faster than it should have.

This isn’t the first time this has happened and it’s potentially dangerous. I don’t see any good reason why they would reset the drivers settings every time they do an OTA update but that practice should be reconsidered.
Sponsored

hbirring01

First Name
Harman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Valid point however, people really should be looking at the cluster before operating the vehicle. There is an icon for 1pd and if its not there that should be a clue. Not trying to be mean because I have been bitten by that before but I make a habit out of it now. I also, check to make sure my profile is selected in the main center screen. It takes me 2 seconds or less to do that simple check

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Some module updates return some settings to defaults. The "ask on exit" setting for the motion sensors is another one that often gets reset after an update. It may not be desirable, but that's how it works.

Mathington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
If an OTA changes or removes the driver preferences, there should be a message on the infotainment screen after the update is complete. This way the user is made aware and can correct their settings to prevent something like this.

WyldStallyn

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
I agree with the concern of the OP but with this being new technology to Ford and still a significant number of issues to resolve I don't put full faith in the system when I operate the vehicle.

My son and I are the same height but I'm set to 1PD and he is not. The only way we can be sure that everything is correct is to check our profiles and drive mode when we get ready to go. We shouldn't need to do so but it is a minor inconvenience to make sure everything is set as we expect and it is the responsibility of the driver to make sure the vehicle is ready to operate safely.

Another example is BlueCruise. I trust it almost 100% even in heavy traffic but I still am ready to take control especially going around a corner next to a semi.

mikeinet

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Standard AWD Tech/Comfort
Occupation
Cyber Security, First Responder
Country flag
Yeah - that's a major concern. Any update should give prompts of what changed, warnings, etc.

There should be some sort of an alert of "THIS SETTING CHANGED SINCE YOU LAST DROVE...and you didn't make the change!"

OP
OP
macgyver60

macgyver60

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD Ext Range
Country flag
Valid point however, people really should be looking at the cluster before operating the vehicle. There is an icon for 1pd and if its not there that should be a clue. Not trying to be mean because I have been bitten by that before but I make a habit out of it now. I also, check to make sure my profile is selected in the main center screen. It takes me 2 seconds or less to do that simple check
There is always something else the driver can do to make sure everything is safe. How many people check their side view and rear mirrors before driving off? The point is that the more points of failure you leave in a system the greater the chance that something or someone will fail. This should be easy to fix
Sponsored