Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
A Faraday bag would be much easier.
But bulkier. A switch on the fob can be also a theft deterrent if someone steals the fob and tries to use it.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
All Fords with the door key pad will lock by just touching the 7-8 and 9-0 keys simultaneously with two fingertips. The car will soundly lock and flash the parking lights as a confirmation. I do this because it is simple and easier than taking out the fob and pressing the Lock button. It also saves the fob battery. This is a conscient act, so I will always remember that the car is locked.

If you have never done this, visit your Ford dealer and ask permission to test it on one of the demo vehicles. You may like it as much as we preset Ford owners do!
True, but we know when using passive key or PAAK, the car will lock when you walk away, if configured.
Page 78 of the manual:
Walk Away Lock will lock all the doors​
when all of the following are met:​
  • The vehicle is off.
  • All doors are closed and unlocked.
  • A door has been opened and closed without a lock or unlock occurring after all doors have been closed.
  • Any passive key or authorized phone is not inside the vehicle.
  • All passive keys or authorized phones leave the passive entry zone of the vehicle.

All Hat No Cattle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Genesis GV-80 , 2017 Edge Titanium
Country flag
OK, first some rational thinking, LOL. Will a potential car thief know that there is a key fob in a Faraday bag hidden somewhere in the vehicle? If so, how?

How much time will a car thief spend searching for a fob that may or may not be in the vehicle?

I have not had the opportunity to sit in an MME yet, but I have seen one opened up, and I was up close. There are numerous places to hide a fob in a bag.

Now, if that bag pictured is too big for you to hide, there is always the old school method to deactivate the fob. Don't laugh.:)

Just wrap the damn thing in aluminum foil, with a couple of wraps. That actually works, and you can test it by trying to start the vehicle.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Other Methods of Entry Into Mach-E : Phone as Key (Paak) and Door Code 1611952713590

Ford Mustang Mach-E Other Methods of Entry Into Mach-E : Phone as Key (Paak) and Door Code 1611952752301

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
Will a potential car thief know that there is a key fob in a Faraday bag hidden somewhere in the vehicle? If so, how?
I don't think that's possible. If there is, I expect that someone would have posted how on the internet. I could be wrong though.

How much time will a car thief spend searching for a fob that may or may not be in the vehicle?
That's a good point. If the chance of a key-in-faraday is low, I doubt a thief would try to look for it.

Now, if that bag pictured is too big for you to hide, there is always the old school method to deactivate the fob. Don't laugh.
You can buy faraday bags made specifically for car keys. Just search "faraday car key" on google. Those are minimally larger than a car key.

Just wrap the damn thing in aluminum foil, with a couple of wraps. That actually works, and you can test it by trying to start the vehicle.
I wouldn't do this. It's too much hassle.

Last edited:

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
OK, first some rational thinking, LOL. Will a potential car thief know that there is a key fob in a Faraday bag hidden somewhere in the vehicle? If so, how?

I have not had the opportunity to sit in an MME yet, but I have seen one opened up, and I was up close. There are numerous places to hide a fob in a bag.

Now, if that bag pictured is too big for you to hide, there is always the old school method to deactivate the fob. Don't laugh.:)

Ford Mustang Mach-E Other Methods of Entry Into Mach-E : Phone as Key (Paak) and Door Code 1611952752301
That thing needs a Pony on it...

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
between the warm up, pre-conditioning, charge routines and key fob/PAAK stuff, this car is starting to sound like a pain in the arse to deal with. Ahh the days of get in and just drive...
Never mind, I snapped out of it...

mr_raider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag

No one will steal an EV. Chill

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
between the warm up, pre-conditioning, charge routines and key fob/PAAK stuff, this car is starting to sound like a pain in the arse to deal with. Ahh the days of get in and just drive...
I think that's because some people obsess. Set up leave times and charge times once. Then just get in and drive the thing and don't worry about all the other crap.

All Hat No Cattle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Have no fear, this will all soon become routine. :)

All Hat No Cattle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No one will steal an EV. Chill
You would think so, because of the limited mileage you might get joy-riding.

But then I remembered reading something on this forum.

How much is a Mach E Extended Battery worth??

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
But bulkier. A switch on the fob can be also a theft deterrent if someone steals the fob and tries to use it.
Open compartment, remove battery, insert a small bit of plastic film, reassemble. Also preserves battery life until that rare occasion when you actually need the fob. Takes seconds.
I’m sure almost all of you have received devices with one of these film pieces inserted to preserve the battery until it’s sold.

SteveJo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, Job 1 Mach-e/X
Country flag
Now a Faraday bag is something I can speak to, having used one for years. The F-150 crowd uses them when they go hiking, biking etc., and don't want to take the fob with them. They hide the bag & fob in the many hiding places on their F-150, and use the keypad for entry.

I use mine for completely putting the truck to sleep in my garage, by making it think that I left with the fob. You test it by trying to start the truck, it tells you "No fob found".

And they are cheap! I use these, they are the smallest I could find, and they work.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Faraday-Ba...546374?hash=item5dc051d2c6:g:Z-MAAOSwUvlgDUo-

I use it
You can save a couple bucks by buying directly from Amazon:

Amazon.com: Faraday Bag for Key Fob (2 Pack), GICENT Car RFID Signal Blocking Pouch,Faraday Key fob Protector, Black Anti-Theft Signal Blocker, Remote Entry Smart Fob Case: Car Electronics

Jako607

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bolt
Country flag
Okay I can't for the life of me figure out how to set up the backup start pass code. I found the instructions in the manual to set the five digit door code to get into the vehicle, and that works. But once I am in the vehicle I cannot get the screen to show a passcode. I went into the manual and it explains how to use a backup start passcode but I have no idea where to set up such a code. I read in this thread that it's supposed to be eight digits but I only have the five digit master code they gave me for the door. How do you actually get into the car and start driving and using only a passcode and not a phone or fob? Where is this elusive 8 digit passcode for the screen?
Sponsored