Liv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1998 RAV4 Art Car
Occupation
BioCAD Engineer
Country flag
You represented the MME community well. What you didn't mention is that you didn't cut through parking lots, actually acted human and socialized, and didn't sweat a contrived contest. Plus, Blucifer looked better than the other cars, except the Porsche - that is one amazing car. Oh, I don't suspect that Liv would take being yelled at to get in the car like Kyle did a few times. If I pulled that, my wife would arrive very late minus me, but with a shovel and dirt from the shallow grave she put me in somewhere in the desert!
Haaaahahah that's a gem! Patrick told me to come check this post and watched me out of the corner of his eye for when I cracked up! I'm definitely glad we were there to add a more chill variety to the road tripper styles. I know some people really are the Go Go Go types on road trips, so it's good to have the Kyle perspective too with us as the other end of the scale. When we finally get around to editing our footage, there's quite a lot of us having fun while charging. I mean, there was a Lucid! There was a test Mach-E, there were puppies! Distractions too good to pass up 😂😉
Sponsored

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Part II went live on Sunday. I am not sure if it got its own post already but just in case…

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
Would be fun to do again and switch up the drivers. IE...how much closer would it have been had Kyle been in the MachE and the MachE drivers in a Taycan?

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
Would be fun to do again and switch up the drivers. IE...how much closer would it have been had Kyle been in the MachE and the MachE drivers in a Taycan?
I'm game! I wouldn't mind some time behind the wheel of the Taycan.😁

ponydsp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MME Premium 4ER, Taycan CT, 650s, F8 on order
Country flag
Ironically Liv's video made it clear "someone" asked about buying the green river coffee shop! But now we need more details...

As for charging speed, that seems to be a double edged sword. While it allows you to charge much faster in road trips my understanding it it's also exponentially harder on the battery to handle those curves. This might be fine for a leased or short term vehicle but what if you wanted to keep it 10 years? Pretty certain it was one of Kyle's earlier videos that pointed out you DON'T want to buy a E-Tron used for exactly this reason.
My Taycan CT gives the option of “battery friendly DCFC”. Basically limiting the speed to <200kw to prolong the life of the battery if you frequently DCFC.

Mathington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
After watching Part 2, it seemed like the difference between Bluecifer and the Ioniq 5 was only 35 min for most of the trip but perhaps that last charging stop added a lot more when they wanted to charge extra so they wouldn't have to in the morning?

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
@Mach-E VLOG and @Liv , way to keep it close to the Ioniq 5 for the first 400 miles. I think if the stops had been managed differently you guys could have gotten to Green River not far behind Kyle and still ahead of the Hyundai but the Ioniq 5 still would probably have left before you.

Mathington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
@Liv @Mach-E VLOG Any ETA on when your video from the road trip will be uploaded on your channel? Really looking forward to watching it!

• Love
Reactions: Liv

Eric_C_Boston

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E RWD ER
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
This event seemed more like a rally than a race.

Both @OutofSpecKyle & @Mach-E VLOG have been very helpful in explaining various aspects of EV ownership. Thanks.

It would be interesting to include a non-hybrid ICE vehicle for comparison. Besides the fuel stops, there are meal and other breaks. Google maps shows 11-1/4 hours to drive the 749 miles from Denver to Las Vegas. That is at least two fuel stops of like 10 or 15 minutes. It would be two meal breaks of 15 to 30 minutes, maybe timed with the fuel stops. It would depend on the ICE vehicle since it may not be able to do 300 mile range (fuel tank size standard) in the mountains.

My takeaway is both CCS and Tesla have various charger infrastructure problems. You have to plan things out more than an ICE car. I noticed today on plugshare that the road to Loves Truck Stop was closed without warning or signs on May 2. It was back open by May 11.

I like to limit my driving on road trips to a maximum of 8 hours a day with a rare 10 hour maximum for a destination day. I would consider more if there was another driver in the car to share driving duties. It seemed like the primary driver did almost all of the driving in the videos. Maybe the additional charging stops with the MME would help extend my driving stamina.

I also like to charge up to 80% and not stop early. The great thing about the new charge curve is going to lunch and coming back to 91% SOC without staying that much longer.

If you want a challenge for a CCS vehicle then drive from Boston, MA to Moncton, NB and back, only about an 8-1/2 hour drive each way. Tesla has Superchargers in Brewer and Medway so they have an easier time. A CCS vehicle needs to cross the CCS desert between Augusta and the Canadian Border. I have done it in a RWD ER MME, but it required some creative planning.

Last edited:

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
@dbsb3233 since you’ve made this drive a few times now in your 4X to Las Vegas, how long does it take you two and what’s your typical charging cadence?

Liv

First Name
Liv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1998 RAV4 Art Car
Occupation
BioCAD Engineer
Country flag
@Liv @Mach-E VLOG Any ETA on when your video from the road trip will be uploaded on your channel? Really looking forward to watching it!
Patrick is going to start editing the race to Vegas shortly! We're hoping for next week! Then I think I'll be doing a chill return trip video with our Mach-E Meetup shortly after.

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
Patrick is going to start editing the race to Vegas shortly! We're hoping for next week! Then I think I'll be doing a chill return trip video with our Mach-E Meetup shortly after.
I'll start on it tomorrow. Not to make excuses for us, but we started moving as well as dealing with a flooded finished basement.😭

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
@dbsb3233 since you’ve made this drive a few times now in your 4X to Las Vegas, how long does it take you two and what’s your typical charging cadence?
7 times now, I think. It's a bit long for our tastes to do in one day, so we break it into 1.5 days. Roughly 500 miles the first day (~9 hours) and the remaining 275 miles the next morning (~4 hours). Starting from 100% both days (home and hotel). First day is 3 charge stops, 2nd day just one. An average leg usually ranges from 100-150 miles. Utah speed limit is 80 MPH so mileage drops there, and the legs are a bit shorter. We almost always charge up to 80% at every DCFC though, often arriving between 20-40%. We like the extra safety buffer just in case. Only costs 3-4 minutes of extra time in that part of the charge curve. Elevation difference plays a big part in the range calculations too (there's a number of 4000' differences between stations).

Usually these stops...
  • Home (north of Denver)
  • Edwards, CO (new station just opened, prior to that Frisco)
  • Grand Junction, CO
  • Green River, UT
  • Richfield, UT (hotel)
  • St George (Washinton), UT
  • Las Vegas

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
7 times now, I think. It's a bit long for our tastes to do in one day, so we break it into 1.5 days. Roughly 500 miles the first day (~9 hours) and the remaining 275 miles the next morning (~4 hours). Starting from 100% both days (home and hotel). First day is 3 charge stops, 2nd day just one. An average leg usually ranges from 100-150 miles. Utah speed limit is 80 MPH so mileage drops there, and the legs are a bit shorter. We almost always charge up to 80% at every DCFC though, often arriving between 20-40%. We like the extra safety buffer just in case. Only costs 3-4 minutes of extra time in that part of the charge curve. Elevation difference plays a big part in the range calculations too (there's a number of 4000' differences between stations).

Usually these stops...
  • Home (north of Denver)
  • Edwards, CO (new station just opened, prior to that Frisco)
  • Grand Junction, CO
  • Green River, UT
  • Richfield, UT (hotel)
  • St George (Washinton), UT
  • Las Vegas
And just by comparison, it works out to legs almost exactly half the distance of when we used to take our gas Escape instead. In the Mach-E we average about 130 miles per leg between charge stops (+/- 30). In the Escape it was about 260 (just 2 stops - Grand Junction and Richfield). That's being pretty conservative and leaving around a quarter "tank" as a safety buffer in each. We're not like Kyle, trying plan it to arrive at 3% every leg. That would drive me bonkers (of course I also don't have a support team and a dozen manufacturer contacts on call like he probably does). I want a backup station in range just in case. It's not always possible, but I do usually get the number of "do or die" chargers down below 20%. I research any planned trip route at home first using the EA and Plugshare maps so I know the options along the way. Then I just nav from station to station using Android Auto.

Overall the extra refueling stops/time make it about 2 hours longer than it does when we drove the Escape. But we're retired now and don't mind the extra stops. Would have bugged us more when we were younger (and still working where time was precious and we'd drive straight through in a single day).
Sponsored