Out of Spec: Kyle’s first long trip in the MME

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I wouldn't count on them changing that charging curve...that is not a defect, it was intentionally programmed by Ford that way for some reason.
I haven't seen anything from Ford saying that the DC charging will improve to reduce the time to 80%, the 80% cliff will change, or that P&C will get fixed. However, we do have clues.

Bjorn Nyland said Ford Europe told him there will be software changes to the MME for charging.
Ford told Kyle Connor that they won't give him another tester until the car's software has been updated.
We know Ford is on the forums and they've read that there's a few posts mentioning some things that need worked out.
Sponsored

Ford49

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium
Country flag
On the road trip I took this past weekend, it typically took about 20 minutes to get from 10% to 80% charge using ElectrifyAmerica stations. The chargers I used were in California and Arizona.
That sounds amazing. That is pumping it steady at more than 180.

guyofthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt and MME GT, ICE F-150.
Occupation
airplane driver
Country flag
If some of you also watch EV Dave, just remember he bought the car Kyle tested. Just trying to avoid people jumping to conclusions based on YouTube videos by two well known reviewers on the same physical car.

At first I was thinking EA was totally to blame for the MME's DC charging issues, but I'm wondering now seeing that other cars Kyle has tested on the same chargers charge well (VW ID4).

Could some owners on this forum report back on how the MME charges at EVGo and Chargepoint DC (not L2) chargers?

I know I know, what does a twice Tesla owner care... I'm an EV enthusiast first. I want all the manufacturers to succeed with their EVs. We'll need them all to transform to sustainable transportation.
I have used maybe a half dozen different EA chargers in the midwest, mostly Colorado, and they have worked fine. Once or twice, I've had to call them to reset the unit, but that was over twelve months ago. Sometimes I have to hold the cord up for ten seconds when connecting. But EA is a success, in my limited experience.

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
20 minutes? That doesn't sound right. You sure about that?
when I went SoCal to Houston and back using EA and 350 charges I would go from 12% to 80% in 35 minutes regularly

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That sounds possible. 20 minutes would be an unbelievable time. I'd love to see that in action.
Would seem difficult, not sure how that'll be possible with a cap at ~ 150 kWh. My Tesla charges 10-80% in 22 minutes in warmer weather and that's at 250 kWh initially, and it's a smaller battery pack. I guess the only way is if the 60-80% charge curve remains higher on the Mach-E. The Tesla Model 3 and Model Y tapers off at 60-80%; at 60% around 95 kWh, 70% 70 kWh, 80% 48 kWh.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Would seem difficult, not sure how that'll be possible with a cap at ~ 150 kWh. My Tesla charges 10-80% in 22 minutes in warmer weather and that's at 250 kWh initially, and it's a smaller battery pack. I guess the only way is if the 60-80% charge curve remains higher on the Mach-E. The Tesla Model 3 and Model Y tapers off at 60-80%; at 60% around 95 kWh, 70% 70 kWh, 80% 48 kWh.
20 minutes 10% to 80% is an unbelievable time. I'm very much looking forward to seeing the photos of the EA screen as the Mach-E was wrapping up the charging session.

BradCA

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E, Lexus CT200h
Country flag
No charging curve below 125? We need your software update. You need to take @OutofSpecKyle for a ride.
It did dip below 125 at some stations. And it would briefly go above 150 as well.

It was just one station where I got the fast charge from 10% to 80% in about 20 minutes. I wasn’t watching the charge rate closely at that station because it quickly ramped up to 145-150 and stayed there. I parked at the Cabazon outlet stores near Palm Springs, California and charged at the Electrify America station. I went in to use the bathroom and pretty shortly thereafter I got a message saying that it had reached its fast charge capacity. Which is 80%. And Plug and Charge worked at that station.

Regardless, I was still able to consistently go from maybe 20% or so to 80% in about 15 to 20 minutes at the Electrify America stations. I wonder if it was because I was charging exclusively in California and Arizona? All of the stations I charged up at were pretty new.

BradCA

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
20 minutes? That doesn't sound right. You sure about that?
Actually, correction: I only got that at one station. It was the Electrify America station at the Cabazon outlet mall near Palm Springs, California. I was pretty shocked because I plugged in the charger and went inside the mall and got the alert from FordPass that I had reached my fast charge capacity. It had only been about 20 minutes. This was a newer station and Plug and Charge worked without any issues. I wonder if I had good luck here because of newer hardware/software?

With respect to the rest of the charging, it was really more like 20% to 80% in about 20 minutes.

BradCA

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
20 minutes 10% to 80% is an unbelievable time. I'm very much looking forward to seeing the photos of the EA screen as the Mach-E was wrapping up the charging session.
You know, I wasn’t watching the screen or timing the machine when I got this really fast charge. I plugged in at an outlet mall and went inside to shop. I got a notification from FordPass about 20 minutes later. So I might not be entirely accurate with the timing, but it couldn’t have been more than 25 minutes. This was clearly not a scientific observation. ;-)

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
You know, I wasn’t watching the screen or timing the machine when I got this really fast charge. I plugged in at an outlet mall and went inside to shop. I got a notification from FordPass about 20 minutes later. So I might not be entirely accurate with the timing, but it couldn’t have been more than 25 minutes. This was clearly not a scientific observation. ;-)
The actual "receipt" will be in FordPass with the times and charge %s.

Vehicle -> Manage EV -> Battery Charge Logs, if you're curious.

Rabidsquirrel22

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Camaro SS, 2021 GTPE
Country flag
Call me skeptical of those 20 min times until I see some pictures of a 20-80% session from the FordPass or EA apps.
Sponsored