Ford49

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium
Country flag
Initially I was annoyed with Kyle repeatedly talking about 'charging profile'. I didn't understand why he kept bringing it up.
Now I get it. Just as important as range, is how much time are you going to spend in charging stations. It would be nice to have a standard measure. Ford suggests on their web site that 'number of minutes spent getting from 10% to 80%,' is important. This gives us a 'real world' idea of what to expect, and also a way to compare electric cars that is meaningful.
I understand that not all electric car owners care about fast charging, but for those that do, this number along with range would both give you a reasonable expectation and a means to compare.
Currently my expectation for the Mach E is 45 minutes. That is what it says on the Ford web site. Are people achieving it? I don't know, maybe they are. It would be nice if it were a standard, or at least if one of the reviewers would do a comparison. How does a Model Y do? Kyle, I am suggesting it would be more meaningful to have a standard and compare, than just watch results of random charge attempts.

Secondly, I am with those on the forum that wish Ford did a better job of communicating. The more they communicate, the better it would be. Do they really think we are early adapters and should just suck it up? What is in the OTA update? Do they know about PAAK issues and are working to get them fixed? Do they know about Plug and Charge issues? Are there build issues and delays, or is this business as usual? What do they think about anything really?
Last year they had a series of video calls and took questions. It was great. Now, I am not really hearing much from Ford, just the odd person on here that purports to know what Ford is doing or thinking. It would be nice to have regular communication about Mach E from Ford. I recognize this is not what car companies do, but I think it would really help them build a base of people that love their cars, just like many of us on this forum.
Sponsored

HOFMACHFE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt 2017, Mustang Mach E FE Grabber Blue
Country flag
We are taking delivery of our MME FE in the next week or so. It arrived at the dealership last week with some minor damage under the front lip. We bought a 2017 chevy Bolt and our experience has been excellent overall and when it comes to charging it has been very good. Home charging is the majority with DC fast charging once a month or so when we take longer trips. Our DC fast charging is from about 30 to 45 Kwh so nothing as fast as the MME. Our average range is over 390km In summer and 250km when -10c or lower.

Have we had challenges with DC fast charging? Yes, but in all of our experience it was due to bad service of the charger. Never stranded or stressed. So we have learned to do our research and plan our trip when we need a DC fast charger and choose the reliable ones with good ratings and recent feedback on the charging station. We just a few different charging Apps and plan a route. Then send that trip detail to Android Auto. That works great. I don't need Ford to have as good an integrated navigation and supercharger system when Android Auto combined with a few different charging apps.

We live in Ontario Canada. Our Chevy dealer is within walking distance. The Ford dealer we bought the Mach-E is 20 min drive. We have had excellent service from our car dealers and they try very hard to please their customers. My experience has been positive and that is one of the reasons I chose a Chevy and now Ford over a Tesla. The closest Tesla service center is about 2 hour drive.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Ford's P&C was called garbage on a video with 10k+ views in 24 hours.

If you don't think this is a major perception problem for Ford or understand the detrimental impacts of the negative touch point with the DCFC situation, then kudos to you and your dismissiveness.

So far, Ford has missed the opportunity to acknowledge this is a challenge being worked on by the team. Nor can Ford simply declare that P&C is in beta testing without looking foolish because only amateurs and Tesla do QA in production.
So you REALLY think Ford does not recognize they have an issue and are not working on this?

Or did they just not put out a press release or send you an email to let you know?

FYI . . . A LOT of us wish Ford’s communication was better.

HOFMACHFE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt 2017, Mustang Mach E FE Grabber Blue
Country flag
Initially I was annoyed with Kyle repeatedly talking about 'charging profile'. I didn't understand why he kept bringing it up.
Now I get it. Just as important as range, is how much time are you going to spend in charging stations. It would be nice to have a standard measure. Ford suggests on their web site that 'number of minutes spent getting from 10% to 80%,' is important. This gives us a 'real world' idea of what to expect, and also a way to compare electric cars that is meaningful.
I understand that not all electric car owners care about fast charging, but for those that do, this number along with range would both give you a reasonable expectation and a means to compare.
Currently my expectation for the Mach E is 45 minutes. That is what it says on the Ford web site. Are people achieving it? I don't know, maybe they are. It would be nice if it were a standard, or at least if one of the reviewers would do a comparison. How does a Model Y do? Kyle, I am suggesting it would be more meaningful to have a standard and compare, than just watch results of random charge attempts.

Secondly, I am with those on the forum that wish Ford did a better job of communicating. The more they communicate, the better it would be. Do they really think we are early adapters and should just suck it up? What is in the OTA update? Do they know about PAAK issues and are working to get them fixed? Do they know about Plug and Charge issues? Are there build issues and delays, or is this business as usual? What do they think about anything really? Last year they had a series of video calls and took questions. It was great. Now, I am not really hearing much from Ford, just the odd person on here that purports to know what Ford is doing or thinking. It would be nice to have regular communication about Mach E from Ford. I recognize this is not what car companies do, but I think it would really help them build a base of people that love their cars, just like many of us on this forum.
I appreciate the various reviewers, however at times the feedback provided is very negative and biased from some those that believe Tesla is the benchmark. Yes Tesla has an amazing supercharger Network and that is an advantage. I seek out unbiased information. A few of the top reviewers using science and facts in their testing include;

Edmunds. Take look at their test results on range.

Bjorn Nyland from Norway is a YouTube tester that exclusively reviews BEV's. Also in winter conditions which was ideal for me, being in Canada. He compared Tesla, VW ID4, MME, and many other BEV's on a 1000km challenge where he looks at the total performance and results. Which is the car that takes the least amount of time to go 1000k. MME did very well in the test.
https://youtube.com/user/bjornnyland

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Kyle’s reviews are excellent and he is doing us all a massive benefit by honestly and objectively evaluating the MME. The fact that he comes from the Tesla ecosystem gives him a sound basis to find the MME’s public charging network to be seriously lacking by comparison. If you just want promotional vids doing nothing but pumping sunshine, I can recommend dozens of those to you.

For his next review, I would appreciate Kyle also mentioning the screen buzz.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Kyle’s reviews are excellent and he is doing us all a massive benefit by honestly and objectively evaluating the MME. The fact that he comes from the Tesla ecosystem gives him a sound basis to find the MME’s public charging network to be seriously lacking by comparison. If you just want promotional vids doing nothing but pumping sunshine, I can recommend dozens of those to you.
Absolutely Kyle and many others do a great service, as well as trying their best to be fair. However, they are all human and have triggers that can make an issue take on outsize importance. His annoyance with the car beeping when he left it ON while getting out of it constantly put him in a foul mood. Certainly the sessions stopping with errors would have annoyed me and left me with a sour taste as well. However, when he stopped doing P&C it got better, but that didn't counterbalance his overall impression. It's OK, but as a viewer you you need to recognize that in fact he did make his journey, wasn't stranded, and had a much better experience once he learned the quirks.

It's a brand new platform with brand new software. As a general rule the first release of software has significant issues which get resolved by subsequent releases. That rule applies across all industries and companies. If that fact concerns you, don't be an early adopter.

For his next review, I would appreciate Kyle also mentioning the screen buzz.
If he heard it, he would have mentioned it. Not every car has screen buzz.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
So you REALLY think Ford does not recognize they have an issue and are not working on this?

Or did they just not put out a press release or send you an email to let you know?

FYI . . . A LOT of us wish Ford’s communication was better.
What I really think is that for the Mach-E to have sustained success, it needs to have functioning software that is not, as @AoA called it, "half-baked".

As a Ford shareholder and prospective owner (I have two reservation deposits), I need them to do right by their customers. The Mach-E is a helluva product but the P&C capabilities were apparently oversold. This is a problem and there's no visibility if it's either been recognized or is being addressed by the management team.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
What I really think is that for the Mach-E to have sustained success, it needs to have functioning software that is not, as @AoA called it, "half-baked".

As a Ford shareholder and prospective owner (I have two reservation deposits), I need them to do right by their customers. The Mach-E is a helluva product but the P&C capabilities were apparently oversold. This is a problem and there's no visibility if it's either been recognized or is being addressed by the management team.
100% agree the software isn't where it needs to be. I also agree that all the problems look bad for Ford, and the longer it takes to fix the issues the more it hurts the car and ford's reputation longterm.

However, I think there's a difference between "not working correctly at launch" and "oversold" (as in "never will work"). I am certain Ford has lots of people working on fixing the P&C problem.

garfieldorlando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e
Country flag
Obviously ford is very very cautious and conservative on the charging, after all, the first car from them which is able to take high voltage 400V during charging. The drop after 80% is ridiculous and making this car's range drops 20% instantly. Given how much buffer already reserved, 11KW for ER, I do think one day the curve will be adjusted after they are confident that car won't explode when charging at higher rate over 12KW after 80%, which frankly speaking should already been validated before mass production. (If not, we are doomed as it means there are technical challenges after 80%)

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
100% agree the software isn't where it needs to be. I also agree that all the problems look bad for Ford, and the longer it takes to fix the issues the more it hurts the car and ford's reputation longterm.

However, I think there's a difference between "not working correctly at launch" and "oversold" (as in "never will work"). I am certain Ford has lots of people working on fixing the P&C problem.
Thanks.

I have zero doubt that P&C will get sorted soon (3-6 months). I also have no doubt that Ford knew that P&C was buggy af but released it into production anyways. I'm looking forward to getting past this challenge but clearly there's some distance between the promise and reality.

Moogly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E First Edition Rapid Red
Country flag
Honestly. P&C should not be a big issue. After you are done with the initial 259 kwh is exhausted, why would you want to use P&C? EA app with member+ is the better option in terms of cost. Even Kyle said it. You anyway got to get out of the car to plugin. It's not like P&C does everything automatically. Might as well tap the screen to charge with the app.

None of these issues are earth shattering or safety related. All cars are under warranty and if there is an issue ford has to fix it..

Hint: use the fordpass app to activate EA charger to use credit.

Last edited:

Blinkin

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
16 FoST
Country flag
Honestly. P&C should not be a big issue. After you are done with the initial 259 kwh is exhausted, why would you want to use P&C? EA app with member+ is the better option in terms of cost. Even Kyle said it. You anyway got to get out of the car to plugin. It's not like P&C does everything automatically. Might as well tap the screen to charge with the app.

None of these issues are earth shattering or safety related. All cars are under warranty and if there is an issue ford has to fix it..

Hint: use the fordpass app to activate EA charger to use credit.
As I've said in other discussions of this topic, I've been swiping a credit card to buy gas my whole life. Doing the same for electricity isn't a big deal.
Sponsored