Out of Spec: Kyle’s first long trip in the MME

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
I was charging g the other day in Santa Clarita at EA and when I got my FE I was the only one charging. Now I see two to three cars charging next to me. This time it was a new ID4. We were talking and he told me that VW gave him UNLIMITED FREE CHARGING FOR 3 years. Well I was impressed.
Sponsored

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I was charging g the other day in Santa Clarita at EA and when I got my FE I was the only one charging. Now I see two to three cars charging next to me. This time it was a new ID4. We were talking and he told me that VW gave him UNLIMITED FREE CHARGING FOR 3 years. Well I was impressed.
We’ll, since Volkswagen owns EA they can do that rather easily.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Of course, when you say they "gave" him UNLIMITED FREE CHARGING FOR 3 years, what that means is they built the charging into his price.

blue92lx

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
I think Kyle's point is more that we *can't tell* whether the Ford trip planner looks at elevation changes, because it doesn't give a "route preview" like Tesla's Trip graph does, where it lays out on the screen how the car forecasts your energy will be spent over the leg you're driving. We actually don't know either way, it's possible the elevation was factored in, but not battery temp, or not external temp, or speed, or any of a bunch of variables.

In my experience, there's a lot of trickery going on with the trip planner and range estimator.

I can leave my house at 100% and drive 10-12 miles at 70 MPH before 100% becomes 99%.

Do I have a 1,200 mile range? No. 99% becomes 98% in 2 more miles.

I set off on a 191 mile trip with "201" miles of range, and the car telling me I need to stop to charge. I ignored the car, and drove 5+ over the speed limit over the 191 miles, and arrive at the charger with 46 miles of range remaining.

The car is *extremely* conservative on its estimation in my experience, but I'm not sure if that's intentional or if it's just not accurate.
Agreed. I just rented a SR RWD on Turo. Started with 97% battery with 239 miles showing. I drove it 200 miles and got back with 14% battery and 35 miles showing, with 3.7 miles/kW . I'm pretty sure it would've gotten up to 250 miles since it's showing 3.7 m/kW too. I was also testing the car out, which meant I 'tested' the acceleration probably 10 times by myself and showing it to people, I'd say 150 miles of that was highway too, and still coming in over the 230 miles EPA. I did use Whisper mode while cruising around town and on the highway, maybe that's why my range was good too. I was super impressed with the range.

ABinKC

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang mach-e
Country flag
I had some problems with EA this past weekend. P&C worked fine until I stopped the charge. After pressing the STOP button on the kiosk the charging LEDs on my Mach-e started blinking amber and gave me a "charging station fault" each time. After waiting a couple minutes s the LEDs stopped flashing and I was able to unplug. This only happened with EA. ChargePoint worked flawlessly. Oh and I ran into a couple ID4 owners and learned that EA charging was free for them - All The TIME! Wth Ford....

jrstinkfish

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I had some problems with EA this past weekend. P&C worked fine until I stopped the charge. After pressing the STOP button on the kiosk the charging LEDs on my Mach-e started blinking amber and gave me a "charging station fault" each time. After waiting a couple minutes s the LEDs stopped flashing and I was able to unplug.
Were you not able to press the release button near the MME charging port to get the plug to unlatch? If you did try that and it didn't work, ooof, that would be something if you had to wait for the glitching EA station to release your car!

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I had some problems with EA this past weekend. P&C worked fine until I stopped the charge. After pressing the STOP button on the kiosk the charging LEDs on my Mach-e started blinking amber and gave me a "charging station fault" each time. After waiting a couple minutes s the LEDs stopped flashing and I was able to unplug. This only happened with EA. ChargePoint worked flawlessly. Oh and I ran into a couple ID4 owners and learned that EA charging was free for them - All The TIME! Wth Ford....
You should always stop the charging using the button on the car next to the charging port. That will avoid this problem, it works for me 100% of the time.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Were you not able to press the release button near the MME charging port to get the plug to unlatch? If you did try that and it didn't work, ooof, that would be something if you had to wait for the glitching EA station to release your car!
The lock is controlled by the car, not the charging station.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Out of Spec: Kyle’s first long trip in the MME 1626805437942

vinny2487

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E CA Route 1 (Star White)
Country flag
Why are people surprised ID.4 owners get free charging? That was one of the selling points of the car. And considering that VW owns the charging network, this isn't a shock.