Out of Spec: Should you buy the IONIQ 5 or the Mustang Mach-E?

bristol16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 GTPE, '15 SS
Country flag
I really like the exterior design and the overall aesthetic of the Ioniq5. I could NOT look at that atrocious dashboard / screen setup every day. Absolute deal breaker for me. The charging is a write off...I charge at home 99% of the time and don't care how long it takes and with a GTPE I'm not convinced the Ioniq is more fun to drive lol.

All in all definitely a nice comparison between the two and some interesting takes by the creator. I enjoy watching EV comparos that aren't just Tesla vs. something.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
Funny how much the skinny tires on the Mach E kind of hurt performances. I mean not unexpected I guess!

ElectrifyCLT

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT- Dark Matter Grey
Country flag
Not shocked to read this. He loves smart fast charging curves and dislikes the bouncy ride in the non-GTPE cars.

I just wish they made an ionic5 performance edition and didn't force you to the EV6 for that. I love the look of the ionic5, can't buy in to the front of the EV6. Looks too much like an economy car head on.

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rivian R1T, 23 Tesla MYP
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
The Ioniq 5 is very fun to drive. I'm heavily considering one once the MY23s are released.

SigSauer

First Name
Mark David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Preiumn in DMG, AWD, ER and 1928 Model A Ford
Occupation
Retired Sales Representative
Country flag
Does the Ioniq5 take 8 to 10 months delivery like the Mach E? Does any new car take this amount of time for delivery?

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Does the Ioniq5 take 8 to 10 months delivery like the Mach E? Does any new car take this amount of time for delivery?
No they are on lots now. Often dozens available per dealer too.

I’ve test driven the SE AWD, SEL RWD, and Limited AWD and I would not buy anything but the Limited. The lower trims do not have a 360 camera, no premium audio, no pano roof, and the SE has cloth seats. Funny enough the cloth seats were very comfortable to me but I found the Limited’s ventilated seats a bit painful after a few minutes.

At $56K, the Limited is to close to the Premium AWD ER. However dealer markups are close to $5K sometimes $10K. The Limited trim is very rare and only SEs and SELs exist on dealer lots. I had put deposit on a Limited a few weeks back and that’s how you can secure one.

I was offered the Limited at a reasonable markup but I turned it down (long story) and shifted my deposit for another 1-2 months out. I may skip the Ioniq 5 altogether if I can find a GTPE at a reasonable markup. I figure that’s what I want and not a “luxury sedan” which is what the Hyundai feels like to me.

If you need an EV now and can live with an SE and SEL with fewer features than a Mach-E Premium… it is good choice.

kikibop

First Name
kiki
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mustang Mach-E E4x Space White / '15 Prius
Occupation
Product Design
Country flag
"Much more refined in terms of sportiness" .... wth does this even mean?

Mr. Spec is very gifted at knowing & recalling every vehicle spec but his capacity to express what he is experiencing in a vehicle is very marginal. I seldom learn anything of value from his free-form rambles, the quote above being a prime example.

deadduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No
Country flag
At $56K, the Limited is to close to the Premium AWD ER. However dealer markups are close to $5K sometimes $10K. The Limited trim is very rare and only SEs and SELs exist on dealer lots. I had put deposit on a Limited a few weeks back and that’s how you can secure one.
So, the question is, can you put a deposit, get a written agreement, have it show up in 2 months and not get jacked $10K when it shows? I definitely like both the EV6 and the Ioniq 5. They and the MME's have their own different issues.

Checking the online inventory for Hyundai, there were only 5 Limiteds within 100 miles. Lots of SEL's, SE's and markups though.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
So, the question is, can you put a deposit, get a written agreement, have it show up in 2 months and not get jacked $10K when it shows? I definitely like both the EV6 and the Ioniq 5. They and the MME's have their own different issues.

Checking the online inventory for Hyundai, there were only 5 Limiteds within 100 miles. Lots of SEL's, SE's and markups though.
I pre-agreed to a markup. It's a standard markup across all Ioinq 5 trims at this dealership...but if you don't get it in writing then yes you can be surprised with a $10K markup.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
Not shocked to read this. He loves smart fast charging curves and dislikes the bouncy ride in the non-GTPE cars.

I just wish they made an ionic5 performance edition and didn't force you to the EV6 for that. I love the look of the ionic5, can't buy in to the front of the EV6. Looks too much like an economy car head on.
Just wait a bit there will be a n version as there have been spy shots of various mules out and about, I would imagine the ev6 is being given the sportier version first as a way to help differentiate more between the vehicles rather than starting out with a lot of model overlap.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news...-5-n-spy-shots-rise-of-the-electric-hot-hatch

heisnuts

First Name
Darrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag
I don’t know about the Ioniq5, but when I ordered my Corvette in August, 2020, with the second largest Corvette dealer in the country, it took 9 months to take delivery at MSRP. Today that same order is taking over a year and they get allocated over 160 Corvettes a month. Even they will tell you the market is just crazy right now and it has been since the car came out in late 2019.

Now, if you want to pay $20K to $30K over MSRP, you can find several USED corvettes for sale. Like I said, crazy.

devildog125

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E AWD, '22 Hyundai Tucson SEL AWD
Occupation
Law Enforcement Software Engineer
Country flag
The only problem I see with is that Hyundai only sells EV's in certain states whereas the MME is sold in all states. I don't see them changing this but I could be wrong and its been like this since they started in the EV market. If Hyundai did sell EV's in all states, I would've had an EV a long time ago.
Sponsored