Out of Spec: Should you buy the IONIQ 5 or the Mustang Mach-E?

lawman1108

First Name
Pmac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME, 2015 Ford Exp sport, Audi TT quarto 6sp
Country flag
I actually drove one...it's fast like they all are but it felt like a box the dash is awful and the steering wheel gets in the way of the dash!!! I do like the EV6 from KIA and when they are on the lot to drive I may cancel my order .
Sponsored

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Does the Ioniq5 take 8 to 10 months delivery like the Mach E? Does any new car take this amount of time for delivery?
sounds like maybe, the bigger deal is it's only sold in a handful of states.

Personally, I don't like the looks of the Ioniq 5 but I would consider the KIA EV6.

lawman1108

First Name
Pmac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
sounds like maybe, the bigger deal is it's only sold in a handful of states.

Personally, I don't like the looks of the Ioniq 5 but I would consider the KIA EV6.
I am going to drive the KIA EV6 and if I like it better I'll cancel my Mach E . I cancelled the Tesla for the Ford Lost my deposit too LOL

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I am going to drive the KIA EV6 and if I like it better I'll cancel my Mach E . I cancelled the Tesla for the Ford Lost my deposit too LOL
I have heard it's really nice, it's new so just like the early Mach E's there are bound to be some bugs.

A couple of things to check out is reviews online say the infotainment is a mixed bag and I hear that both the Inoniq 5 and EV6 have an issue charging in the cold. The charging issue is likely to be resolved by future software updates.

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
I have heard it's really nice, it's new so just like the early Mach E's there are bound to be some bugs.

A couple of things to check out is reviews online say the infotainment is a mixed bag and I hear that both the Inoniq 5 and EV6 have an issue charging in the cold. The charging issue is likely to be resolved by future software updates.
The morning that the video above was filmed, the Ioniq 5 did great charging in the cold. It was about 10 degrees when it plugged in and I think 10% state of charge. It started at over 60 kW and as the pack got warmer I saw it hit 111 kW.

I plugged my Mach-E in at 65% SOC just to see what it would pull and I only got 44 kW. I had driven about an hour to the charging station but sat waiting for about 45 minutes before I plugged in.

I know Kyle did another video in the cold and it never got above 63 kW on the Ioniq 5, so I'm not sure what's up with that.

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
The morning that the video above was filmed, the Ioniq 5 did great charging in the cold. It was about 10 degrees when it plugged in and I think 10% state of charge. It started at over 60 kW and as the pack got warmer I saw it hit 111 kW.

I plugged my Mach-E in at 65% SOC just to see what it would pull and I only got 44 kW. I had driven about an hour to the charging station but sat waiting for about 45 minutes before I plugged in.

I know Kyle did another video in the cold and it never got above 63 kW on the Ioniq 5, so I'm not sure what's up with that.
https://insideevs.com/news/565913/hyundai-ioniq5-limited-charging-cold/

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Country flag

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Oh yeah, I saw that. But I was just relaying what I saw first hand from that same car at the same charging station in Loveland.
Got it, just relaying what's being talked about on the EV6 forum. The users have acknowledged this is a known issue. I will try to find the thread and post it.

Based on your results it may just be the fact that the battery is cold. I have seen normal DC fast charging results even down to -10. However, I have only charged after driving the car and usually on the highway.

Last edited:

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Country flag
Got it, just relaying what's being talked about on the EV6 forum. The users have acknowledged this is a known issue. I will try to find the thread and post it.

Based on your results it may just be the fact that the battery is cold. I have seen normal DC fast charging results even down to -10. However, I have only charged after driving the car and usually on the highway.
Yeah, most of us don't fast charge after leaving the car in the cold overnight. I get why these type of tests are done, but it isn't the usual way people use the EV. The same can be said of the 0-100% charges. It's useful to see how long it takes, but 99% of the time no one goes down to 0 and then charges to 100 on a road trip. It makes for good discussion though.

I am appreciative that the Mach-E is getting updated to charge faster past 80%. I didn't need it this past summer but it would have been nice on a couple of legs of our trip.

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
Country flag

The comment I will make to this is what the EA charger is showing is not necessarily the charge rate as I have seen 220+ on my MME, but 0-100 in an hour is fast.

Last edited:

treasy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium RWD SR Mach-E / LR AWD MY
Country flag
Test drove an SEL RWD yesterday. I liked the ride, it was very comfortable. I loved the digital teal exterior color and the dark green/parchment two tone interior. Really comes together beautifully. The interior space is really well done, its absolutely cavernous.

Unfortunately Hyundai has decided to lock almost all of the nice features in the Limited trim, which is only in AWD at the moment and in very very scarce supply.

dealerships have a ton of SEs around me. SEs are a joke at 45k. They're competing with the base ID4 which starts at ~40k.

The SEL is a decent car at 47k but its missing a lot of creature comforts. In every review you only see the Limited model, and that's on purpose. The limited has over the SEL:

rain sensing wipers, ventilated seats, sunroof, power passenger seats, sliding center console, rear window sunshade, v2l, “premium” sound system, AR HUD, seat memory, 360 camera, rear collision detection, blind spot monitor camera, and phone key

Of course you have to step up from 47k MSRP to 56k msrp to get all these features. IMO a 47k car (and even a 45k car) should come with some of these standard, like power passenger seats, sunroof, rain sensing wipers and probably 360 camera. At the very least, most of these should be available as an option.

Instead, hyundai has made them only available in the Limited, and is shipping limiteds in like a 1:20 ratio compared to SE and SEL.

Also my wife said the mustang is much sexier than the ioniq, so there's that...

lawman1108

First Name
Pmac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
LOL I am actually going back to drive one again...might drive the ford again tomorrow

Chris McD

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Impreza, Honda Civic
Country flag
Test drove an SEL RWD yesterday. I liked the ride, it was very comfortable. I loved the digital teal exterior color and the dark green/parchment two tone interior. Really comes together beautifully. The interior space is really well done, its absolutely cavernous.

Unfortunately Hyundai has decided to lock almost all of the nice features in the Limited trim, which is only in AWD at the moment and in very very scarce supply.

dealerships have a ton of SEs around me. SEs are a joke at 45k. They're competing with the base ID4 which starts at ~40k.

The SEL is a decent car at 47k but its missing a lot of creature comforts. In every review you only see the Limited model, and that's on purpose. The limited has over the SEL:

rain sensing wipers, ventilated seats, sunroof, power passenger seats, sliding center console, rear window sunshade, v2l, “premium” sound system, AR HUD, seat memory, 360 camera, rear collision detection, blind spot monitor camera, and phone key

Of course you have to step up from 47k MSRP to 56k msrp to get all these features. IMO a 47k car (and even a 45k car) should come with some of these standard, like power passenger seats, sunroof, rain sensing wipers and probably 360 camera. At the very least, most of these should be available as an option.

Instead, hyundai has made them only available in the Limited, and is shipping limiteds in like a 1:20 ratio compared to SE and SEL.

We have the 2021 Select with tech package in our household and it's already a much fancier car than my wife and I are used to. At around 47k without taxes and fees it should at least be nicer than her old Civic or my Subaru.

It seems like a typical thing for Hyundai to put a lot of the more luxury features in the highest trim despite the high base price. They did that for the Santa Cruz as well.

Toreus

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Premium ER AWD
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Was never in doubt that he was going to recommend the Ionic. He's part of the camp that HATES the non-GT performance Mach E suspension. But you also have to remember where a lot of these large youtube reviewers are coming from, they travel CONSTANTLY to see and drive cars, so that fast charging time difference is HUGLY important to them, and may not be as important to MME owners.

FWIW, I've found in my area (central NC) that EV6s and Ionic 5's are starting to be much easier to find than MMEs. EV6's and Ionic 5's are hitting lots, where as Ford seems to have fully embraced the Tesla custom-made-to-order approach. The nice thing about the former is you'll see more cars on the lots being sold at sticker; Ford's approach makes it easier for dealers to add ADM on un-reserved units because supply is more limited.

Toreus

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Premium ER AWD
Occupation
IT
Country flag

You basically nailed it. If you’re cross shopping Ionic 5 with a Premium MME, then you’re only seriously considering the Limited, and it’s basically impossible to find one. The only one near me right now is in the shooting star matte grey, aka huge liability grey. ?

… And my wife says the same thing, haha.
Sponsored