Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E RWD ER
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
I wanted to build my own EVSE and use a 45 foot J1772 cable, but pieces have been out of stock for months. I finally decided on an external NEMA 14-50 Outlet and use my Ford Mobile Charger with a 50 Amp RV extension cord. I installed it today using parts from Home Depot and it worked out fairly well. I used an outdoor 50 AMP RV outlet, 3/4 inch flexible non-metallic conduit, a push in conduit bushing for the box, three 5/16x3' lag screws, and wire that has two AWG 6 conductors (Line), and two AWG 8 conductors (Neutral and Ground). I already had an existing 50 Ampere 220 breaker to repurpose for the project. I turned off the breaker and checked for no voltage before working on the project.

A trick to drill a hole in vinyl siding is to use the reverse direction on the drill with the spade bit. I used a long spade bit to get through everything. The house does not have a sill and a narrower rim joist, it is a big thick piece of wood on top of the brick foundation. I totally discharged a battery dead when I was about three quarters of the way through. I finished with a backup battery.

I used the recommended three 5/16 inch lag screws and the box is solidly mounted. I wired up the outlet as a full 4 conductor NEMA 14-50, put it together, turned on the breaker, and checked the voltages. It works. Unfortunately the pull tabs on the RV extension cord prevents the lid from closing completely, but I think it will work over the winter.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Outdoor NEMA 14-50 Outlet Install Ext220-1
Ford Mustang Mach-E Outdoor NEMA 14-50 Outlet Install Ext220-2

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I wanted to build my own EVSE and use a 45 foot J1772 cable, but pieces have been out of stock for months. I finally decided on an external NEMA 14-50 Outlet and use my Ford Mobile Charger with a 50 Amp RV extension cord. I installed it today using parts from Home Depot and it worked out fairly well. I used an outdoor 50 AMP RV outlet, 3/4 inch flexible non-metallic conduit, a push in conduit bushing for the box, three 5/16x3' lag screws, and wire that has two AWG 6 conductors (Line), and two AWG 8 conductors (Neutral and Ground). I already had an existing 50 Ampere 220 breaker to repurpose for the project. I turned off the breaker and checked for no voltage before working on the project.

A trick to drill a hole in vinyl siding is to use the reverse direction on the drill with the spade bit. I used a long spade bit to get through everything. The house does not have a sill and a narrower rim joist, it is a big thick piece of wood on top of the brick foundation. I totally discharged a battery dead when I was about three quarters of the way through. I finished with a backup battery.

I used the recommended three 5/16 inch lag screws and the box is solidly mounted. I wired up the outlet as a full 4 conductor NEMA 14-50, put it together, turned on the breaker, and checked the voltages. It works. Unfortunately the pull tabs on the RV extension cord prevents the lid from closing completely, but I think it will work over the winter.
You can trim the pull handles off the plug to get the door to close if you like. That box is the exact same one that I have for my RV 50A receptacle.