Outlet in my garage + (linked) adapter + Ford Mobile Charger = Mach e charging?

cmsva1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infiniti G35
Country flag
I bought this (NEMA 6-20P to 14-50R) adapter from Amazon. Linked here

Think this setup will work for EV charging with Ford Mobile Charger? This outlet is already in my garage.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Outlet in my garage + (linked) adapter + Ford Mobile Charger = Mach e charging? IMG_5123
Sponsored

Fremont Kid

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach e Premium AWD
Occupation
Retired IT
Country flag
No that won't work.

You need to find a 16A 240V charger/EVSE that's compatible with your current circuit, or hire an electrician to put in a new 50A circuit.
Agree. Consider the voltage and amperage. No reason to connect the 14-50 which is designed for 240V - as I understand it - to a 6-20 plug 120V connection. Also, the 240V 50-60A supply will probably quadruple the miles per hour charge to your MME. My 240V 60A circuit. The electrician chose to install a 60A rather than 50A circuit breaker. This charges my MME at between 18-20 miles per hour, but the 120V 15A connection charges at 3 miles per hour.

That said, converting the electrical supply in volts and amps to kilowatt hours then into miles per hour battery charge is highly dependent on the MME's guess-o-meter (GOM) calculator algorithm, which uses driving history. I've calculated a few times without knowing the algorithm formula, learning that the variance does not provide great accuracy.

i8iridium

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
U.S. Air Force
Country flag
Agree. Consider the voltage and amperage. No reason to connect the 14-50 which is designed for 240V - as I understand it - to a 6-20 plug 120V connection. Also, the 240V 50-60A supply will probably quadruple the miles per hour charge to your MME. My 240V 60A circuit. The electrician chose to install a 60A rather than 50A circuit breaker. This charges my MME at between 18-20 miles per hour, but the 120V 15A connection charges at 3 miles per hour.

That said, converting the electrical supply in volts and amps to kilowatt hours then into miles per hour battery charge is highly dependent on the MME's guess-o-meter (GOM) calculator algorithm, which uses driving history. I've calculated a few times without knowing the algorithm formula, learning that the variance does not provide great accuracy.
The NEMA 6-20 pictured is a 240v 20A outlet (if wired correctly). Like posted above, it will trip the breaker using that conversion cable. If you get a Tesla portable EVSE with the appropriate NEMA connector and a tesla tap, you could use that. It'll tell the vehicle to only pull 16A on that outlet. Sometimes portable Tesla EVSEs and the NEMA kit can be found on eBay for a decent price. It's a handy kit for your charging toolbox. I have one that I've used extensively on the road.

Tesla Mobile EVSE
https://www.ebay.com/itm/204334380468

Tesla NEMA Kit
https://www.ebay.com/itm/225570208360

Fremont Kid

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach e Premium AWD
Occupation
Retired IT
Country flag
The NEMA 6-20 pictured is a 240v 20A outlet (if wired correctly). Like posted above, it will trip the breaker using that conversion cable. If you get a Tesla portable EVSE with the appropriate NEMA connector and a tesla tap, you could use that. It'll tell the vehicle to only pull 16A on that outlet. Sometimes portable Tesla EVSEs and the NEMA kit can be found on eBay for a decent price. It's a handy kit for your charging toolbox. I have one that I've used extensively on the road.

Tesla Mobile EVSE
https://www.ebay.com/itm/204334380468

Tesla NEMA Kit
https://www.ebay.com/itm/225570208360
Very good.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag

It’s been 2 years. He either abandoned the idea, or burnt his house down! 😂

OP
OP
cmsva1

cmsva1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infiniti G35
Country flag
Ha, thanks for checking in. All is well. 😂 I hired an electrician to put in the 50Amp circuit. I’ve been using the Ford Mobile Charger (as my home charger) for almost two years now.
Sponsored