Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My friend just brought his new Mach E here a couple of days ago for me to check it out (I don't get mine until next month). I was surprised to hear the fairly loud fake engine noise on the outside of the car when he pulled it into the garage. My neighbor has a brand new Tesla Model Y and it is dead silent when he pulls up. Is there a way to turn off that fake engine sound on the outside of the car? I have looked through the owners manual and cannot find anything.

On another note, the Space White color is amazing in person. Had I actually seen it before I ordered my car, I would have seriously considered it instead of Infinite Blue.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Outside Fake Engine sound IMG_39471900
Sponsored

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
That sound is mandated by regulations, Tesla will be adding a pedestrian alert sound when they get their act together ;) they added the speaker for it a while back.

I found the MME pedestrian alert to be preferable to the one in our MB B, previous Toyota Prius PHEV, or my Pacifica. It might be possible to change the sound in the future (under a proposal.)

Last edited:

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
The fake engine noise is internal to the cabin.

The low speed sound you heard in mandated by regulation and is required below roughly 17 mph to alert pedestrians and bicyclists to the cars due to how quiet they are at low speed. At higher speeds the noise from the tires seems to be enough to get peoples attention.

All electric vehicles are required to have some external warning sound. It’s been on the books for sometime and phased in last year iirc.

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks for all your replies. I have only heard some friend's Tesla's the last few years and was not aware of this new regulation. I am not a big fan of this noise but I understand the reasoning for it.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
The Mach-E's isn't too much different from what the Bolt's sounds like.

Family consensus is that we'd like to be able to put our own sounds on. The vote here being: It should play the theme from Knight Rider for the pedestrian alert sound.

TheCats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Y5Z
Country flag
Newer Teslas do have an external speaker and play.

The Model Y definitely has it, you just might not be noticing it -- it has been described as a "UFO" sound.

On a Tesla it is also possible to play a handful of other pre-programmed sounds, record a sound clip, or play a sound clip from the USB stick. However these don't automatically turn on at low speed as the "UFO" sound does.

The Volt did this long ago, and better, with a "hissing" noise that was noticeable to nearby pedestrians but not obnoxious further away.

While it's fun to have different sounds, it can actually work against safety. And that is supposed to be the reason for the regulation.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Since the MME already makes the pedestrian warning sound when driving at low speeds in Drive or Reverse, do we really need the additional reverse sound that makes it sound like a Mack Truck backing up? I wish we could at least turn that off.
Sponsored