Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I am keeping the key in case I need to have the car serviced. I have three keys (two originals and an F150 Lightning key), so maybe I will get rid of one. Maybe not. 🤷‍♂️🐩
Sponsored

MachEMaster

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 GMC Yukon GT
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer
Country flag
To your exit question.......I never carry the FOB, it hangs on a hook by the front door. PAAK has worked fine for both of us since we got the car. I verified that the backup start code would work. Have not had to use it in the wild
You should hang your FOB in a Faraday Bag to block any signals it emits. The car thieves are tech savvy now.

Tangible

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Waiting for my Mach E
Country flag
I will never do it, because it turns the phone into a single point of failure for too many aspects of life. What I really want is a much smaller fob. All of them are about twice the size they need to be. Having two of them in your pocket gives you that “just glad to see you” look.

By the way, I don’t know why it bothers me, but it’s a fob, not a FOB. It’s a 17th century word from the German for pocket, fuppe or fobke, not an acronym.

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
The service department thank me every time I take the fob in.
Otherwise it’s all paak

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I would still want the key fob for car washes and the valet.
And for the Ford dealership when it’s time for service.

AliRafiee

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT - Grabber Blue
Occupation
Software Eng.
Country flag
I’ve had my car for a year now. I have never carried the key. Starting from day 1.

Sometimes it say key not found, but I open the app and it finds it.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
I am not a techno geek, but have adjusted to just using my PAAK and not carrying the FOB. It is clearly not perfect as I sometimes have to wait a few seconds for it to connect to the car through Bluetooth. I'm sure Ford will eventually get this to work seamlessly.

I have had to use the backup code to start the car once. But between the starting backup code and the door pillar code to get into the car, I am not worried about getting "stranded." Even if I am in an area with no cell service, I will be able to make it work.

I agree with ARK that I would carry the FOB for valets or car washes as I think the Valet mode is too complicated and until this is more commonplace, I don't want to have issues with needing others to drive the car.
It will never be completely seamless, Bluetooth LE just isn’t capable of achieving that unless you have super loose proximity requirement (which does has already loosened). That said, I’ve been solely on paak for almost 30k miles.
Sponsored

Reactions: abr