Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2wd Premium
Country flag
There are tons of threads on PAAK, how about a simple survey,

1) Works all the time, seamless to a fob in your pocket
2) Works sometimes and I'm willing to mess around with it
3) Works sometimes but I won't trust it and is a safety issue if I or my family is locked out
4) Never works
5) Don't use it not interested in the technology
Sponsored

65coupe&21mache

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 c-code Mustang; 21 Premium Extended Range AWD
Country flag
I'd say you are missing: Works almost all of the time, with the occasional delay or need to use back up code.

It has worked well for me, probably more than 90% of the time. Some 8% of the time I had to give it an extra 30 seconds or so to allow me to open the door. And there has been very few instances where I gave up and used the door pin and back up code (and at least one of those times I had failed to realize bluetooth on my phone had been turned off).

I'd pick your second option as the closest for me: "Works sometimes and I'm willing to mess around with it"; but I don't think that's being fair to what's been a mostly positive experience.

OP
OP
JRT

JRT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2wd Premium
Country flag
Agree, poll can't be changed after starting, but 2 is more positive to me.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
I think #2 is pretty accurate. It generally works, but it’s nowhere near as reliable as the fob. And I frequently get “no key detected” and “restart now or key is needed” messages.

The restart message is utterly meaningless. I don’t restart, it makes no difference.

The no key message usually pops up after I start driving and goes away pretty quickly. Just another dumb nuisance.

But I’d say about 10% of the time I do have to actually use my passcode.

OP
OP
JRT

JRT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2wd Premium
Country flag
I'm glad some like it and work with it but still messing around and notices, I've never had a single issue with fob keys across 5 brands and 15 vehicles. Low battery still worked but was not good range and replaced and all was well..

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
My experience is between 1 and 2 leaning more towards 1.

I open that app before approaching the car leaving it so you can see the Home page on the app. Car wakes up and works fine.

I had a glitch where it did not recognize the phone after coming out of a store but it wouldn't let me enter the backup code and then cleared itself and worked fine after that. My wife had 1 instance where it didn't recognize her phone and actually set the alarm off in the driveway. She used the backup code to start, alarm shut off and she drove to the store. When she came out her phone worked just fine.

Those are the only 2 instances where it has not worked for us IF we open the app to the home page and leave it open. If we don't open the app it may not wake up when you approach the car, sometimes it will, but not always

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I voted that I don't use PaaK and not interested. I don't want a vehicle that only I can drive. I share my vehicles. In fact, my daughter has it now. She was leaving the city for a day trip so I told her to stop by my office and pick it up. She is safer in the Mach-E and I didn't really need it today anyway....

Reactions: JRT

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
This would only be the second vehicle I've had with a FOB that stays in the pocket. Most of my prior vehicles have the type of FOB I would need to take out of the pocket to lock or unlock, or even an actual key!

So my experience is somewhere between #1 and #2. Not quite as good as my most recent car where I always left my keys in the pocket but better then me other cars where I always needed to press lock or unlock. So for this survey I pick #1.

OP
OP
JRT

JRT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2wd Premium
Country flag
Great response, I'm surprised most are willing to mess with it to make it work, #2. I can understand the approach of this is better then fishing out a fob to push a button for sure, we have 5 cars in the house all different brands Dodge, Ram, Ford, Nissan, and Hyundai. My wife's Dodge open when she pulls the handle, her fob is usually buried in her purse, the Nissan and Hyundai both can open with a push on a button on the door handles, the Ram has to push the fob unlock button. I do like the Ford and Dodge easy of access with Fob.

Ciero

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4x Premium Edition, Explorer Sport
Country flag
I've only really noticed small delays in opening the door, and that's gotten better recently too. I don't like to stand at my door looking like a doofus trying to get into a new car. I don't intentionally go without the fob, but I've left the house a few times without the fob by mistake and didn't realize it.

taikajim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
EXAWD + KW V3 coilovers
Country flag
As mentioned, needs a ”works 100%, with 90% effortlessly, and 10% you need to think positive thoughts to encourage the Bluetooth connection to wake up.

(iPhone 11 Pro, at least)

But never been locked out of a car, eventho I have managed to lock the phone in my car, which is when you need the PIN.

Oh and I never carry a fob.

OP
OP
JRT

JRT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2wd Premium
Country flag
I agree 100% every time like a fob in my pocket, of course with phone supposedly configured correctly.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
After watching FordPass drain my battery the other day, and getting a 2nd fob, I've uninstalled PAAK on both phones.

Trede

First Name
Trede
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I voted that I don't use PaaK and not interested. I don't want a vehicle that only I can drive. I share my vehicles. In fact, my daughter has it now. She was leaving the city for a day trip so I told her to stop by my office and pick it up. She is safer in the Mach-E and I didn't really need it today anyway....
I have 3 phones set up as keys, each tied to a different profile. When my wife gets in to drive, for example, she likes the seat auto moving back to let you in then forward after you shut the door feature. I don't need it. Different mirror settings, etc...I think it's great. Fob lives in a bag at home and doesn't see the light of day. I think each of us has "had to" use the backup password once or twice, and I know at least one of those was my phone overheating because it was 114F in the shade that day.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
I am the sole driver of the Smurfmobile, so I don’t need to use a second key. I have set up my phone to use, but until paak is 100% as reliable as a key fob, I will continue to use my key fob. I don’t want to have to stand outside my car for an extra 7 seconds if it’s pouring rain, and I don’t feel like getting stranded if the car can’t talk to the mothership to make sure my phone is authorized.

For all the “mine works great! I just open the app while I’m walking to the car.” people, that’s not an acceptable option (to me). I don’t need to take my fob out for it to work. That’s the experience Ford promised when they only gave us 1 fob. That’s the experience I want.
Sponsored