PAAK is finally working as promised.

Rumline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4x
Country flag
So far PaaK had been great since the update. The thing that I forgot about is how much of a battery hog the Fordpass app is :oops:.
Only 18%? My phone showed 45% battery usage for Ford Pass last night. I should have taken a screenshot.

My PAAK has been working fine since getting the car this weekend, prior to the app update. Knock on wood. Since the update I haven't noticed anything different in PAAK functionality, but the battery drain from the app is worse IMO.
Sponsored

Eraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD | SR
Country flag
Only 18%? My phone showed 45% battery usage for Ford Pass last night. I should have taken a screenshot.

My PAAK has been working fine since getting the car this weekend, prior to the app update. Knock on wood. Since the update I haven't noticed anything different in PAAK functionality, but the battery drain from the app is worse IMO.
I stopped using PaaK about a month ago so I forgot how bad it was with battery use. Between this app and Android Auto I don't know if I can make it through a normal day without a mid-day charge. It wouldn't be so bad if the MME wireless charger would actually charge my phone instead of just slowing the discharge rate. I could plug it in too, but who's got time for that nonsense. Ah well, first world problems ;).

Rumline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4x
Country flag
When you stopped using PaaK did you leave the FordPass app installed / enabled?

From my prior '18 Expedition (sans PaaK functionality) I remember Ford Pass always being sort of a battery hog but this is some next-level stuff.

Astraea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MMe Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Do you guys always have your phones trying to connect to the car in your homes? This is the biggest reason I got rid of it because I kept getting notifications that my phone was trying to connect near constantly no matter where I am in the house. If this has happened to anyone and you solved this issue, how? I would really like to use PaaK but this is horribly annoying and worrying if the car is constantly unlocking and honking at me. ☹

Eraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
When you stopped using PaaK did you leave the FordPass app installed / enabled?

From my prior '18 Expedition (sans PaaK functionality) I remember Ford Pass always being sort of a battery hog but this is some next-level stuff.
I kept the app on my phone, but I reset the app to defaults, then logged back into the app. That is the equivalent to an iPhone user uninstalling and reinstalling the app. After doing that the app uses little to no battery at all. Its the background service for PaaK that is killing the battery. It seems like when it isn't connected to your car it is constantly trying to make that connection, killing your phone battery in the process.

My plan is after a week of testing the new version of the app I want to re-enable battery optimization in Android. Hopefully that will significantly improve battery life and not negatively impact the app.

Luke

First Name
Luciano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e, Taurus
Occupation
Computer Engineer
Country flag
I see recall notice on my Ford pass app to book appointment to update paak software.

Anyone else see it?
It might be related to the SSM49730. I asked the dealer to apply it my MME a few weeks ago. Before that PaaK would work less than 50% of the time. After the update PaaK failed to detect the key once.

Eraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Do you guys always have your phones trying to connect to the car in your homes? This is the biggest reason I got rid of it because I kept getting notifications that my phone was trying to connect near constantly no matter where I am in the house. If this has happened to anyone and you solved this issue, how? I would really like to use PaaK but this is horribly annoying and worrying if the car is constantly unlocking and honking at me. ☹
Depending on where I am in the house it will connect and disconnect on the regular. I don't know if you're on Android or iPhone. On Android I can keep the persistent notification that the service is running in the background, but silence the notifications so I never know if the app connects/disconnects unless I choose to look. Additionally you shouldn't get the "honk" sound when the app connects and disconnects, it should only do that if you open the close the door, then walk away. Subsequent connections won't trigger the car to honk.

If you're on an iPhone someone else will need to chime in.

Astraea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MMe Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Depending on where I am in the house it will connect and disconnect on the regular. I don't know if you're on Android or iPhone. On Android I can keep the persistent notification that the service is running in the background, but silence the notifications so I never know if the app connects/disconnects unless I choose to look. Additionally you shouldn't get the "honk" sound when the app connects and disconnects, it should only do that if you open the close the door, then walk away. Subsequent connections won't trigger the car to honk.

If you're on an iPhone someone else will need to chime in.
I'm on android with a Samsung S21+, is the constant attempts to connect to the car going to drain my battery?

Eraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm on android with a Samsung S21+, is the constant attempts to connect to the car going to drain my battery?
Quick answer, probably so.

I've only been using PaaK again for about 24 hours. In my previous experience the bulk of my battery drain occurs when the phone is trying to connect. When I'm at work and no where even near my car it drains like crazy. At home the phone is going between connected and disconnected depending on what part of the house I'm at. That will drain the battery as well, but not nearly as much as being completely cut off from your car. I recommend keeping an eye on it when you're home for a day to get a rough idea of the hit to your battery.

Njia

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Escape Hybrid, Mach-E Prem/AWD/Standard Battery
Country flag
Yeah. Limited sample but I just made a trip to the store and back, and it's the first time in my 1st 3.5 weeks of my MME and PaaK that my phone never left my pocket for that same trip!
Wait for it. The “new and improved” PaaK damn near left me stranded a week ago. My phone and car wouldn’t talk to each other and I couldn’t remember my passcode.

iam-s-Hon

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 MME Premium AWD ER Iconic Silver
Country flag
Wait for it. The “new and improved” PaaK damn near left me stranded a week ago. My phone and car wouldn’t talk to each other and I couldn’t remember my passcode.
I almost froze on that one the first time. Luckily (or not?) I hadn't had the car too long and wasn't to hard to remember. A memorable passcode is helpful, and a secure password keeper on the phone is a backup.

Eraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
By the end of my day here is the damage the Fordpass app did to my battery :eek:. Although it has been working a lot better than before the battery usage is absurd. If things keep up like this I may need to put PaaK back on the bench.

Screenshot_20210615-231657.png

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
on iphone after this update, Ford Pass went from 8% battery use to 11%. Still not as bad as I would have thought with all the background checking enabled.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Same here, got recall notification today. If the new version of FordPass fixes the issue why do we need to visit the dealership?
fsa 21b36 require some software to be uploaded via ODB port.... so has to go to dealship service. takes about an hour, and you DO have to bring your KeyFob with you for Service to turn vehicle on/off several times during the process.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
By the end of my day here is the damage the Fordpass app did to my battery :eek:. Although it has been working a lot better than before the battery usage is absurd. If things keep up like this I may need to put PaaK back on the bench.
don't turn on the battery saver functions in the app.... that may cause communication disconnects and delays.

I have found it more effective to do a 'force stop' on the app if I know I am going to NOT drive for a couple hours, and then re-start the app as I approach and leave it up and running just when I'm driving.
Sponsored