PAAK not working

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Sienna, '22 Mach-E Premium ER AWD (PWRPONY)
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag
PAAK worked wonderfully for the first 3 weeks I had the car, now I got a new iPhone and it's been unreliable at best. I deleted my old paak and added the new one, the process went smoothly. Now this morning I'm standing right next to the car and pushing the open button does nothing. Fordpass shows Bluetooth connected. I can push the unlock button in fordpass and the doors unlock. But standing next to the car and pushing the open button does nothing. Embarrassing and infuriating. I can envision trying to get into the car in a pouring down rain... Anyone have tips or tricks to get it working again?
Sponsored

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Carry a Fob and you will have no more problems. 100% reliability.

OP
OP
Lord Polymath

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag
We've been waiting all year for a fix.
Wow, so it's common for FordPass to be connected to the car via Bluetooth but pushing the door button doesn't work? I expect better, @Ford Motor Company
Very embarrassing to try and show someone my brand new Mach-E and can't open the door.

imstriker

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 Infinite Blue
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
Yes, it's common. I've been all PaaK since day 1. It has gotten a lot better, but it is still far from flawless. It can say connected and just ignore anything. Thankfully that is a lot less often then it used to be.

Be aware that FordPass does seem to have some type of rain algorithm. Whenever it is raining I find the chances of it not working increase 50%. Don't trust, just pull out the app and unlock before you walk to the car.

As an IT person, I have to say it... Reboot your phone if you have not already.

OP
OP
Lord Polymath

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag
Yes, it's common. I've been all PaaK since day 1. It has gotten a lot better, but it is still far from flawless. It can say connected and just ignore anything. Thankfully that is a lot less often then it used to be.

Be aware that FordPass does seem to have some type of rain algorithm. Whenever it is raining I find the chances of it not working increase 50%. Don't trust, just pull out the app and unlock before you walk to the car.

It's crazy that paak worked pretty much flawlessly the 3+ weeks after I got it, but now decides to act up. It's either an OTA or the fact that I got a new phone or both. I love not carrying a fob.
LOL at your rain comment. That makes me realize that it hasn't rained here in over a month... I'm an IT person too - I unlocked the door with fordpass, and when I pressed the start button it said "full accessory mode" but I swear I had my foot on the brake pedal. Tried again and it started, did not get the "no key detected" message. I let it run for a bit and then turned it off and paak is working again. /shrug
I know programming is complicated, I have a degree in computer science. However, Ford needs to throw some money at better programmers.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Interesting. Didn't FordPass just update?

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
When you set up PaaK anew did you first reset the old profile in the car, not just on the phone, but in the car?

If you didn't my guess would be the new phone is the root cause. That's a common problem with Bluetooth (what Paak uses) when switching phones.

It's also possible to be the firmware on one of the PaaK modules. If you send me your VIN I can check if there's updates on the RFA or other modules related to PaaK, but my suspicion is the new phone.

Last edited:

zpel

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Occupation
Dir, Data Engineering
Country flag

I hear my wife saying "but why do I need to restart my phone? I did that like 3 months ago" 😂😂

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
PAAK worked wonderfully for the first 3 weeks I had the car, now I got a new iPhone and it's been unreliable at best. I deleted my old paak and added the new one, the process went smoothly. Now this morning I'm standing right next to the car and pushing the open button does nothing. Fordpass shows Bluetooth connected. I can push the unlock button in fordpass and the doors unlock. But standing next to the car and pushing the open button does nothing. Embarrassing and infuriating. I can envision trying to get into the car in a pouring down rain... Anyone have tips or tricks to get it working again?
I've had some issues since getting iOS 16. PaaK has been spotty. My fix is to swipe up to force close FordPass and then open it back up again.

Before you close FP it shows Connected. When you re-open it says Disconnected. I think FP just gets locked up or does not update the status, but closing and re-opening the app makes it try to re-connect.

Last edited:

Dave-O

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Odyssey
Occupation
Fuel hauler
Country flag
I’m with you on this. The FordPass app is just as unreliable as windows ‘95

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag

Force close and re-open the app solves a lot of sins.

terry_mach_e

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4X | Rapid Red
Country flag
When you set up PaaK anew did you first reset the old profile in the car, not just on the phone, but in the car?
This involves just hitting 'Remove phone' from the old profile and adding it again, or is there more to it?

I have the same problem: my old phone had a pretty reliable PaaK performance, but the new phone's PaaK is kaput. I did the above, but it didn't help.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
This involves just hitting 'Remove phone' from the old profile and adding it again, or is there more to it?

I have the same problem: my old phone had a pretty reliable PaaK performance, but the new phone's PaaK is kaput. I did the above, but it didn't help.
No, you need to reset PaaK in the car completely. To do so:

Settings -> General -> Reset -> Fordpass Connect Reset -> Phone as a Key Reset

ONLY RESET PAAK IF YOU HAVE A KEY FOB WITH YOU!!!!

Last edited:

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Force close and re-open the app solves a lot of sins.
I wonder if this is true. I’m going to start force closing and restarting FordPass every morning just to test if that materially improves PAAK performance.

PAAK did seem to have gotten more reliable when it comes to starting the car, but most recently the performance seems to be deteriorating again.

PAAK waking up the car to unlock the doors has always and continues to be unacceptably flakey.
Sponsored