PaaK notification always trying to connect

Finkerton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME FE
Country flag
On my phone (Pixel 4) and my wife's phone (Pixel 3) there is always a notification saying "Phone as a Key trying to connect to your vehicle". It never actually says it's connected, and never goes away. Do other people see this behavior? Any idea how to fix it?
Sponsored

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
On my phone (Pixel 4) and my wife's phone (Pixel 3) there is always a notification saying "Phone as a Key trying to connect to your vehicle". It never actually says it's connected, and never goes away. Do other people see this behavior? Any idea how to fix it?
Only way I found was to quit the FordPass app. But of course that then renders PaaK unfunctional. Which is fine by me since I have gone back to using the fob and am much happier with the car again.

Screenshot_20210313-095925_FordPass.jpg

wings2063

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
EV6 GT-Line /Mache Premium 4x
Occupation
Retired
I had that also, so I deleted phone that was listed as having a key from the key list, then I deleted the phone from the bluetooth connected list of phones in the car and forgot the original connection listed in the phone for the Mach E. Next was to select the setup key in the Pass app, that will setup a separate bluetooth connection on the phone that is used for the key. Next I setup the regular bluetooth for the phone to make calls. After that when you are at the car you will have 2 bluetooth connections to the car the key connection will show on your bluetooth list as "####abc" with # being the last 4 of your vin, the other connection will be the phone "Mustang Mach-e".

Hope this helps

OP
OP

Finkerton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME FE
Country flag
I had that also, so I deleted phone that was listed as having a key from the key list, then I deleted the phone from the bluetooth connected list of phones in the car and forgot the original connection listed in the phone for the Mach E. Next was to select the setup key in the Pass app, that will setup a separate bluetooth connection on the phone that is used for the key. Next I setup the regular bluetooth for the phone to make calls. After that when you are at the car you will have 2 bluetooth connections to the car the key connection will show on your bluetooth list as "####abc" with # being the last 4 of your vin, the other connection will be the phone "Mustang Mach-e".

Hope this helps
Sadly it didn't work. I followed your steps, I have the two bluetooth connections, but still getting the notification.

Two questions:
- What phone/OS version?
- Is your ME connected to your home WiFi?

wings2063

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
EV6 GT-Line /Mache Premium 4x
Occupation
Retired
Sadly it didn't work. I followed your steps, I have the two bluetooth connections, but still getting the notification.

Two questions:
- What phone/OS version?
- Is your ME connected to your home WiFi?
Android 10 phone. The MME is connected to home wifi. I am leaning toward an app software issue, my car will not unlock when I walk up to it, even though the parking lights turn on and the key notification shows connected. I have to use entry code and backup code to start the car. Once I park and shutoff the car and walk away it does lock automatically, so I know some functions are working.

OP
OP

Finkerton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME FE
Country flag
Android 10 phone. The MME is connected to home wifi. I am leaning toward an app software issue, my car will not unlock when I walk up to it, even though the parking lights turn on and the key notification shows connected. I have to use entry code and backup code to start the car. Once I park and shutoff the car and walk away it does lock automatically, so I know some functions are working.
Interesting. I can't get it connected to my home wifi (seems like a common problem with people that have Ubiquiti wifi gear) but I'd wondered if it used that in some way to keep connected.

It does seem to work for unlocking, although sometimes I've had lag, like, it doesn't work, so I pull out and unlock my phone, and try again, and it works. That actually seems reasonable -- if your phone is your key, requiring it to be unlocked makes it far more secure. So if that's how it works and it's on purpose I'm totally fine with that, although it's a bit removed from the "just keep your phone in your pocket and walk up" message one might get from marketing.

Thinking about it more however, if you look at the notification the title of it is "Paak foreground service". That suggests it's a persistent notification so that it's always available to handle unlock requests -- not unlike other persistent notifications for similar always-available purposes. In turn that could mean that it's meant to always be there and required to be there -- and that your troubles unlocking are because it isn't always there(!)

CarboFE

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E FE Carbonized Grey
Country flag
Interesting. I can't get it connected to my home wifi (seems like a common problem with people that have Ubiquiti wifi gear) but I'd wondered if it used that in some way to keep connected.
I'm having the same wi-fi issues with Ubiquiti. Have you contacted Ford directly yet? Any sense as to what is causing the problem? I'm trying to get connected to the FordPass Charging Network before escalating the wi-fi issue.

OP
OP

Finkerton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME FE
Country flag

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Just got my car today. I have this same issue. The app is definitely a bit clunky... My plan is to just disable this notification in Android.
It seems like a bug. The "Cancel" shortcut in the notification does nothing.

GrumblesTheDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GB FE
Country flag
Thinking about it more however, if you look at the notification the title of it is "Paak foreground service". That suggests it's a persistent notification so that it's always available to handle unlock requests -- not unlike other persistent notifications for similar always-available purposes. In turn that could mean that it's meant to always be there and required to be there -- and that your troubles unlocking are because it isn't always there(!)
I was just wondering about this. I get the same persistent notification on a Pixel 3a, Android 11. Even though that notification almost never goes away, PaaK is actually quite reliable for me. Occasional lag, but it's always opened on demand.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
I was just wondering about this. I get the same persistent notification on a Pixel 3a, Android 11. Even though that notification almost never goes away, PaaK is actually quite reliable for me. Occasional lag, but it's always opened on demand.
For those of us on Android (faithful old Pixel 2 XL here), this is the solution you need for this annoying notification, unless you care about seeing whether it's actively connecting or not:

Ford Mustang Mach-E PaaK notification always trying to connect Screenshot_20210325-223104

WPJoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX
Country flag
It works for me but I am getting a lot of battery drain from the app which I think is linked to this message/issue of constantly trying to connect.
Anyone resolve it?
Sponsored