Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME FE, 2019 Q5, 2006 999, 2012 Diavel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Recently I took a trip 50 miles from home. Before leaving, I placed my (ONLY) key on the workbench in my garage. When we arrived at my destination (an art show in Vero Beach) I discovered that I didn’t have the key. Luckily my telephone (PAAK) was still functioning. Unfortunately the battery was almost depleted. We were very concerned that it would work all the way home. It did work and we made it home. Immediately after that it stopped working as a key. System said that was working but when I pressed the start button, I got a message that no key was present.

I went to the dealership the following day. The sales rep was busy with a prospective buyer. I do understand as I showed up unannounced and he had others to help as well. We waited for some time and then left to return another day.

Today, I spent 2 1/2 hours at the dealership trying to reset the system, FordPass and the phone. It took all of that time to get it fixed. Meanwhile my wife was waiting inside to hopefully get her phone set up. The salesman had other customers and could not spend any more time on it at the moment. Upon leaving the dealer, I got a notice saying I should set up the emergency start number. Seeing that I could stop in the driveway, I figured I would take a second and do it. When I said ok, it indicated the function could not be performed except in Park. A banner appeared saying “Function Aborted”. The display locked the screen and would not allow any other task and would not clear. It stayed locked for some time and would not clear even though I shut the ignition off. When this happens, nothing on the panel works. Not radio, navigation or anything else.

I previously had this same locked display “Aborted Function” happen while en route to an unfamiliar location. I stopped and tried to clear it. I called Ford Guide. First time they could not help. They tried to hand me off to tech assistance. I was disconnected. Next call, I waited several minutes, explained the problem and then was disconnected. When I called back, I was informed that Tech support was closed, call back tomorrow. I didnt know how to clear screen. If you shut car off and let it sit, it will eventually clear.

I went home and tried to set it up myself. I tried several times. System said it was done. When I got in the car, it said “no key present”.

I then called Ford Customer Service and unloaded on the attendant. She was very courteous and listened to my concerns. Not sure if it will do any good. I suggest that we continue to complain until they fix it.

Ford YOU NEED TO BE MONITORING THESE POSTINGS AND PAYING ATTENTION. It’s not going to get better without action.

Sorry for any errors or omissions!
Sponsored

AzCoronaDog

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Porsche 911 Cabriolet, '21 MME, '17 Yukon XL
Country flag
I just had the same thing happen with trying to setup the backup password. I had set one up with my phone, but it asked again for my wife's phone. We purchased the car yesterday.
She was going to drive it for the first time, so I was in the passenger seat. When it strongly suggested we set up a backup password, I pressed the button to do it.
Then she put the car in reverse, and I got the pop up message "Process Aborted Vehicle must remain in RUN and Park. Please try again later."
This message has no way to clear it. And as the OP mentioned, it locks out almost every other button on the screen. We aborted (no pun intended) her test drive early because we could not test the different drive modes or one pedal or the nav system or the radio.
THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!!!
I am a computer programmer, and if our software had a bug this huge that made it past QA and into the wild we would all be fired! I was going to call Ford tech support, but they are closed.
This is a MAJOR malfunction, and Ford will be getting an earful when they are open tomorrow. Hopefully it will clear itself after sitting for awhile as the OP mentioned.

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
On the steering wheel try holding the Track Next and OK at the same time. SYNC will reset if you hold them for about 10 seconds. Hopefully that will help you out.

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
I don’t have enough trust in PAAK yet to leave the house without the key FOB! Ask your dealer to provide a 2nd FOB!

AzCoronaDog

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
On the steering wheel try holding the Track Next and OK at the same time. SYNC will reset if you hold them for about 10 seconds. Hopefully that will help you out.
Thanks for that info, I will write that in the paper manual for future reference!

We came home, plugged it in and I left it alone for about 20 minutes. When I checked it again, the message was gone and everything was back to normal.
It is like some knucklehead programmer forgot to put an "OK" button on the pop up box.

AzCoronaDog

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don’t have enough trust in PAAK yet to leave the house without the key FOB! Ask your dealer to provide a 2nd FOB!
First thing I tried when we got home was using the fob instead of the phone. No go.
As I just posted, it 'fixed itself' after leaving it alone for about 20 minutes.

I previously tested going to the locked car with no phone or fob, and the door pad and the backup password stuff worked just fine. I will have my wife keep the fob with her, but I wanted to be sure the backup plan was functional.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
You can always put a keyfob in a faraday bag if you want to try PAAK for awhile. I’d not leave it in the car unless you have your factory or personal codes memorized.

AzCoronaDog

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You can always put a keyfob in a faraday bag if you want to try PAAK for awhile. I’d not leave it in the car unless you have your factory or personal codes memorized.
I think PAAK is working well enough, and I did test the backup codes for unlocking and starting, so I am not too worried. But I did make the wife take the fob with her today just in case...

The error message that locked everything up with no way to quickly cancel was just hyper annoying to me because I write code for a living and find this kind of bug completely unacceptable. The fact that it happened on the first full day of owning the car just added insult to injury!

Thank goodness I have been reading about all the quirks on here so I was not totally shocked, and I calmed down a lot once it cleared itself (and I had a couple of cocktails...) I would still beat the coder responsible for this with a big stick if given the chance though. LOL

The wife made it to work just fine this morning and really liked the way it drives compared to our ginormous Yukon XL she had been driving. With any luck Mr. Ed will behave himself going forward, or at least have the courtesy to malfunction when tech support is open.