Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I finally decided to do this. I've never done PPF or ceramic coatings on my cars before, but I really want to keep this car looking brand new.

I had 2 shops give me quotes for XPEL. I decided to go with the little more expensive one just because they've been around for years and seem to do great work. The only downside is they are booked a month out. So I'm scheduled to bring it in at the end of April. The shop basically gave me the ceramic coating "free" to match the quote at the cheaper shop. The cheaper shop also only used the 4yr coating from XPEL.

Here is my price breakdown:
XPEL Ultimate Plus 10 - $2810
(Front bumper, headlights, hood, fenders, A, B, C, D Pillars, rocker panels, side mirrors)

GTechniq Crystal Serum Ultra 9yr - $0
(Coating Entire Vehicle, including PPF)

GTechniq G1 Clear Vision Glass Coating - $254
(Coating all glass, Including roof)
Wow! That's 1/2 what I'm paying and I'm doing SunTek to save money over Xpel!
Sponsored

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
Wow! That's 1/2 what I'm paying and I'm doing SunTek to save money over Xpel!

Mark, I see Ford also offers a Paint Protection Package when you buy the MMe new, $586.50. Any idea how this works? I can't seem to find any details.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
I’m considering doing a clear bra. My car still has the three holes from when I removed the front plate bracket. Can the installer simply wrap over those holes or do they need to be plugged / filled?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Mark, I see Ford also offers a Paint Protection Package when you buy the MMe new, $586.50. Any idea how this works? I can't seem to find any details.
It’s a relatively thin film. Some protection but not much.

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
I’m considering doing a clear bra. My car still has the three holes from when I removed the front plate bracket. Can the installer simply wrap over those holes or do they need to be plugged / filled?
I'd leave them as is and plug them in later. I had PPF installed and kept the plugs out, and the worked around the holes.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
I found a guy who will apply an IGL Quartz Plus “10 Year” finish (multiple coats) to the entire car for $850. Process takes 24 hours but he devotes his entire day to just my car. He doesn’t do PPF.

I’ve gotten a couple bids to apply a LLumar partial front PPF for around $1,000. And my first guy said he could take a little off his price for the ceramic if do the PPF first because he wouldn’t have as much to prep.

I’m struggling with the price and the line on the hood. The bids are nearly double to do a full hood.

Would I be dumb to set my budget at $1,000 and only do one: ceramic or PPF? And would I be dumb to choose the ceramic over the PPF? I know the ceramic provides very little protection against chips and scratches, and once I apply it it will be a lot harder to go back and add a clear bra, but the money for both is daunting and I really like the idea of it being super easy to wash my car! The guy claims this ceramic will make it as simple as spraying the car off with a hose - no soap, sponges, or even drying.

Thoughts?

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
If I could do both PPF and ceramic I would. But I'd also go for a full front rather than a partial. But that's me. Be careful that whatever PPF is used can have a ceramic coating put over it, not all can.

capt_jak_harkness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium
Country flag
So, I had full front PPF applied, which included the side mirrors. Obviously they couldn't cover the whole thing, so there is a seam, but when the mirror is extended it's in the back and you don't see it.

In the attached pic, the line on the right is the PPF seam. My question to everyone is what is the line on the left? Is this a seam in the mirror? Or did they scrape into the car when they cut the PPF?

Does anyone else's mirror have this visible line?

20210403_141000.jpg

bruceski88

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I found a guy who will apply an IGL Quartz Plus “10 Year” finish (multiple coats) to the entire car for $850. Process takes 24 hours but he devotes his entire day to just my car. He doesn’t do PPF.

I’ve gotten a couple bids to apply a LLumar partial front PPF for around $1,000. And my first guy said he could take a little off his price for the ceramic if do the PPF first because he wouldn’t have as much to prep.

I’m struggling with the price and the line on the hood. The bids are nearly double to do a full hood.

Would I be dumb to set my budget at $1,000 and only do one: ceramic or PPF? And would I be dumb to choose the ceramic over the PPF? I know the ceramic provides very little protection against chips and scratches, and once I apply it it will be a lot harder to go back and add a clear bra, but the money for both is daunting and I really like the idea of it being super easy to wash my car! The guy claims this ceramic will make it as simple as spraying the car off with a hose - no soap, sponges, or even drying.

Thoughts?
Both Meguires and surprise Turtle wax have hood reviews on their hybrid ceramic coatings at under $20 a bottle. Good for about a year. Spend your money on PPF and elbow grease on the rest.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
So, I had full front PPF applied, which included the side mirrors. Obviously they couldn't cover the whole thing, so there is a seam, but when the mirror is extended it's in the back and you don't see it.

In the attached pic, the line on the right is the PPF seam. My question to everyone is what is the line on the left? Is this a seam in the mirror? Or did they scrape into the car when they cut the PPF?

Does anyone else's mirror have this visible line?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Paint Protection Film (PPF) such as XPEL for Mach-E 20210403_141000
We all have the line, the mirrors appears to be two molded parts.

capt_jak_harkness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium
Country flag
We all have the line, the mirrors appears to be two molded parts.
Thank you!! I thought I was going crazy!

This was the only "issue" I had with my PPF install. Otherwise you can't tell there is even anything on the car!!

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Thank you!! I thought I was going crazy!

This was the only "issue" I had with my PPF install. Otherwise you can't tell there is even anything on the car!!
Sounds like a quality job, how much of the MME did you get done and what did it cost?

capt_jak_harkness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium
Country flag
Sounds like a quality job, how much of the MME did you get done and what did it cost?
So far it's been a very good job. One of the mirrors did peel a little at the seam, but they're going to fix it when I can get in next week.

Full front, so: full hood, fenders, rear view mirrors, all in Xpel 8. Full front bumper in Xpel 10. Cost $2300.

I decided against a pillars because it was more expensive and there would've been a visible line.

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
Got mine done Saturday with SunTek's new Reaction film, looks pretty good- if anything the hood looks even more glossy now than before. I haven't taken any pics after, but here is one in process. Had full hood done, partial fenders, mirrors, full bumper (including the black gloss parts), black door pillars, door edges, headlights, and rear trunk lid. I have some additional pieces of film for use later. If it weren't so expensive I would have covered all the black plastic on the car.

The film pretty much conceals the pits, defects obtained from the long QA in KC, and blemishes left from the front plate bracket. Still waffling on replacing it, using the plugs, or fabricating a low profile bracket myself.

So happy to finally get it out on the freeway, first time over 50 mph after the install.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Paint Protection Film (PPF) such as XPEL for Mach-E IMG_6212

Last edited:

jsteach

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME S/W EB AWD ,2017 Honda accord touring v-6
Occupation
Retired. 40 year automotive/ service
Country flag
I just got a price for Xpel ultimate full front in So. Cal for $1700.00 with some paint correction included. They are a Opti coat dealer, Not the best ceramic coating.
Sponsored