Paint Protection Film (PPF) such as XPEL for Mach-E

mdolan92869

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e (Had '83 GT, '89 GT Ragtop, '13 GT)
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
Thanks for the info. Whom in the OC did you get your quote for the full front wrap from, and do you know whether they're using XPEL or 3M? I'm in Huntington Beach and want to get this done when my MME is delivered in early Apr.
I got a quote from Ultimate Shield (https://www.ultimateshield.com/) in Orange, pretty much matched their website price. The only problem is the backlog, I don’t have an appointment to take mine in until April 12th :( But he did say that they’d just done a Mach-e, so I won’t be a guinea pig. What got my trust is him telling me I don’t want the windshield film, it costs more than a replacement windshield and is not for me. Saved me > $500
Sponsored

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I got a quote from Ultimate Shield (https://www.ultimateshield.com/) in Orange, pretty much matched their website price. The only problem is the backlog, I don’t have an appointment to take mine in until April 12th :( But he did say that they’d just done a Mach-e, so I won’t be a guinea pig. What got my trust is him telling me I don’t want the windshield film, it costs more than a replacement windshield and is not for me. Saved me > $500
A new Windshield is about $1200 I’m told, but it’s more about stopping the rock chips or pitting that happens over time. However it’s about $700 and your right, not cheap!

capt_jak_harkness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium
Country flag
@capt_jak_harkness Did you pick up your Mach E? How’d the PPF turn out?
I did pick it up!

It looks great so far! They let me know I might see some shifting, or bubbles over the next two weeks but that it's normal and it all should go away. I take it back in two weeks for a checkup. So far I can't see anything it looks flawless!

I need to take some photos and post them!

They ended up going around the Pony, but almost all the edges are wrapped and you can hardly tell there's even anything on it!

The only super visible seam so far is the side view mirrors. (Also, can someone else confirm there is a seam on the side mirror itself? Either that or I am going crazy or I might have a minor issue...)

And their customer service was really great!

HBGuy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: 2021 MME Prem LR-RD; 2013 Focus Electric
Occupation
IT Architect
Country flag
Thanks for the info. I contacted them for a quote. FYI, I was quoted $1995 for full front-end PPF at three locations in Huntington Beach that are within walking distance of each other.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
I did pick it up!

It looks great so far! They let me know I might see some shifting, or bubbles over the next two weeks but that it's normal and it all should go away. I take it back in two weeks for a checkup. So far I can't see anything it looks flawless!

I need to take some photos and post them!

They ended up going around the Pony, but almost all the edges are wrapped and you can hardly tell there's even anything on it!

The only super visible seam so far is the side view mirrors. (Also, can someone else confirm there is a seam on the side mirror itself? Either that or I am going crazy or I might have a minor issue...)

And their customer service was really great!
There is a "factory" seam on the side-view mirrors, so you aren't crazy.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Thanks for the info. I contacted them for a quote. FYI, I was quoted $1995 for full front-end PPF at three locations in Huntington Beach that are within walking distance of each other.
Sounds about right.

Mike16

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD ER Star White
Country flag
Can we have a picture of that seam you talking about? Can’t figure out what that is ?

mdolan92869

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e (Had '83 GT, '89 GT Ragtop, '13 GT)
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
Sorry I took so long, but I got a bunch of pictures of my driver side mirror today. It's folded in so I could get a good picture of the side normally near the window.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Paint Protection Film (PPF) such as XPEL for Mach-E IMG_2511
Ford Mustang Mach-E Paint Protection Film (PPF) such as XPEL for Mach-E IMG_2512
Ford Mustang Mach-E Paint Protection Film (PPF) such as XPEL for Mach-E IMG_2513
Ford Mustang Mach-E Paint Protection Film (PPF) such as XPEL for Mach-E IMG_2514
Ford Mustang Mach-E Paint Protection Film (PPF) such as XPEL for Mach-E IMG_2515
Ford Mustang Mach-E Paint Protection Film (PPF) such as XPEL for Mach-E IMG_2516

GrumblesTheDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GB FE
Country flag
Any updates from folks here who had to have their door emblems removed? Like @JellyBelly? I park amongst a bunch of jerks and am getting increasingly anxious about the inevitable door dings that plagued my last car. I was almost thinking about buying a bulk PPF roll to try and DIY my doors (since that becomes a little too pricey for a shop to do it in addition to partial front I'm getting.)

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I finally decided to do this. I've never done PPF or ceramic coatings on my cars before, but I really want to keep this car looking brand new.

I had 2 shops give me quotes for XPEL. I decided to go with the little more expensive one just because they've been around for years and seem to do great work. The only downside is they are booked a month out. So I'm scheduled to bring it in at the end of April. The shop basically gave me the ceramic coating "free" to match the quote at the cheaper shop. The cheaper shop also only used the 4yr coating from XPEL.

Here is my price breakdown:
XPEL Ultimate Plus 10 - $2810
(Front bumper, headlights, hood, fenders, A, B, C, D Pillars, rocker panels, side mirrors)

GTechniq Crystal Serum Ultra 9yr - $0
(Coating Entire Vehicle, including PPF)

GTechniq G1 Clear Vision Glass Coating - $254
(Coating all glass, Including roof)

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Picked up my car from the local XPEL shop and it looks great. Glad I read all the replies to this thread.

I wanted some protection for the top of the back bumper. There aren't any XPEL templates for this area, so I took a shot on the bumper protector from the Ford accessories site. The XPEL shop installed it no problem and it looks better than I thought. It has a nice texture to it that I wasn't expecting. It'll be interesting to see how it holds up.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Paint Protection Film (PPF) such as XPEL for Mach-E IMG_2516

I really like that textured surface. When I get Marlin back from the body shop and finally take him for PPF I'll see if they have this option. The idea of hitting the scuff plates (at least in front) is a great idea, too.

I've owned 9 cars with some for up to 9yrs and aside from chips on bumper, front grille, tip of the hood and A pillars, I've never had chips on front fenders, so I find it's a waste of money
Yes, but how many of those cars had full plastic front and rear ends? PPF really makes a difference in preventing cuts in plastic that wouldn't have happened back when the parts were painted steel.

OK, I was looking at the XPEL templates and when it came time to choose the submodel, there was one I didn't know about. ?
It's the upgrade that punches through traffic jams.

Suntek is the competitor to XPEL, I had the same thing said to me, each one felt one is better than the other. I went with XPEL because they had all of the templates etc.
I decided to go with Suntek since the Xpel guy wanted over $2K more for the whole deal -- mainly a higher cost of Xpel and the fact that the Xpel guy hand cuts everything. Yes, he's a real artist but I don't need the Mona Lisa.

capt_jak_harkness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium
Country flag
I finally decided to do this. I've never done PPF or ceramic coatings on my cars before, but I really want to keep this car looking brand new.

I had 2 shops give me quotes for XPEL. I decided to go with the little more expensive one just because they've been around for years and seem to do great work. The only downside is they are booked a month out. So I'm scheduled to bring it in at the end of April. The shop basically gave me the ceramic coating "free" to match the quote at the cheaper shop. The cheaper shop also only used the 4yr coating from XPEL.

Here is my price breakdown:
XPEL Ultimate Plus 10 - $2810
(Front bumper, headlights, hood, fenders, A, B, C, D Pillars, rocker panels, side mirrors)

GTechniq Crystal Serum Ultra 9yr - $0
(Coating Entire Vehicle, including PPF)

GTechniq G1 Clear Vision Glass Coating - $254
(Coating all glass, Including roof)
That is an AMAZING deal!

I paid almost the same just for the Xpel front (no pillars) and 10 only on the bumper.

Gtechniq is a great ceramic too to get it free

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Any updates from folks here who had to have their door emblems removed? Like @JellyBelly? I park amongst a bunch of jerks and am getting increasingly anxious about the inevitable door dings that plagued my last car. I was almost thinking about buying a bulk PPF roll to try and DIY my doors (since that becomes a little too pricey for a shop to do it in addition to partial front I'm getting.)
My door emblem is still not here ... supposed to be available this week. After it gets put on again will see if it really sticks and can withstand regular wash cycles and not have issues like some others.
Sponsored