Paint Protection Film (PPF) such as XPEL for Mach-E

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Got mine done Saturday with SunTek's new Reaction film, looks pretty good- if anything the hood looks even more glossy now than before. I haven't taken any pics after, but here is one in process. Had full hood done, partial fenders, mirrors, full bumper (including the black gloss parts), black door pillars, door edges, headlights, and rear trunk lid. I have some additional pieces of film for use later. If it weren't so expensive I would have covered all the black plastic on the car.

The film pretty much conceals the pits, defects obtained from the long QA in KC, and blemishes left from the front plate bracket. Still waffling on replacing it, using the plugs, or fabricating a low profile bracket myself.

So happy to finally get it out on the freeway, first time over 50 mph after the install.

IMG_6212.jpg
Ah, so did they just do the PPF directly over the front bracket holes? Any patching or plugging first?

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Alright, so here is where I ended up....

Shop 1 will install the Llumar 10yr partial front PPF next week. 18” of hood, bumper, partial fenders, side mirrors, door edges. $899. They didn’t offer a long-term ceramic.

Two weeks later, Shop 2 will install a 10yr ceramic to all paint (inc PPF), trim, and wheels: two coats of IGL Quartz Plus. Will also coat all glass with IGL Ecocoat Window. $1,100. They didn’t do PPF.

It’s a lot of money but I’m really worried how unforgiving this grabber blue paint will be if I don’t protect it.

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
They trim around the holes - leaving the film over the holes could potentially pull the film away from more area. If the dimples are there they will also trim around them.

I’m sure you could patch the holes and paint before doing the install, but that wasn’t my plan. Since the holes are there I will just reinstall the bracket/plate. Plugs would be the other way to go.

Ah, so did they just do the PPF directly over the front bracket holes? Any patching or plugging first?

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
They trim around the holes - leaving the film over the holes could potentially pull the film away from more area. If the dimples are there they will also trim around them.

I’m sure you could patch the holes and paint before doing the install, but that wasn’t my plan. Since the holes are there I will just reinstall the bracket/plate. Plugs would be the other way to go.
Ok thanks. That’s what I figured. Maybe I’ll just put the front bracket back on and put a university novelty plate there or something. Trouble is, I destroyed the three plastic rivets when removing the frame. Is that a common item at auto stores or my body shop that’s putting on the PPF?

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
Since the plate is required here in cali, and the damage is done, I decided to get the black 60s style plates that will look better on the front. The rivets have to be destroyed to get the bracket off, the dealer here gave me 3 from the parts dept. (normally $6 each.) You might be able to find replacements from other part stores, or less ideal replace with screws or another fastener (I would imagine that properly sized hallow wall anchors that expand similarly would work.)

The ford part number is W704342-S300 Since they are plastic, I would imagine they can be installed without a rivet tool.

Ok thanks. That’s what I figured. Maybe I’ll just put the front bracket back on and put a university novelty plate there or something. Trouble is, I destroyed the three plastic rivets when removing the frame. Is that a common item at auto stores or my body shop that’s putting on the PPF?

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Since the plate is required here in cali, and the damage is done, I decided to get the black 60s style plates that will look better on the front. The rivets have to be destroyed to get the bracket off, the dealer here gave me 3 from the parts dept. (normally $6 each.) You might be able to find replacements from other part stores, or less ideal replace with screws or another fastener (I would imagine that properly sized hallow wall anchors that expand similarly would work.)

The ford part number is W704342-S300 Since they are plastic, I would imagine they can be installed without a rivet tool.
Thanks. I’m gonna look for some plastic screws that will be gentle on the bumper but make it easier than the rivets if I want to take the frame off again.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Thanks. I’m gonna look for some plastic screws that will be gentle on the bumper but make it easier than the rivets if I want to take the frame off again.
That's what I did. Advanced Auto had tons in store, don't remember which one's I went with eventually. Think I ended up using some of the screw in expansion type.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
That's what I did. Advanced Auto had tons in store, don't remember which one's I went with eventually. Think I ended up using some of the screw in expansion type.
Any chance on finding a picture or part number? I’m very interested in putting mine back on with the same setup.

DocOfClocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Mach-E Premium AWD, CR-V Hybrid
Country flag
Went to a local detailer today to talk about ceramic coating today. The business has been there for 17 years and does high quality work. He uses Gtechniq coatings. Looking for opinions - this is a new experience for me as this is really the first car I've had that was worth the effort. I also need to be realistic about how much time/effort I will be putting in on maintenance, especially through the northern ohio winters.

He quoted me as follows:
$350 - 8-month ceramic with body prep
$550 - 2-year ceramic
$1300 - 5-year ceramic with single stage polish
$1700 - 9-year ceramic with single stage polish

He actually has you bring the car back to him a couple of weeks later to do a hand wash with him so he can show you how to properly maintain the car. Comments and suggestions welcome. I know there are a lot of DIYers here but I'm pretty sure I'd do a crappy job of it!

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Went to a local detailer today to talk about ceramic coating today. The business has been there for 17 years and does high quality work. He uses Gtechniq coatings. Looking for opinions - this is a new experience for me as this is really the first car I've had that was worth the effort. I also need to be realistic about how much time/effort I will be putting in on maintenance, especially through the northern ohio winters.

He quoted me as follows:
$350 - 8-month ceramic with body prep
$550 - 2-year ceramic
$1300 - 5-year ceramic with single stage polish
$1700 - 9-year ceramic with single stage polish

He actually has you bring the car back to him a couple of weeks later to do a hand wash with him so he can show you how to properly maintain the car. Comments and suggestions welcome. I know there are a lot of DIYers here but I'm pretty sure I'd do a crappy job of it!
On my Edge I had before the MME, I had a detail shop do one of the shorter term ceramic coatings. I think it was a 1 year coating. I would whole heartedly say stay away from that. It lasted about a month before it went back to not beading up water at all. And I keep my vehicle in the garage.

If you can afford it, I'd go for the 9 year, as that is the one that only a authorized dealer can purchase and apply.

And keep in mind, most of the cost on these is going to be the actual prep work, and not the cost of the product. The prep work is by far the most important part.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E Paint Protection Film (PPF) such as XPEL for Mach-E 20210413_191710

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
I finished my ceramic on Monday, I did a DIY of Armor Shield IX. I spent a good part of Sunday with the wash, iron-x, wash, clay bar, and wash again. It looks awesome! I put the ceramic on the wheels also, as much as I could reach without taking the wheels off. The full front XPEL was done weeks ago, so this finishes out the entire car protection except I need to put some tire protection still, probably 303 Tire Balm and Protectant. After that I will put something on the seats.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Does this include the trunk and rear bumper?

Is it all of the blue, what is not covered?

Like the rear back on the roof etc.

Thanks for posting it.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Any chance on figuring out what screws you used?

Thanks!

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Does this include the trunk and rear bumper?

Is it all of the blue, what is not covered?

Like the rear back on the roof etc.

Thanks for posting it.
Its listed on the quote what all is covered.

For XPEL, its their "Track Pack" that they modified a little. Front bumper, headlights, full hood, full front fenders, and mirrors. I also added on any of the glossy black on the sides, so the ABCD pillars and the bottom rocker panels.

The Ceramic Coating is the entire vehicle, even over the PPF. And also they are using the coating for the glass as well.
Sponsored