Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
UV is the opposite side of the visible spectrum from IR. The roof wont transmit much (if any) UV ... even without any coatings.

Plain ordinary glass blocks 100% of UVB and about 25% of UVA. That's not because of coatings ... it's just a property of glass (but it does need to be "glass" and not just something glass-like). But laminated glass does block about 99.9% of all UV radiation.

Also fun fact... green colored glass (such as those emerald green beer or wine bottles) also blocks all UV (blue colored glass does not).

I wold expect a UV meter to read pretty much nothing through that roof. IR is different... that's a much longer wavelength and IR can penetrate a lot of stuff. IR is just heat ... no danger of skin cancer (unlike UV). Gold reflective coatings are extremely good at reflecting IR (it's why the mirrors on NASA's James Webb space telescope are gold).
UV ab - as predicted by @TheVirtualTim UV under both of the windshield and the roof is "pretty much nothing"

UV light meter UV ab about 290-370nm, about 11:38 am EST, May 12, 2021, NY.

Pointed UV probe directly at sun, 10.47 to 10.52 milliwatts (mW)/cm^2 during testing period (about 10 minutes), UV probe (oriented about vertical) in open driver's window resting on the lower sill, 8.29 mW/cm^2 (so, probably another cosine probe, this time with a UV transparent window)

-> UV probe oriented about vertical on dash - 5 micro W/cm^2 ("pretty much nothing")

-> UV probe placed about against roof about vertical - 4 micro W/cm^2 ("pretty much nothing")

IR to follow, probably need to measure in relative darkness of night with an IR source (or, some kind of bandpass filter for sunlight IR, another possible option)
Sponsored

Last edited:

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Thanks @louibluey for testing this. If you do any more tests, I would suggest doing the testing around 1:00 p.m. your time. During daylight savings, solar ‘noon’ shifts one hour forward.

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Forgot to mention, I have been using about East - West car direction (front to West) my driveway direction, with sun about Southish.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
UV ab - as predicted by @TheVirtualTim UV under both of the windshield and the roof is "pretty much nothing"

UV light meter UV ab about 290-370nm, about 11:38 am, NY, est

Pointed UV probe directly at sun, 10.47 to 10.52 milli W/cm^2 during testing period (about 10 minutes), UV probe (oriented about vertical) in open driver's window resting on the lower sill, 8.29 mW/cm^2 (so, probably another cosine probe, this time with a UV transparent window)

-> UV probe oriented about vertical on dash - 5 micro W/cm^2 ("pretty much nothing")

-> UV probe placed about against roof about vertical - 4 micro W/cm^2 ("pretty much nothing")

IR to follow, probably need to measure in relative darkness of night with an IR source (short of some kind of bandpass filter for sunlight IR, another possible option)
Perfect. No sunscreen needed when driving!

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
BTW, I did check the roof for UV blocking today. I have a 365nm UV-A light that I use for physics demonstrations. 365nm is about 1/3rd of the way into the UV-A spectrum range of 315nm - 400nm. I have a card that will fluoresce brightly with the light. When I put the card inside the car and shine the UV-A light through the pano roof ... I get absolutely no fluorescence.

It's actually better than the coatings on my prescription lenses ... if I put a lens between my light and card I get an extremely weak glow ... so they block most of the UV-A, but not all of it.

I can't test the roof for UV-B ... but since ordinary glass tends to block UV-B naturally, I'm guessing the roof blocks all the UV-A and UV-B.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Thanks @louibluey for testing this. If you do any more tests, I would suggest doing the testing around 1:00 p.m. your time. During daylight savings, solar ‘noon’ shifts one hour forward.
Do you really think that will make ANY appreciable difference from "nothing"?

BTW, I did check the roof for UV blocking today. I have a 365nm UV-A light that I use for physics demonstrations. 365nm is about 1/3rd of the way into the UV-A spectrum range of 315nm - 400nm. I have a card that will fluoresce brightly with the light. When I put the card inside the car and shine the UV-A light through the pano roof ... I get absolutely no fluorescence.

It's actually better than the coatings on my prescription lenses ... if I put a lens between my light and card I get an extremely weak glow ... so they block most of the UV-A, but not all of it.

I can't test the roof for UV-B ... but since ordinary glass tends to block UV-B naturally, I'm guessing the roof blocks all the UV-A and UV-B.
So, the roof blocks UV and bald guys can't get sunburn from the roof?

Who knew Ford wasn't full of crap and not committing fraud ?

EVMELR

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Volt 2014 ELR 2017 Volt 2019 ETRON, Prem ExR
Country flag
Well it was 102 in Phx today and the heat coming in the glass roof was really bad, what will it be like when it is 115?? I think someone will come up with an insulated insert that fits somehow into the edge of the surrounding glass. Maybe Ford will!!

mylittlepony

First Name
Dominick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE
Country flag
Well it was 102 in Phx today and the heat coming in the glass roof was really bad, what will it be like when it is 115?? I think someone will come up with an insulated insert that fits somehow into the edge of the surrounding glass. Maybe Ford will!!
I plan on getting the clear 70% IR tint installed on roof like I put on inside windshield because that glass roof is hot to touch even in 75° sunny San Diego!

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
For a first look at IR, I filled four black antistatic bags with moist sand to give them some heat capacity (to get an average measurement less affected by breeze). Plan is to put each one on a bubble wrap insulation layer, maybe one on the roof, one on the dash, and two somewhere on the seats. Then, after some tens of minutes, measure the temperature of each one (while shaded from sunlight, in place). Will try to make the measurement closer to 1 pm, not sure on windows open, probably best, but pollen is still a problem here.

This method should include the near 1000 nm and mid IR spectrum 2,000 to 8,000 nm, which I think is what we mostly feel as heating to our skin.

If it works, this method is so easy to reproduce, it might be useful later for seeing changes (if any) for those doing tinting.

Last edited:
Reactions: ARK

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
So, the roof blocks UV and bald guys can't get sunburn from the roof?

Who knew Ford wasn't full of crap and not committing fraud ?
?

I've spoken with Ron Heiser about the roof and windshield. His comment about the choice of IRR windshield and Low-E roof was "This combination does the job in terms of heat transmission into the interior of the vehicle." Based on my experience so far, including the South Florida sun, he's right!
Sponsored