RosarioM

First Name
Rosario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e GT
Country flag
Does anyone know if the panoramic roof weighs significantly more than the metal or is it about the same? Are there any advantages (either performance or range) to one or the other?
Sponsored

Peaceowl

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE, Audi Q5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That’s a good question. I don’t have the glass top so curious also. Sorry, no help.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
It weighs more.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Does anyone know if the panoramic roof weighs significantly more than the metal or is it about the same? Are there any advantages (either performance or range) to one or the other?
Estimates seem to be around the 60 lb mark (someone added up all the parts weight).

On a 5000 lb suv, you would never notice the difference.

Avelli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E91 6MT RWD, 22 MME GT
Country flag
Parts.Ford.com lists the glass roof (74500A18) at 199.0 lbs. That's just the glass (and no trim pieces or whatnot).

The metal roof panel is also listed (5850202), which includes a listing for all parts. Summing the exterior bits adds up to a bit over 100 lbs.

The headliner is listed in Other trim parts, and lists at 24 lbs. Add the assist handles and visors and it totals less than 30 lbs.

So it adds up to an approximate 60 lb difference.

(From the discussion thread titled "Doug Demuro reviews the Mach-E GT (non-PE)")

Last edited:

Guppydriver

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat PB
Country flag
I just ordered an F150 and was concerned about payload. I think the twin panel roof in that added just over 60 pounds , so I bet 60 is a solid guess

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Advantage: view ability and cool and most folks want it. Increased value.
Disadvantage: visible from rear seat only, weight, wind noise , susceptible to stone chips, and heat loss in Winter. It radiates cold into the car if you are in a cold climate.

But it’s cool, literally.

If I could have had a loaded premium without it, I would have. I shopped for a GT before the premium. I could not get Bluecruise without the glass roof option.

OP
OP
RosarioM

RosarioM

First Name
Rosario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e GT
Country flag
The additional weight of the glass roof, as compared with the steel roof, is calculated here at 27 pounds. The calculation is based on published GVWR and max payloads for cars with and without the glass.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...-4-mile-in-12-657-100-02-mph.9031/post-239235
So if I ever line up with a non PE GT with the panoramic roof I’ll blow its doors off. Unless I’m racing a skinny guy or I don’t have a small child in the car with me ?

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
So if I ever line up with a non PE GT with the panoramic roof I’ll blow its doors off. Unless I’m racing a skinny guy or I don’t have a small child in the car with me ?
Precisely.

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Or heavy air in your tires. That New Jersey air can be pretty heavy.
Sponsored