JonathanEzor

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT, Taurus, C-MAX Energi, Chrysler PacHy
Country flag
I don't know if this is a real product (or will be), or whether it's just a flyer from the company to judge interest, but here's a Tesla accessories company advertising a clip-on internal sun shade for the Mustang Mach E. Folks may want to check it out. {Jonathan}
Sponsored

Irfan

First Name
Irfan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e
Occupation
Investments
Country flag
I have a reservation on a GT and when I found out there would be no sunshade (like I have on my Macan) I was concerned since I live in Florida and the summers are brutal and the sun shines most of the time year round. Does anyone else have this concern? As an experiment, I started driving my Macan full-time with the sunshade retracted just to see if I could stand it. Surprisingly (to me), it has NOT been an issue! Even when the sun is shining directly on me, it's not a problem. Hopefully it will be the same with the GT.
I’ve been driving the Mach E for about 2 weeks in sunny Southern California and I’ve observed that the tint of the panoramic glass is a bit darker on the Mach e than in my daughters tesla3. However the rear occupants did find the sun in their eyes a bit annoying.

sldave84

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e GT
Country flag
I have a reservation on a GT and when I found out there would be no sunshade (like I have on my Macan) I was concerned since I live in Florida and the summers are brutal and the sun shines most of the time year round. Does anyone else have this concern? As an experiment, I started driving my Macan full-time with the sunshade retracted just to see if I could stand it. Surprisingly (to me), it has NOT been an issue! Even when the sun is shining directly on me, it's not a problem. Hopefully it will be the same with the GT.
Can confirm even with the sun shining in the roof it is not bright or hot. I was showing my mom the car yesterday and she didn’t reali3 it had a full glass roof til I pointed it out and it was sunny with no clouds in the sky. I had the same concern as you did

Irfan

First Name
Irfan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e
Occupation
Investments
Country flag
The panoramic sunroof was of concern to me as well. I have a Tesla 3 with the same feature, and I feel it does become somewhat uncomfortable if the car is parked in the sun for a few hours. It takes about 10 minutes with the A/C on full blast to feel comfortable. However I’ve noticed that my Mach E has a darker tint than the Tesla 3 so hopefully this will be less on an issue, although I won’t know for sure until summer of 2021.

mr_raider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
From what has been discussed on the webcasts by the Ford officials, they have stated there is an anti-InfraRed Light and an anti-UV light coating on the panoramic roof which keeps the vehicle cool in the summer and warm in the winter.
Cool in summer and warm in winter? I'd be curious to know how they manage that?

waldo1949

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue mach e 4x
Country flag
I really don't think you will need a shade. It was full sun today and I looked straight up. It was like looking through sunglasses. I sat in the car for quite sometime and did not feel like I was getting sun beating down on me.
Ditto!

Trede

First Name
Trede
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Anti-UV (keeps it from getting hot from the sun) and Anti-InfraRed (keeps heat from getting out) coatings.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
Anti-UV (keeps it from getting hot from the sun) and Anti-InfraRed (keeps heat from getting out) coatings.
Heat in a car mostly comes from infrared, not UV. UV blocking mostly helps protect against skin cancer and fading of interior materials.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Can confirm even with the sun shining in the roof it is not bright or hot. I was showing my mom the car yesterday and she didn’t reali3 it had a full glass roof til I pointed it out and it was sunny with no clouds in the sky. I had the same concern as you did
Same here in cloudless Florida mid-day sun.

“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic” -- Arthur C. Clarke

Trede

First Name
Trede
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Heat in a car mostly comes from infrared, not UV. UV blocking mostly helps protect against skin cancer and fading of interior materials.
Right you are! My bad. Not sure why I thought heat in/out was split UV/IR.

All Hat No Cattle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Genesis GV-80 , 2017 Edge Titanium
Country flag
If you are in the so-called Sunbelt, where it gets hot as hell, I would bookmark the link that Jonathan posted above.

https://www.tesmanian.com/products/ford-mustang-mach-e-glass-roof-sunshade

I can verify, by way of my laser thermometer, that here in Vegas, while a dark-tinted sunroof may keep the glare out of your eyes, the glass still gets hotter than the ambient temperature. Glass that your MME has to cool down with your A/C.

So when you get into your vehicle on a hot, sunny, day, that glass 3" above your head can be 120°+.

I proved this to my wife on her Edge, the glass exposed by her retracted sunshade was measurably hotter than the shaded glass on her Panoramic roof. And that is with a ceramic tint on the glass.

So now she keeps the shade closed until the A/C is running full blast. :)

Those in the higher latitudes can ignore this advice, just as I ignore the posts about snow tires.:)
Sponsored