Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Porsche Macan S
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have a reservation on a GT and when I found out there would be no sunshade (like I have on my Macan) I was concerned since I live in Florida and the summers are brutal and the sun shines most of the time year round. Does anyone else have this concern? As an experiment, I started driving my Macan full-time with the sunshade retracted just to see if I could stand it. Surprisingly (to me), it has NOT been an issue! Even when the sun is shining directly on me, it's not a problem. Hopefully it will be the same with the GT.
Sponsored

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X-Space White, 1 Ford Flex, 2 Ford Escapes
Country flag
I have a reservation on a GT and when I found out there would be no sunshade (like I have on my Macan) I was concerned since I live in Florida and the summers are brutal and the sun shines most of the time year round. Does anyone else have this concern? As an experiment, I started driving my Macan full-time with the sunshade retracted just to see if I could stand it. Surprisingly (to me), it has NOT been an issue! Even when the sun is shining directly on me, it's not a problem. Hopefully it will be the same with the GT.
I think you will find that the case.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
Don't know about the Macan, but the Mach-E does have tinting/coatings to help with heat rejection. The Phoenix crew on the forums share the concern.

Az MachE

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
From what has been discussed on the webcasts by the Ford officials, they have stated there is an anti-InfraRed Light and an anti-UV light coating on the panoramic roof which keeps the vehicle cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

abr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME FE RR, 2019 Fusion PHEV
Country flag
Spoke to one of the Ford guys today at the Mach E tour and he drove it for 120 miles yesterday around Los Angeles and had no heat or sun issues at all. Says it doesn't need a shade.

MerryBrown

First Name
Mary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Escape, Red Ford Mach-E on order
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
I really don't think you will need a shade. It was full sun today and I looked straight up. It was like looking through sunglasses. I sat in the car for quite sometime and did not feel like I was getting sun beating down on me.

OP
OP

jloss

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Porsche Macan S
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Spoke to one of the Ford guys today at the Mach E tour and he drove it for 120 miles yesterday around Los Angeles and had no heat or sun issues at all. Says it doesn't need a shade.
Great!

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
Doesn‘t the GT come stock with a steel roof?
I believe the glass roof can be optioned later but no one knows that for sure. As it currently configures when you reserve it, it's solid

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
That is encouraging but I remain sceptical. It was in the high 90s this week and yeah, the heat from the glass roof wasn't an issue.

But those that live here in Phoenix will tell you that 99 degrees in October is VERY mild compared to 115 in July. It is like a different planet during July and August around here.....

I would LOVE to be able to eat my words this time next year but I will proceed with caution until I have suffered through my first summer with the MME. If it passes here then the rest of you are home free.

Ponypower50

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 CMax, 2021 Rapid Red Mach-E FE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks for the post!

Colorado Native

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 BMW 530xi, 2005 Toyota 4Runner
Country flag
I've been also considering a Volvo XC40 Pure Recharge, and it has an integrated power sunshade that looks great and works nicely. It's one of a few things that make the XC40 more appealing.

Another is that the infotainment system is built on Android Automotive, which is EXCELLENT. Ford has signed an agreement to use AA in the future, and I would love to see it back-ported to the 2021 MME. Not holding my breath.
Sponsored

Last edited: