FCCinAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mache
Country flag
If I should ever have to replace my Jeep Wrangler glass I am going with the Gorilla.

I am lost if the dealer covered it for $100 with Ford paying or is the dealer using the OP's insurance policy?
That’s awesome that you have a 17 and haven’t replaced it yet. I’m on number 2 on my 20. Someone in the forum had theirs crack when the stock antenna snapped back after catching on a branch and hitting the windshield. Enough Jeep talk in a Mache forum.

OP
OP

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
That's what I've been asking, but I'm not sure we've gotten a clear answer.
Insurance claim $250 deductible route so far. Waiting for more info. The dealer wouldn't cover it either way. It would either be Ford, or Insurance.

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
I think it would be nearly impossible to prove that it was a manufacturing defect. Though certain % of glass will shatter on its own due to internal stress. I've had a glass door that was perfectly fine for many years and one day I heard a cracking sound and the next moment it shattered into a thousand of small pieces. No way to prove it was a manufacturing defect.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
No way to prove it was a manufacturing defect.
The argument would be that, absent some other situation like an impact, glass doesn't shatter unless there was a manufacturing defect. Keep in mind that "proof" in this context means more likely than not, not to any degree of certainty.

JonathanEzor

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT, Taurus, C-MAX Energi, Chrysler PacHy
Country flag
The argument would be that, absent some other situation like an impact, glass doesn't shatter unless there was a manufacturing defect. Keep in mind that "proof" in this context means more likely than not, not to any degree of certainty.
Ultimately, we as consumers are between two very *large* corporations, Ford and our insurance provider. They will do what they will do, they will absorb whatever costs or risks they want, they both likely have lots of in-house lawyers for whom they don't pay hourly rates, and in the end, we will live with whatever they work out. The only things we *should* demand in these situations are that (a) our insurance premiums don't go up and (b) any replacement glass is of at least equal quality and gets covered by *someone's* warranty. {Jonathan}

OP
OP

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
I think it would be nearly impossible to prove that it was a manufacturing defect. Though certain % of glass will shatter on its own due to internal stress. I've had a glass door that was perfectly fine for many years and one day I heard a cracking sound and the next moment it shattered into a thousand of small pieces. No way to prove it was a manufacturing defect.
That's why I'm not pushing the matter. Just want it fixed right with no residual damage from the removal process.

OP
OP

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
Did Ford deny warranty coverage or have you not heard back yet?
no word back, but I'd be shocked if they even address it. I would suspect they would have to have a bunch of these to even look into it realistically.

Sobeer

First Name
TIM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 FE MME
Country flag
Update... Got a call today that the glass roof had arrived at the dealer. Took the car over to the dealer. I asked how long it should take to replace. He told me just the day. I got a call this evening from the service center telling me that they will have to call in a glass company to handle the repair. I do not see this going well. I had already called Safelite Autoglass they will not do glass roofs. I guess I will have the loaner/rental F150 Platinum for a while longer.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Now that I have my car.. I feel that the glass roof sticking up slightly mat be an intentional fit, with varying tolerances.
Mine sticks up slightly, but there's a rubber guard/gasket surrounding the entire edge of it, most notably, protecting the leading edge.
It would take quite an impact to cause some damage there. I can't see this happening easily.

Mike16

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD ER Star White
Country flag
Now that I have my car.. I feel that the glass roof sticking up slightly mat be an intentional fit, with varying tolerances.
Mine sticks up slightly, but there's a rubber guard/gasket surrounding the entire edge of it, most notably, protecting the leading edge.
It would take quite an impact to cause some damage there. I can't see this happening easily.
The rubber guard/gasket is not installed that well on every car, mine is like 1/16 lower then the glass roof
Ford Mustang Mach-E Part of My Roof Shattered / Cracked E3190518-3F1C-4E38-9949-EAAD58EFC408

Kind of hard to see, but here’s a pic of another mme from my dealer that is better installed, ne flush
Ford Mustang Mach-E Part of My Roof Shattered / Cracked 9C859633-473C-47CD-8F14-D4185D07E751

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
The rubber guard/gasket is not installed that well on every car, mine is like 1/16 lower then the glass roof
Ford Mustang Mach-E Part of My Roof Shattered / Cracked 9C859633-473C-47CD-8F14-D4185D07E751

Kind of hard to see, but here’s a pic of another mme from my dealer that is better installed, ne flush
Hmmm.. thanks for the pictures. That definitely seems like it needs to be fixed. That doesn't look right at all. Mine is up flush with the glass.

Wildthing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag

Mine is dirty as hell but looks like yours
Ford Mustang Mach-E Part of My Roof Shattered / Cracked Mach-E roof
Sponsored