Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Just got my car out of the shop. It was in for a week while the windshield was replaced. Dealer said they have one more MME with a broken windshield which is fairly common in AZ. :(

Workmanship looks good. They had to recalibrate the cameras for the Co-Pilot features. Seems to drive same as before. ?

20210326_085942.jpg

20210326_085923.jpg

SoriceConsulting

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sorice.com
Vehicles
2023 GTPE, Rapid Red
Occupation
IT Consultant
Country flag
There are several threads about the glass roof regarding alignment, noise, whether it should be flush with windshield, etc. I think this photo (provided on the thread Panoramic roof - Windshield misaligned! | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum - MachEforum.com ) clearly shows that the roof alignment is an issue. I think it should be flush and a raised one is a defect. Why would Ford design a glass roof to stick up above the windshield and invite air flow, noise, rock hit, etc. problems)?
(Note: I inserted the Callout). Just my opinion...

Ford Mustang Mach-E Part of My Roof Shattered / Cracked 1616850621893

Last edited:
OP
OP

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
Hopefully my roof replacement will be in this coming week. I can only imagine that if the Ford factory can't get it flush, the body shop has little to no chance. I'm expecting a mini disaster quite frankly.

OP
OP

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
Now that I have my car.. I feel that the glass roof sticking up slightly mat be an intentional fit, with varying tolerances.
Mine sticks up slightly, but there's a rubber guard/gasket surrounding the entire edge of it, most notably, protecting the leading edge.
It would take quite an impact to cause some damage there. I can't see this happening easily.
Well mine was shattered from the edge back, and I didn't hear any impact at all. So your theory doesn't quite work. These panos are very fragile apparently. Just look at my original picture. The v fans right from the front edge of the pano glass.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Hopefully my roof replacement will be in this coming week. I can only imagine that if the Ford factory can't get it flush, the body shop has little to no chance. I'm expecting a mini disaster quite frankly.
Lets pray it wont be a disaster - but agree its a challenging shape/ design to put together perfectly.

OttawaGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD SR, F150 XLT Special Edition
Occupation
Busy!
Country flag
Test drove one today and took some pics of the roof and gasket

20210327_140954_HDR.jpg

20210327_140956.jpg

20210327_141000_HDR.jpg

LagerHead

Banned
Banned
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ford F-150, 2018 Tesla Model 3 & 2 Ducati M/C
Occupation
Test Dummy
Country flag
Sorry that this happened... hope this is due something like a strong hit and not an internal crack that just opened up. It just sucks as the wait for replacement part is probably long.
That doesn't look like any impact fracture I've ever seen.

I'm thinking the glass was defective (depending upon how it's cooled it can develop latent internal stresses). Then all it took was a little chassis flex to cause failure. I'm sure Ford will cover it under warranty because I don't see the tell-tail signs of impact.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Well mine was shattered from the edge back, and I didn't hear any impact at all. So your theory doesn't quite work. These panos are very fragile apparently. Just look at my original picture. The v fans right from the front edge of the pano glass.
You would have definitely heard an impact to cause a crack like what you showed. That's what I'm getting at -- I think it's actually a fault in the glass roof, now. And as such should be covered under warranty.

LagerHead

Banned
Banned
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Test Dummy
Country flag
Man, I really don't like how that shattered and more importantly, cracked, yikes. Worse part is as an early adopter (so to speak) no one knows, yet, if this is a real problem or not. They might recall them but it won't be for awhile.

Personally, i hate glass on the roof. In most cars, a moon / sun roof cuts head room which is a problem for me and my long torso. Usually, you lose an inch with them, which in some brands like Toyota, is fatal for a car purchase. With the Ford and Teslas I worry about the summer.
The glass roof increases occupant safety by transfering crash impact loads more effectively than a metal roof. This is well documented. A metal roof just crumples and once that happens it can't offer much resistance. A glass roof might crack but it can transfer the crash energy to the entire roof helping prevent intrusions into the sides of the passenger compartment.

A glass roof also can help increase headroom and/or reduce frontal area which lowers aerodynamic drag and increases range on the highway.

I hate sunroofs because I'm quite tall and they reduce headroom, typically by a little more than an inch. But I love the glass roof on on our Model 3's. I've been through three summers including some desert travel with hot days and intense sun and it's not a problem. At all. I think a metal roof might radiate more heat on a hot day. At least with the coatings used on our Tesla's. Modern glass coatings are flippin' amazing!

EV's need to reduce the load on the A/C for range reasons so there is extra incentive to use good coatings.

LagerHead

Banned
Banned
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Test Dummy
Country flag
Sure, I could see that. But then why would they invent a deductible?
Here's my informed speculation:

Ford figured when the insurance company saw the photo, they would say it's not an impact fracture and send it back to Ford. Ford figured they would be $100 ahead if they just fixed it and gouged the customer for $100.

As long as the customer doesn't catch on, everyone is happy!

I would tell Ford you don't want to pay the $100 "deductible" since it looks like a stress fracture, not impact.

OP
OP

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
Here's my informed speculation:

Ford figured when the insurance company saw the photo, they would say it's not an impact fracture and send it back to Ford. Ford figured they would be $100 ahead if they just fixed it and gouged the customer for $100.

As long as the customer doesn't catch on, everyone is happy!

I would tell Ford you don't want to pay the $100 "deductible" since it looks like a stress fracture, not impact.
Ford didn't even bother to look at it. The deductible was $250 however. It's not worth it to me to pick this fight. I'm sure I would lose. I really didn't expect much from Ford when I purchased this car. And I still don't. But I was aware of what I would get. I've dealt with Ford before many times.

LagerHead

Banned
Banned
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Test Dummy
Country flag
Did you make an appointment with the service dept? How could they refuse to look at it?
Exactly! I know it seems like a hassle that is not worth the $250 but sometimes it's important to stand up for principles. Otherwise they will do this to every Ford owner who ends up on the short end of the stick when it comes to a faulty piece of glass. Ford has a certain responsiblity to insure their suppliers are meeting minimum quality standards. Just because the glass looked normal when Ford installed it doesn't mean it wasn't defective. A certain percentage ARE defective, even from a quality glass supplier. Ultimately, this is Ford's responsibility.

I don't think this will be hard to achieve the proper resolution since I think anyone who knows about glass will likely say that is a stress fracture, not an impact fracture. They are two totally different modes of failure. One is covered under warranty law since it's a manufacturing defect, the other is not. None of this is new to the industry, Ford is just trying to save money by playing the odds and denying responsibility.

JSW

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt; Porsche Boxster; Chevy Blazer; Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
He’s getting his car fixed at a price he found reasonable. Avoiding a multi-company responsibility battle may well be worth that price to him. If it acts as an accelerant to getting his car fixed, better still.

Telling someone they have a duty to endure a fight between to large companies because you want him to defend your principle is not reasonable, and in my view, declaring it will not be “hard” to win a multi-corporate battle is naïve.
Sponsored