Peeling paint on panel under shark fin antenna

jdpdx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E ER AWD Premium
Country flag
Have an AWD Extended range Premium with all glass roof. Purchased a little over a year ago. Been outside in generally mild PNW weather. Was loading groceries and saw what looked like peeling paint. Got home and gave it a quick rinse and the paint around the edge of that panel is definitely bubbling/peeling off. Not sure what substrate is used for that piece but I don't think it's glass. Should be a fun conversation with the dealer when I get a chance to get there.

I searched around a bit and couldn't find any conversations about this area peeling. So appears to be a new thing.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Peeling paint on panel under shark fin antenna PXL_20220730_180143230.MP
Sponsored

MarkP213

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X Premium, Infinite Blue
Country flag
Out of curiosity, did you have the glass roof recall done recently?

OP
OP
jdpdx

jdpdx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E ER AWD Premium
Country flag
We were supposed to, but it's just been a pain to get things scheduled. We have not done the recall yet.

MarkP213

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
We were supposed to, but it's just been a pain to get things scheduled. We have not done the recall yet.
Ok, good to know. Mine goes in on Monday for the glass recalls. I was thinking maybe they took a heat gun to loosen the adhesive and melted your paint. But glad that’s not the case!

I would hope Ford takes care of whatever happened to your paint for you!

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Paint is covered for defects for the first 36,000 miles.

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
That piece on mine had noticeable paint issue on delivery. I tried buffing it out but the defect appeared to be under the paint/coating (dealers' body shop had the same result,) not sure if it's metal or plastic. Should be easy to remove/paint since your photo confirms it's a painted part. No idea what would have cause that degree of peeling at the edge other than improper cleaning before paint was applied or something corrosive used to clean the glass (not by you.)

Ford Mustang Mach-E Peeling paint on panel under shark fin antenna trim - 1

The recall doesn't require removing the roof, all work is done from the interior- basically just adding adhesive.

MarkP213

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The recall doesn't require removing the roof, all work is done from the interior- basically just adding adhesive.
[/QUOTE]

Thank you, that makes me feel a little bit better. I just hope they don’t muck up the interior. 😳

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Have an AWD Extended range Premium with all glass roof. Purchased a little over a year ago. Been outside in generally mild PNW weather. Was loading groceries and saw what looked like peeling paint. Got home and gave it a quick rinse and the paint around the edge of that panel is definitely bubbling/peeling off. Not sure what substrate is used for that piece but I don't think it's glass. Should be a fun conversation with the dealer when I get a chance to get there.

I searched around a bit and couldn't find any conversations about this area peeling. So appears to be a new thing.
Hey there. Can you please send over a private message with your VIN along with the name and location of your local Ford dealer? I would like to look into this paint concern on my end.

Monke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag

If I were you, I would make sure to let the dealer know that only a body shop can touch the car not a mobile paint touch up company.

After looking closely at the picture, the defective area seems to have another kind/color of paint along the edge. Your car is DMG right? The edge seems to be just normal black. It is hard to make a conclusion from the picture.

Last edited:

Monke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
That piece on mine had noticeable paint issue on delivery. I tried buffing it out but the defect appeared to be under the paint/coating (dealers' body shop had the same result,) not sure if it's metal or plastic. Should be easy to remove/paint since your photo confirms it's a painted part. No idea what would have cause that degree of peeling at the edge other than improper cleaning before paint was applied or something corrosive
I had a Maverick hybrid in hot pepper red and it has the similar defect under the clear coat near the roof antenna like yours. It was under the clear coat and on the roof so I did not bother trying to get it fixed under the warranty. It seems to be a quality control issue.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
That piece on mine had noticeable paint issue on delivery. I tried buffing it out but the defect appeared to be under the paint/coating (dealers' body shop had the same result,) not sure if it's metal or plastic. Should be easy to remove/paint since your photo confirms it's a painted part. No idea what would have cause that degree of peeling at the edge other than improper cleaning before paint was applied or something corrosive used to clean the glass (not by you.)

Ford Mustang Mach-E Peeling paint on panel under shark fin antenna PXL_20220802_140735057.MP

What happened is Ford puts white sticky plastic on this area for shipping, however the edge of the plastic gets lifted up, dirt sticks to it, and then it flaps around in the wind the whole time your car is in transport. The sand it picks up scratches the paint, it's like rubbing sandpaper on it for days. That's why the scratches have an arc shape around the point the plastic was attached. Mine has the same problem, I took off the plastic myself when it was delivered and saw what happened. It will require a heavy scratch removal with a power buffer to remove, and may not completely come out without repainting. The shark fin area is steel since a magnet sticks to it.

I also have a lot of damage on my rear gate spoiler from the same thing. The plastic stayed stuck on one side but not the other.

Ironically the plastic was put on to prevent damage, but it ended up causing a lot of damage. Ford should remove the horizontal plastic from the top of the vehicle before shipping so it doesn't scratch the hell out of the paint flapping in the wind.

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
Thanks for the explanation, totally makes sense now. I should have made them repaint that piece but as it was on top, and I had plenty other small issues on delivery, I let it go. I should have tried the magnet trick!

What happened is Ford puts white sticky plastic on this area for shipping, however the edge of the plastic gets lifted up, dirt sticks to it, and then it flaps around in the wind the whole time your car is in transport. The sand it picks up scratches the paint, it's like rubbing sandpaper on it for days. That's why the scratches have an arc shape around the point the plastic was attached. Mine has the same problem, I took off the plastic myself when it was delivered and saw what happened. It will require a heavy scratch removal with a power buffer to remove, and may not completely come out without repainting. The shark fin area is steel since a magnet sticks to it.

I also have a lot of damage on my rear gate spoiler from the same thing. The plastic stayed stuck on one side but not the other.

Ironically the plastic was put on to prevent damage, but it ended up causing a lot of damage. Ford should remove the horizontal plastic from the top of the vehicle before shipping so it doesn't scratch the hell out of the paint flapping in the wind.
Sponsored